Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I am working on an electrical problem on a 2002 Journey DL. I'm stumped with this issue: I am not on shore power, I have a disconnect switch at the house batteries which is OFF, I turned off all ac electrical breakers in the unit, and the inverter is humming. Where is it getting its power? I'm worried it is pulling from the engine battery. Second problem, when I have the house batteries ON and all breakers ON, or I'm on shorepower, the Powerline management system is OFF, (there is no ON/OFF button it just works when power is applied) The inverter appears to be always ON in this condition which is why I tried to isolate it. Thanks, Dave
DaveOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am working on an electrical problem on a 2002 Journey DL. I'm stumped with this issue: I am not on shore power, I have a disconnect switch at the house batteries which is OFF, I turned off all ac electrical breakers in the unit, and the inverter is humming. Where is it getting its power? I'm worried it is pulling from the engine battery. Second problem, when I have the house batteries ON and all breakers ON, or I'm on shorepower, the Powerline management system is OFF, (there is no ON/OFF button it just works when power is applied) The inverter appears to be always ON in this condition which is why I tried to isolate it. Thanks, Dave
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good help here. I can't give too much specific help because Winnie changed their brand of inverters in '03 or '04. However, I'm sure the wiring is about the same - the inverter is wired directly to the batteries. This is because the inverter can draw up to 200A DC from the batteries and the long cable run up to the disconnect switch and back is not capable of providing 200A without a large voltage drop. I suppose it could work if they used the mother of all cables, but even then I'm not sure the disconnect switch could handle that current.

Don't know enough about your system to get into the other question, but I bet someone with a similar rig will check in with answers soon.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Dave - Just reread your post and noticed you said you have a house battery disconnect AT the batteries. If this is so, you can disregard what I said. The disconnect is normally a relay in the DC box behind the front "hood". Maybe the former owner did a little custom wiring??
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Your Power Management system should only be on when you are hooked up to 110V shore power (30amp or 20amp). If you are connected to a full 220V (50amps) your Power Management display will be off as there is no management needed as you have all the power you need.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Well here is an update. First, the previous owner did put in a switch to isolate the house batteries but he must not have included switching off the inverter connection. Second, when I am plugged-in the Xantrex Inverter/Charger is in the invert/charge mode and I am unable to get it off-line. The user pad that shows the battery condition and has buttons to turn the charger and inverter on/off is not working. I think the Freedom inverter/charger or its controller is out of wack. Thanks for the comments above.
Dave
Old 05-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my coach--it turned out the problem was me. I have the Dimensions 2000 inverter and it was humming with everything shut off. Turned out that the control panel for the inverter located at the bottom of the master panel has a push button switch that presets the inverter to be on or off when you disconect from shore power or the genset. If you have a Dimensions inverter, this could be your problem as well. When you press the button, be sure you allow enough time for the message to set on the display. I was pushing, pushing, pushing the button and never got the right selection made.

Good luck.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote