Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #281
Winnebago Owner

I bought the roadmaster,and put it in at my buddys shop,really not that hard.And moved the sway bars while we was doing that too.
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #282
Winnebago Owner

When did u guys do your first oil change? heading out west to yellowstone from va in 2 weeks,have 2300 miles on it,probably going to put 5000 miles on this trip,should i do it before i go?mobil 5w20 synthetic ,motorcraft filter?
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #283
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROAD ST View Post
When did u guys do your first oil change? heading out west to yellowstone from va in 2 weeks,have 2300 miles on it,probably going to put 5000 miles on this trip,should i do it before i go?mobil 5w20 synthetic ,motorcraft filter?
I did mine at 2800 miles. I was less concerned with the mileage of the oil as I was the age. I bought the rig in Jan 19, and it was an 18 model year. I just found out the date of manufacture was Dec 14 2017. So the oil was at that point over two years old. I took mine into the dealer to have it changed. I want no hassles if something goes awry in terms of warranty coverage.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #284
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Go get aligned from experienced with RV unit. Make sure Steering play gets eliminated. Add steering damper like SafeTPlus
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #285
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I agree! After 12000 miles biggest want is bigger better shower and more comfortable seating. We have been fortunate with no major issues and love our 26 M though. Leaving Michigan Wednesday morning for trip back to Oceanside via Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone and Yosemite. Still debating on visiting Forest City but probably won’t as nothing major for them to fix.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #286
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Manual says 7500 so I do mine at 7200 just before 3800 mile trip. Will do next at about 15000 while on this trip. Think will have a mobile unit do it at a park
Old 08-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #287
Winnebago Master

Its interesting to see where and how the Winnebagos are built. We went last year and saw the Class B assembly line. On our way back to Alaska next month we're going again to see the Class C line.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #288
Winnebago Owner

One of the class Cs has the exact same decor and almost the exact same layout as the Intent 26m. Can't remember which one though.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #289
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
I agree! After 12000 miles biggest want is bigger better shower and more comfortable seating. We have been fortunate with no major issues and love our 26 M though. Leaving Michigan Wednesday morning for trip back to Oceanside via Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone and Yosemite. Still debating on visiting Forest City but probably won’t as nothing major for them to fix.
You have options.
I never even took a shower in there until I removed the glass door and replaced it with a curtain. That made the shower very usable.
Obviously, my couch is waaaaay more comfortable than the dinette!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	172129   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	172130  

Old 08-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #290
Winnebago Camper

Can't get my slide to come in!

I posted this in another group as well, but thought I'd also post here in case you guys knew something peculiar to the Intent:

I'm sitting in a parking lot post-tailgating and trying to get out of here, but my slide won't come in! We've been having problems with our house batteries not getting charged. We came back to our Intent 29L after the game and found we had no lights and couldn't get our generator started. We did get the engine started. We're able to raise the leveling jacks, but we can't get the slide to come in (nor, incidentally, does the loft bed move down.)

We got someone to jump the house batteries and we at least now have lights and the generator is running. But still no action on the slide. I push the button and nothing happens. It's like the motor isn't getting any electricity but I can't find any kind of circuit breaker or fuse.

Any ideas???
Fritos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #291
Winnebago Owner

Sounds as if your house batteries are either dead or the cut off switch was engaged. The genie will recharge the house batteries, but I'm not sure how long it will take. I forget sometimes I have to have the engine running in order for the slides to work, it takes a draw from the engine as well as the house batteries if I recall the manual correctly. I'd definitely troubleshoot for any connection issue from the house batteries as well.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #292
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Sounds as if your house batteries are either dead or the cut off switch was engaged. The genie will recharge the house batteries, but I'm not sure how long it will take. I forget sometimes I have to have the engine running in order for the slides to work, it takes a draw from the engine as well as the house batteries if I recall the manual correctly. I'd definitely troubleshoot for any connection issue from the house batteries as well.
Thanks. Yeah, the house batteries are so dead that without the generator running I have no lights and no water pump. I tried shutting off the generator this morning and restarting it, and there wasn't enough juice to restart. By then we had picked up our car from where we left it and so I was able to go to WalMart and buy a combo battery booster / air compressor. Needed the air compressor anyway and having the battery booster will definitely come in handy. With that, I was able to jump the house battery and restart the generator.

