Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #1441
Winnebago Master

Good catch! I have two 230ah 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series. The Napa ones we all started with are only 180 amp hours total and can’t be drained as far or often as the true deep cycle golf cart batteries.
Not even close to the benefits of LifePo4’s, but at $240 for the pair vs. ~$900 for 1, I’ll be fine. For now anyway

Btw, for those who don’t know, the LifePo4’s (Battleborn, etc) won’t charge if it’s under 25*F. If you put them in the stock location you’ll need to enclose it and run a heater duct to the area for cold climates. Or move them to the storage compartment nextdoor, or even under the kitchen sink. They don’t outgas, so it’s safe.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #1442
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Good catch! I have two 230ah 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series. The Napa ones we all started with are only 180 amp hours total and can’t be drained as far or often as the true deep cycle golf cart batteries.
Not even close to the benefits of LifePo4’s, but at $240 for the pair vs. ~$900 for 1, I’ll be fine. For now anyway

Btw, for those who don’t know, the LifePo4’s (Battleborn, etc) won’t charge if it’s under 25*F. If you put them in the stock location you’ll need to enclose it and run a heater duct to the area for cold climates. Or move them to the storage compartment nextdoor, or even under the kitchen sink. They don’t outgas, so it’s safe.
Interesting. Sounds like you’re all set.

I did a semi real world experiment too, but in my driveway.

Ran everything like we were away—three refrigerators, lights, fans, led mood lighting, all tvs. Cycled it like we were in it all day and night.
My 200watt portable Renogy suitcase maintained the batteries, but weren’t enough to actually add anything back into them, so I ran a deficit at night.

Only thing I wasn’t doing, is opening and closing the refrigerators, so the draw would have ostensibly been higher.

This was with three battle borns, now I have four. No room for any more IMHO.

Good thing I live in Ca. Never gets that cold. But I’m sealing up the OEM battery bay, and the other two are in the basement next door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3593E0BE-C366-4CD9-997F-6F883545230D.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	178425   Click image for larger version

Name:	2B982048-6A52-4563-BE96-7D2532C13E14.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	178426  

Old 04-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #1443
Winnebago Master

You’ve got the fancy Victron! I’ve just got the basic phone app.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #1444
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Yes the temp cutoff of LifePo4's is a concern for me. Even in Arizona here it gets down to the 20's. If my 2 AGM's are still good I would use them for the cold. I think they will charge with the lithium batts ok. I may have to check this matching setup.

6 v golf cart batteries are surely a workhorse. Had many sets of the Trojan brand. They have power. Only thing I didn't like was the high maintenance and mushrooming around the connectors. They always needed water. In fact Trojan offered an automatic watering system for their batteries. But well, that was in the early 2000 years. Maybe they improved on them by now..
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #1445
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Yes the temp cutoff of LifePo4's is a concern for me. Even in Arizona here it gets down to the 20's. If my 2 AGM's are still good I would use them for the cold. I think they will charge with the lithium batts ok. I may have to check this matching setup.

6 v golf cart batteries are surely a workhorse. Had many sets of the Trojan brand. They have power. Only thing I didn't like was the high maintenance and mushrooming around the connectors. They always needed water. In fact Trojan offered an automatic watering system for their batteries. But well, that was in the early 2000 years. Maybe they improved on them by now..
From what I have learned about the Lithium batteries, talking with the experts at WFCO, and Battle Born.

The bottom line is, you can’t mix different batteries with different charging profiles. It may technically “work”, but you’ll be sacrificing the balancing and full charge potential for the lithiums, and perhaps overcharging the AGM, or FLA Batteries.

FLA and AGM, want no more than 13.6v bulk charge voltage, while lithium’s NEED 14.6.

AGM and FLA require a float charge, while lithium’s do not want or need that.

A great three stage Charger is ideal for FLA or AGM, while lithium’s don’t want the last stage-float, hence the WFCO lithium charger add on (swap out) eliminates the float charge, and increase the bulk charge from 13.6v to 14.6v.
Make sense?

In fact, even Battle Born doesn’t recommend adding batteries of their own of different ages into the mix.

The latter, I find a bit dubious. Sort of like the fox guarding the hen house.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #1446
Winnebago Master

BB isn’t suggesting anything to their advantage. It’s common to keep all of your batteries the same age, regardless of type.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #1447
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
BB isn’t suggesting anything to their advantage. It’s common to keep all of your batteries the same age, regardless of type.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #1448
ottojf

Where in Florida Are you. We are in Zephyrhills. I would like to talk to you about the things that Winnebago should have done in the first time. I take delivery on 2018 Intent 26m on Monday. The more I read I wonder if I did the right thing!!!
[email protected]
ottojf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #1449
ottojf

I want to do what you did can you provide more info about installation and which screeen you purchased
[email protected]
Old 04-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #1450
ottojf

I realize your post is two years old but where did you get track bar for two hundred dollars. Amazon wants 635.00 for super steer. Do I understand that you added track bar and not an additional stabilizer. At what point is there over kill?
Old 04-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #1451
Winnebago Master

ottojf, welcome to Club INTENT!

I don’t know who you are directing your questions too. There are many INTENT owners in this ongoing, never ending thread. Several of us also have the 26m.
I suggest you start on page 1 and read through as there is a TON of information you WILL want to know.

As for your question “is it overkill?” No! Especially in the 26m. The short wheelbase and very long rear overhang have handling characteristics that BEG for aftermarket components.

Many of us have our suspension upgrades listed in our signature at the bottom of our posts.

Start with a professional alignment who specializes in RV’s or big rigs. Don’t be satisfied with “in spec”. You need TOE IN.

