Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

The continuing saga of the hunt for the perfect coach (perfect for us) continues. We had an appointment this morning at Lazydays to take a 40AD with the Cummins ISL (400hp) out for a half-hour test drive and a much more complete analysis by us.

Previously we went on a little 10 or 15 minute test drive in the Vectra 36RD (ISC-350). Man oh man what a difference in the two engines. The 40AD almost leapt off the line - I was truely amazed. The 40AD with the longer wheelbase than the 36RD drove wonderfully. It felt stable, had responsive handling, and I never ever wondered if it was going to go off in a different direction than what I wanted. There was much less lean going around corners than the 36RD. I always felt like I was in control.

There must have been a problem with the brakes - when we were down to about 5 mph when stopping there was a very noticeable vibration aparently from the braking. Speaking about braking, I turned on the compression brake (low position) and was amazed at how that slowed us down when I took my foot off the throttle (after a little delay.) The slowing power with the brake in the high position must be truly awesome.

I discovered that the Freightliner Info Center (NOT the TripTek) display is almost impossible to read. It is apparently not backlit and is I think an LCD display. It is at a bad angle to see easily (not to mention small) - it needs to be tilted up about 10 degrees.

Also I discovered the driver's and passenger's seats are not designed for my long back. The top bolster of the the chair hit me in the shoulder blades and was not very comfortable (while at Lazydays we looked again at a Fleetwood Revolution LE and that seat must have been designed with me in mind - it was amazingly comfortable.)

After poking all around the coach, looking inside of cabinets, under sinks, under the chassis, on the roof we continue to be impressed and still believe that this is the coach for us.

Cheers,

John
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The continuing saga of the hunt for the perfect coach (perfect for us) continues. We had an appointment this morning at Lazydays to take a 40AD with the Cummins ISL (400hp) out for a half-hour test drive and a much more complete analysis by us.

Previously we went on a little 10 or 15 minute test drive in the Vectra 36RD (ISC-350). Man oh man what a difference in the two engines. The 40AD almost leapt off the line - I was truely amazed. The 40AD with the longer wheelbase than the 36RD drove wonderfully. It felt stable, had responsive handling, and I never ever wondered if it was going to go off in a different direction than what I wanted. There was much less lean going around corners than the 36RD. I always felt like I was in control.

There must have been a problem with the brakes - when we were down to about 5 mph when stopping there was a very noticeable vibration aparently from the braking. Speaking about braking, I turned on the compression brake (low position) and was amazed at how that slowed us down when I took my foot off the throttle (after a little delay.) The slowing power with the brake in the high position must be truly awesome.

I discovered that the Freightliner Info Center (NOT the TripTek) display is almost impossible to read. It is apparently not backlit and is I think an LCD display. It is at a bad angle to see easily (not to mention small) - it needs to be tilted up about 10 degrees.

Also I discovered the driver's and passenger's seats are not designed for my long back. The top bolster of the the chair hit me in the shoulder blades and was not very comfortable (while at Lazydays we looked again at a Fleetwood Revolution LE and that seat must have been designed with me in mind - it was amazingly comfortable.)

After poking all around the coach, looking inside of cabinets, under sinks, under the chassis, on the roof we continue to be impressed and still believe that this is the coach for us.

Cheers,

John
www.janeandjohn.org

Old 02-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #3

I think you made up your mind before you even started. Your test drive report confirms that, now go buy it and enjoy.

When a company builds 25 units a day, your bound to find at least one good one.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
PDB
Winnebago Camper

We were "this close* to buying a Horizon 40AD, we were on the way to the dealer to try and strike a deal and thought "Let's make a quick stop at the XYZ" dealer just for kicks.
Long story short, thy had a Vectra 40AD in a gorgeous color scheme - wife fell in love; we drove it home.
It's a great coach, handles like a dream. Only problems are with the HWH slide/jack hydraulics. It's been in the shop 3 days and they still haven't been anle to get a jack to extend nor a slide to pop out.
Otherwise - it's a great coach.
Puasl

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm confused, which is the coach for you? The AD or the LE with the better seats? Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ichn2go:
I'm confused, which is the coach for you? The AD or the LE with the better seats? Good Miles <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Revolution LE is a very, very nice coach. I thought the cabinetry and fit and finish were great. I also love the "Euro look" of the front the way it slopes back. The deal killer for the Revolution was the fact that the genny does NOT slide out for maintenance. While looking at another Revolution at another dealer I noticed a freon service fitting was butted smack dab against the genny. I assume this was for dash air - to gain access to this fitting you would need to literally drop the generator.

If we get the Horizon, I will have the driver's seat modified by an upholstery shop. No big deal when everything else is right.