Ultimately, I need to figure out why none of the 3 systems (shore power, generator or engine alternator) are recharging the house batteries. I've driven almost 1,000 miles over 3 days, spent 3 nights connected to shore power, and 2 nights running the generator and the house batteries are still totally depleted.

For now, I've got a battery charger plugged into an AC outlet run from the generator and then connected to the house batteries. Will try charging those for a few hours to see if I can get them back up again.

While the unit was at the dealer for 3 weeks, they switched the cutoff switch to off. I noticed that before we left home, though, and switched it back. Don't know when they actually switched it, so the batteries may have gotten really low before they did that. After talking to a Good Sam's Elite tech support guy, it would appear that that switch actually trips a solenoid which then puts the house batteries back into play. Perhaps the solenoid needs enough power from the battery to be able to actually trip? Hmmmm.....

Meanwhile, the slide motor (and the loft bed motor) won't work. Push the button and I get absolutely nothing. I'm hoping that there's a low voltage cutoff on those motors so they won't run until I get the house batteries charged back up at least to something more than totally dead.

Agreed, you definitely need to have the engine switched on to get the slide and the loft bed to operate. (Also have to have the parking brake set to operate the slide motor.) Don't need to be actually running the engine, but you need that extra boost from the chassis battery. Probably best to be running the engine, though - particularly for the slide. After this experience, I can definitely heartily recommend that! Haha

Guess we'll just sit here for a couple hours on a nice, cool, sunny afternoon and enjoy listening to the trains rumble by about 50 feet from us. Or we have our bikes with us and can go for a bike ride. Or now that we have the car, we can go for a drive. Hopefully the house batteries can still take a charge and (eventually) we'll get them charged up enough to work the slide motor. Otherwise, I guess she just sits here until Tuesday and we can get an RV repair facility out here to take a look at her. [Sigh ....] Hey - we're retired and we have no place we really need to be for almost 2 weeks. :-)
Old 09-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #293
Winnebago Master

Fritos55, I'm sorry you're having these troubles. It does seem like the batteries may be dead. Too dead to be brought back to life.

My suggestion would be to save the cost of a repair tech coming to you and buy new batteries. Take the batteries out yourself and take them to be tested at any auto parts store. These house batteries aren't that good to begin with. If they're shot, just replace them yourself.

You can even upgrade to 6V golf cart batteries for about $115 ea. I used them in my last 2 RV's without issue. They are TRUE deep cycle, unlike our stock batteries, and have a longer amp hour rating. Wiring is no issue. You actually use one cable less.

I don't know your location, but here's a link to Batteries Plus. If you order online and then pick up in store, you get 10% off.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/rv/deep-cycle/6
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #294
Winnebago Owner

The other thing I was just thinking about was...I've read on here somewhere, that even with a 'new' purchase, it is not uncommon for the batteries to be low/out of water. Maybe grab a gallon of distilled water and check those levels. If it's been too low for too long though, it's goodnight Irene.

YGoHome - I'm just not getting how two 6v is superior to two 12v. My caveman brain won't let me get past the basic math. Why do those systems work and in fact are said to be hardier than the two 12vs?
Old 09-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #295
Winnebago Owner

Oh! I will say that whenever I have got the rig parked and not stocking up for the next trip, I always have that battery switch in the Off position. Just too many little pieces of electronics that would constantly draw power without being obvious enough to me to power off.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #296
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
The other thing I was just thinking about was...I've read on here somewhere, that even with a 'new' purchase, it is not uncommon for the batteries to be low/out of water. Maybe grab a gallon of distilled water and check those levels. If it's been too low for too long though, it's goodnight Irene.

YGoHome - I'm just not getting how two 6v is superior to two 12v. My caveman brain won't let me get past the basic math. Why do those systems work and in fact are said to be hardier than the two 12vs?
Good thought about the water, assuming that these aren’t “maintenance free”. Haven’t actually looked that close. Just something about having to pay for new batteries just over 2 months after buying the RV. Sigh

I get what YGoHome is saying - you’d actually need 4 6V batteries and put 2 in series like his diagram shows then 2 more (also in series), each pair in parallel. So 4 total batteries assuming there’s room. If there’s only room for 2, then they would be big enough that the total amp hours of 1 new 6V would equal 1 old 12V. It’s amp hours that you’re worried about. Other than being better at true deep cycle.