Most people immediately do the CHF, or Cheap Handling Fix. This is free. Slide under the RV and look at the front and rear sway bars. You’ll notice 2 holes on each end, with the link attached to the outer hole. Simply move the link to the inner hole. This reduces the amount of sway, like going in or out of a driveway at an angle. You’ll stay more upright with less sway. The front can have a negative effect and feel more harsh. It’s a trade off.
There’s several hundred pages discussing the CHF on IRV2.com. It’s specific to the Ford F53 chassis, which most RV’s are built on.

Next is a steering stabilizer and rear trac bar. The stabilizer will help keep the RV going straight down the highway. The trac bar will tame the “tail wagging the dog” caused by being passed by a big semi, wind, or towing a car.

If you want it better, next is to replace the front sway bar and add a rear facing sway bar. This will help with the side to side rocking from wind or uneven road.

Sumo springs will help smooth the ride on big bumps.

Try to load as much weight forward, it will help keep the front end planted for positive steering. The fuel tank and water tanks are all behind the rear axle creating a horrible weight bias.

I know it’s a lot to take in! Read the 73 pages here and you’ll be an expert!
We’re all here to help out.

-Robb
Old 04-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #1452
ottojf

I'm late to the game. Just purchased one of these money pits. What model radio did you purchase. Does it connect to rear and side cameras?
[email protected]
Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #1453
ottojf

Go Power 2000w inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
It’s fairly simple, need to pull covers to espose wiring underneath the sink there is by pass that needs to be voided right next to inverter, to be able to handle all the electronics I upgraded the inverter to 2000w. I will take some pics tomorrow to help illustrate my setup.

I went to Amazon and see several 200 w inverters. Can you provide specific model? Thanks
Old 04-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #1454
ottojf

Solar Power

Quote:
Don’t get too excited, yet! It wasn’t a real world test. On the bright side, it was in December with a low sun. ��
I didn’t swap out any original parts, just added the newest Renogy panels and a Victron Smartsolar 100/30 MPPT.
Getting the wiring thru the bathroom wall was the most difficult part. I put the controller in the passenger side storage compartment. Scroll back to my post #1111 for pics and details.

Another member, JLUSoCal has 700 watts of panels up there.

-Robb
Just saw your post about solar power
Found this at Amazon is this basically your system?
Renogy 400 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with Wanderer
Visit the Renogy Store
4.5 out of 5 stars 233 ratings
List Price: $679.99 Details
Price: $640.79 Prime FREE Delivery

How did you know where to place roof fastners?
What batteries are you using?

Thanks for your help

John Otto [email protected]
Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #1455
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottojf View Post
I went to Amazon and see several 200 w inverters. Can you provide specific model? Thanks
You can’t just throw a 2,000 watt inverter in place of the existing one, without upgrading the automatic transfer switch as well.

I’d suggest you use your rig for awhile, and see what you really need. It has taken most of us two years to decide on and implement the mods that we wanted, or needed.

Make sense?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #1456
ottojf

Battery Set Up

Quote:
This weekend was our first real test dry camping with solar panels and it’s awesome! I have 400 watts wired in series parallel with a Victron 100/30 MPPT controller.
Southern CA beach camping with no trees or shade obstructions. It’s been a mix of hazy, sunny, overcast sky the last few days.
We’ve had both refrigerators on, charging laptops while working, charging phones, heater at night, water pump, lights, and ceiling fans. Today we had a group of friends with us, which means fridge doors left open, more lights, a lot of water pump usage.
The voltage right now at 10:50 pm is 12.76. I’d say that’s a success!
No generator needed!
What is your battery configuration? Kind, How many etc.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #1457
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
What is your battery configuration? Kind, How many etc.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3893263
Old 04-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #1458
ottojf

I am late to the game. What is the model of radio you installed with car Play?
Thank you
Old 04-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #1459
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
From what I have learned about the Lithium batteries, talking with the experts at WFCO, and Battle Born.

The bottom line is, you can’t mix different batteries with different charging profiles. It may technically “work”, but you’ll be sacrificing the balancing and full charge potential for the lithiums, and perhaps overcharging the AGM, or FLA Batteries.

FLA and AGM, want no more than 13.6v bulk charge voltage, while lithium’s NEED 14.6.

AGM and FLA require a float charge, while lithium’s do not want or need that.

A great three stage Charger is ideal for FLA or AGM, while lithium’s don’t want the last stage-float, hence the WFCO lithium charger add on (swap out) eliminates the float charge, and increase the bulk charge from 13.6v to 14.6v.
Make sense?

In fact, even Battle Born doesn’t recommend adding batteries of their own of different ages into the mix.

The latter, I find a bit dubious. Sort of like the fox guarding the hen house.
Yep I would imagine that mixing would not be the best. I will have to ponder what my next battery box will hold. I did a "load test" on my two Napa's and the two AGM's. The Napa's which load tested fine just 8 months ago, are junk today. They failed miserably. 10 seconds they were dropping off the cliff to 9 volts. The AGM's although tests strong in 10 seconds, don't have the power to run the 6 cup coffee maker. Voltage drops off the 11.3 to 11.1 sending the inverter into a real frenzy with all the noise it makes.

So there you have it. I miss the Golf Carts I had before. So I will be
following YoGoHm's results on water requirements and acid control. BTW what 6v Golf Carts did you end up with?

Little afraid of the Lithium's because of the temperatures I live in.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #1460
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I am late to the game. What is the model of radio you installed with car Play?
Thank you
Several of us have discussed in this thread about changing radios to different models that have Apple CarPlay.
Your easiest choice is stick with Pioneer to avoid wiring hassles, as most share the same harness. If you’re good with doing your own wiring, any double din radio will fit, including the Jensen CAR10 I recently installed.

Tags
intent