John
www.janeandjohn.org
egads - it's 38 degrees here in Central Fla this morning

Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PDB:
..snip..It's a great coach, handles like a dream. Only problems are with the HWH slide/jack hydraulics. It's been in the shop 3 days and they still haven't been anle to get a jack to extend nor a slide to pop out.
Otherwise - it's a great coach.
Puasl <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When I was playing with the coach yesterday, I activated the auto level of the HWH - the air dumped, the jacks went down, but I don't think the jacks leveled the coach. I could sit a bottle of water on a counter and it would quickly roll. I believe there is a "Level" light that is supposed to come on when level is achieved (never did come on.)

We are not exactly wild about the fabric choices in the Horizon, but we can live with it. (We think fabric would be better instead of the UltraLeather due to the fact we will be taking two cats.)

Congratulations on your coach - I'm envious! I'm sure they will get you fixed up and on the road soon. Oh, BTW, HWH has lots of good documentation on the slides and leveling system on their web site.

John
www.janeandjohn.org

Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Good luck on whatever choice you make, we've had our 05 40kd horizon for 2 1/2 months now and really love it. So far very few problems out side off a few loose molding pieces and keyless entry not working. We went with the darker toasted almond interior(dark corian counters) and deep mahogany exterior. We love the exterior but in hind site wish we would have chosen the glass block instead even though we love the dark corian. If you decide on the horizon let me know and I will give you an up to date list of items to look for on your PDI.
Thanks Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hey Ben,

At this point, I believe we are going to order the 40AD probably mid-March. We have sort of settled on the Harvest paint scheme for the outside (although I was lobbying for the blue paint), Honey Cherry for the wood, and Glass Block for the decorating do-dads and fabric. We like a lighter Corian - at our house we have Corian counters that are sort of a creme color.

Absolutely I would appreciate a good PDI! I'm not real concerned about catching everything at the moment of delivery. This is because I'm about 95% committed in buying from Lazydays..I will spend the night in the coach in their delivery area, then we are planning on moving to their Rally park for another few days. When I discover a problem while staying at their facility, a tech will be dispatched that day (according to the salesman). Apparently they are also a Freightliner chassis shop so maybe we can get just about everything sorted out at delivery.

Good luck in getting your little annoyances squared away.

John
www.janeandjohn.org

Old 02-13-2005, 04:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I shopped for a Horizon for many months. I have bought 3 Winnebagos from Lazy Days. I highly recommend that you are completely satisfied with the coach before paying for it. While Lazy Days kills the competition on sales price, their after delivery service is poor. In fact, I bought a MADP primarily because Lazy Days could not get a Horizon KD in proper shape for delivery.
By the way, Suncoast RV has an AD in the colors you wanted. I think the coach is at their Ocala, FL store. They claim they can beat or meet Lazy Days on price. Their service, at least in Ocala, is excellent.
palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..snip..

By the way, Suncoast RV has an AD in the colors you wanted. I think the coach is at their Ocala, FL store. They claim they can beat or meet Lazy Days on price. Their service, at least in Ocala, is excellent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I went to the little Ocala RV show a couple of weeks ago and Suncoast was there with a Horizon FD (or KD). They do have an AD somewhere in their system, but the saleslady said it wasn't in Ocala. Suncoast is in the running as a potential dealer for us. Driving to Ocala would be a whole lot less stressful than going through Orlando!

We want to order a Horizon to our specs - for example I don't want the TripTek (every Vectra and Horizon I have looked at has one), don't want the standard Splendide 2000 model W/D - want the 2100, want chassis undercoating, etc, etc.

John

Old 02-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

You are correct, it is an FD at Suncoast. I considered ordering a KD, but I had a bad experience when I bought a 2002 Journey DL, my previous coach. I bought it from Lazy Days while it was being built at the factory. The coach had many problems upon arrival, mostly quality control related. Lazy Days did many repairs before I ever saw the coach, but their PDI was very poor. After taking delivery, I discovered that basic functions of the coach were inoperable (e.g., windshied wipers, dash air, etc.) These should have been repaired either before leaving the factory or upon arrival at the dealership. Instead, I had to hassle with it, as well as several other quality issues.
I felt that either Winn, Lazy Days, or both paid less attention to detail because the coach was sold in production. "Curb appeal" was unnecessary, because the coach was sold.
Bottom line, if you order one, be careful. I would pay a very small deposit and assume that on delivery the dealer has done nothing to insure the coach is safe and fucntions properly. Even basic items, such as interior plumbing connections, should be tested. My coach was in the group that Winn only "dry-fitted" sink drains, with no glue.
palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote