Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer that was purchased in Oct of this year. Today while running engine, I decided to "exercise" the jacks - normally stored in retract position. The rear jacks would not retract all the way. I put them down and tried again, they retracted even less so now they are about 3 inches off the ground.

Read manual and it suggested making sure pistons were clean, they were and to spray with silicon. Sprayed with silicone, same problem. Next manual suggested greasing them through the fittings with Lithium grease. Went out to buy a grease gun, boy are they expensive. Before greasing, I want ask how much to put in? With cars you look for the boot to swell, but there is no boot. Any other suggestions on fixing this would be a big help. Winnebago Tech support is closed until Monday.

Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer that was purchased in Oct of this year. Today while running engine, I decided to "exercise" the jacks - normally stored in retract position. The rear jacks would not retract all the way. I put them down and tried again, they retracted even less so now they are about 3 inches off the ground.

Read manual and it suggested making sure pistons were clean, they were and to spray with silicon. Sprayed with silicone, same problem. Next manual suggested greasing them through the fittings with Lithium grease. Went out to buy a grease gun, boy are they expensive. Before greasing, I want ask how much to put in? With cars you look for the boot to swell, but there is no boot. Any other suggestions on fixing this would be a big help. Winnebago Tech support is closed until Monday.

Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I doubt that I have your exact answer but you might want to try a search on this site for "slow hwh jacks". I don't know if you have hwh jacks but I remeber reading several posts about their problems. I also remember reading that the customer service at hwh is excellent. The first check would be to make sure that springs are in place and are applying good tension. If they are then I would check for a pinched line. Remember the lines going to the jacks are under pressure from the pump when raising the coach but the lines leaving the jacks just allow the fluid to bleed back fluid from the spring tension. If lines are good I would suspect it is a problem with the jacks themselves that lubrication will most likely not fix. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

sightseers,
The HWH jacks are not greasable. The fitting that you see is a line bleeder fitting for hydraulic fluid, not a greasable zirk. The coil springs on each side of a jack are the means to retract the jack piston. Previously there was a problem with weak springs posted on this board.
If you have Kwikee jacks, they may be greasable, I do not know. I suspect not, because they are two-way (push/pull) hydraulic powered.
Are you in a cold climate?
You may have dirt/contaminants in the hydraulic reservoir which is affecting the solenoid valves on the pump.
Like Derek said, try an advanced search and you'll find lotsa info & tips to try...
Old 12-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Edit to my post, we have Power Gear levelers
Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

How cold is it where you are?
movieman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Check the level of your hydraulic fluid in the reservoir for your jacks, if you are low and your jacks are powered to retract (no springs) it could prevent them from lifting up all the way. On our rv the reservoir tank is underneath and just behind the driver's side door. Make sure if you are low that you use the correct hydraulic fluid to fill the tank to the proper level.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The jacks are spring loaded. I too have a 2008 sightseer. On some of these models the fuse for the system was inadvertantly installed as a 5 amp fuse. Check to see if it is blown. Could be as simple as replacing the fuse. It is located above the reservoir in the drivers side wheel well. Good luck.

Grand
gwong02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Also have read that in cold weather it may take up to 30 minutes to fully retract one of mine hung up and i ended up having to use a 6 ft 2x4 and lever it up
kscouple52 is offline   Reply With Quote