If I can’t get the charge back up after leaving the charger on all day, then I’ll take one battery out & go get it tested. If it’s shot then I’ll buy 1 battery and take the other completely offline & limp along on one battery til I can get to a dealer on Tues.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #297
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritos55 View Post
you’d actually need 4 6V batteries and put 2 in series like his diagram shows then 2 more (also in series), each pair in parallel. So 4 total batteries assuming there’s room.
Sort of. You don't need 4, only 2. (I will be making room for 4 when my batteries crap out, but 2 are fine) Having 2 wired together essentially makes a large 12v battery. Trojan T105 6volt is pretty much the standard replacement.

The supplied batteries are not a true deep cycle. They're a combo of marine and starting battery. They rate them on cranking power (CCA) with a reserve in minutes, rather than an amp hour rating (215 @20). No standard battery should be discharged all the way. Even a true deep cycle. BUT...should you do it, a true deep cycle battery can handle it. If you monitor your battery levels by the dots on your gauge, you should be recharging at the half-way mark for a longer life. I'm no expert. I read a lot and I go from my own experience. I've had RV's for 15 years.

Here's a simple explanation...
https://www.trekwithus.com/rv-batter...ies-in-our-rv/
Old 09-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #298
Winnebago Camper

So ...... I charged the batteries for 5+ hours, turned off the generator and tried to start it again and No Go. So I took them out and had them tested - both were reading about 7 volts. Bought replacements - same old "marine & RV" batteries, but hey - it's 5 pm on the Sunday before Labor Day. Not much choice out there. I now have cabin lights, my inverter will turn on, and I can start my generator. BUT ..... still no slide function. I did at least get a flashing green light on the slide switch - 4 green flashes. Can't find anything that decodes that in my manuals so will search online.

In talking to the tech support guy, I asked about fuses or breakers. He said the slide fuse is one of the 4 big fuses mounted on the back wall of the battery compartment. He also thought that the slide fuse was the same as the generator starter, so if I could start the generator then the fuse was good. That seems odd to me, but OK .....

Well, baby steps I guess.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #299
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
"Nothing major for them to fix ...."

Do you stop at the Winnebago plant itself and have Winnebago look at your unit? Or do you stop at the dealer that's right there? We're going right up I-35 from Des Moines to the Twin Cities later this week and might be a good stop for us to make.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #300
Winnebago Camper

Doghouse Soundproofing

One of my frustrations with my 29L has been the noise level in the cockpit when driving down the highway. My wife & I have to shout to be heard above the noise level; I have to crank the stereo volume way up to hear it; and the first thing I do when I come off the freeway is reach over and turn the stereo volume way down.

After a lot of research, I decided to start with soundproofing the underside of the doghouse using HushMat - $54 for 10 sq ft on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've included before & after pictures of the underside along with a closeup of one corner showing what was factory installed. I just laid the HushMat on top of what was already there.

The sound level improved dramatically! Ambient noise with the engine idling and the AC turned off is about 52 dB(A) in the drivers seat. With the AC on High, it's about 69 dB(A). That's pretty comparable to my 2016 VW Passat (42 at idle and 66 with Max AC.) Highway speed (65 mph) on a relatively smooth road went from almost 80 dB(A) before to around 70 dB(A). I can now hear the stereo on a volume setting of 16-17 instead of 22+, with only minor volume adjustments needed when coming from highway speeds to a full stop. And my wife & I can carry on a conversation at only slightly elevated voice levels. Well worth the $60 and about an hour of labor.

I used 6 of the 10 sheets on the doghouse. Since I was still getting a lot of tire noise, I decided to put 3 sheets on the wheel well above the front driver's side tire. I'm not very flexible so it was kind tough reaching up there (and probably would be a lot easier with the tire off) but managed it in the end. I haven't taken new sound measurements since then, but I did notice a further reduction in the noise level.

HushMat is also a heat insulator, so I've noticed that my doghouse surface is also somewhat cooler.

Plan to buy at least one more box of 10 sheets and do the passenger side wheel well and anywhere else I can easily reach around the engine compartment. Also thinking of lining the wall between the generator and the bedroom to quiet down the generator noise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doghouse Soundproofing Before.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	172149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doghouse Original Insulation.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	172150  

Name:	Doghouse Soundproofing After.jpg