Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2024, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump Control 2023 Travato 59K

Our van's layout is the vehicle we were looking for when cycling through the RV types (we started with class C went to 5th wheel then to travel trailer over 15 years). What we are not so thrilled about is all the issues with our Travato.

Two nights ago, went to bed while camping with fully functional water system. Woke up next morning -- no water pump activation when tap is opened (tank check said 2/3 full). Tried all controls (over door & bathroom) no joy (over door panel said "off" and switch in bath would not light). Checked fuse - good. Opened rear door and tried pump switch on water fill panel. Pump fired up and we had water. Yay!

Other switches still have no effect on pump control and when I needed to power fill tank -- pump would not shut off even though I tried to shut off via all three switches. Weird how system worked at night with no movement of vehicle and following morning it was DOA.

Has anyone had issues with the pump controller?

I started testing the electrical components when heavy rain rolled in. Now waiting for things to clear a bit so that I can open the rear panel to look for a parted wire or something and get better access to the pump controller.

I suspect that one of the switches is keeping the pump relay closed and not allowing any of the other switches to operate. Hopefully the issue is not the "Panel Monitor". Our van is still under warranty and the dealer will not order under warranty because THEY must do the diagnosis to have that expensive part covered. Sadly, the earliest appointment I could get with the dealer (Camping World) is SEPTEMBER (it is now April).

I will post more when I can start testing the electrical points of the system.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

You don’t have to wait for Camping World. That’s nuts.

Call Winnebago Customer Care and tell them your dealer won’t give you an appointment until Sept for a warranty repair. Ask for permission to utilize a local independent tech to come fix your Travato. They can work with someone near you and pay them directly or reimburse you if you have to pay the tech yourself. But you must ask permission first. They may provide a name of someone near you that can get this done in a day or two.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

AND just as future thought?
While things can vary a whole bunch, there seems to be one thing pretty consistent over much of the country!
I will never go to Camping World for any service work! I get it that many people are hard to please but I find the service is just not even close to right as they do not pass info from who I talk to on to the person doing the install or repair!
Too much invested in adverts to leave any left over for real work?
Too big to care!

On a more progressive line? In case you do want to go with looking it over, there is some limited info that we might use to help troubleshoot. Limited as it is a solid state controller which gives us no real info on how and what it does.
But we can guess at some of it by looking at the wire ID chart here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Combined with some info from the drawings, we can pick out what may help on the basic in/out of the controller to test basics like when it puts out power to the pump?
This drawing, sheet one at top left has some info on the controller.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000207694.pdf

Using the wire Id and chart we can then sort out when to expect battery as the switches are changed and possibly see if the output changes to turn the pump on/off?
Not anything in the solid state that we are able to fix but maybe a start or testing it?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks much!

Creativepart: Thanks much for the calling Winnebago idea. Tried that one before just after we purchased vehicle (May 2023) and had sooooo many issues with brand new vehicle. Again dealer told me it would be several months before they could get me into shop. Called Winnebago -- they suggested continuing to try to work with dealer. Person I spoke with did not offer any other suggestion. We waited (stupidly).

Morich: Thanks much for the wiring ID PDF. I had collected pretty much every other schematics/diagrams for electrical, plumbing, parts, etc. for our rig. You provided a much-needed electrical Rossetta stone.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

What I might guess at but needs checked before trusting!
Does a switch put ground on XXZ then make power flow to pump to run?
When it runs full time, is it because there is a false ground left on XXZ?

Click this snip to get better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	controller.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	188833
Old 04-26-2024, 11:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes, sending a signal to ground closes pump relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
What I might guess at but needs checked before trusting!
Does a switch put ground on XXZ then make power flow to pump to run?
When it runs full time, is it because there is a false ground left on XXZ?

Click this snip to get better view!
Attachment 188833
Yes, when the relay terminal goes to ground, the pump is powered. I need to find the terminal block to isolate the three switches and figure out which leg is grounding. Still waiting for rain to let up because I must open the water fill panel to access wiring and water pump relay.

I think it is weird how system died in an 8-hour period with no movement of vehicle.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yes, got to hit it at the right time!
One point that I wanted to be sure you were aware of is the interactive parts catalog for finding the small stuff.
I have not looked for terminal blocks but on searching for things like coax splitters, I find it amazing, as they are so small and can be at almost any point along a run.
Having a picture gives me lots more confidence before I start taking panels out of cabinets, etc!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Hint on use if not used to it?
Down in lower left there is a + symbol. Click that before zooming, then click on a part in the drawing as a way to keep that centered as you scroll to zoom or drag the mouse to turn, etc. Clicking on a part brings it up in the list or reverse, clicking on list makes that part show in yellow on the drawing. If you know the name but no idea what or where to look, clicking repeatedly on the list makes it "flash" on the drawing to help spot things!

Enjoy the trek! This is the way we choose to have fun, Right?
Old 04-26-2024, 01:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Pretty sure I got it figured out

Tried to access relay via water fill panel. Thats a joke. Went in from the bath side and could just get my hand to relay's connectors.

After testing -- looks like relay latches at first touch of any of the switches. It will then not unlatch. Tried looking up manufacturer troubleshooting info. Followed their suggestions -- same result. Conclusion: relay is bad. Tried to find replacement from manufacturer -- discontinued (note -- van built in Feb 2023).

Searched other parts folks -- they want $95 plus. Searched other sources for similar type of relay found one on amazon for $22. Ordered. All else fails -- will install a kill switch in power circuit because when power is removed from relay, relay opens. Next time one of the three switches is activated -- system powers. Not extremely pretty, but functional.

Kind of like the master kill switch I installed so that the awning (waiting for recall parts) would not deploy suddenly when driving down the roads until my appointment with dealer in September (grumble, grumble). Good thing I'm a tool guy with many years of electrical and DYI experience. RVs are fun.

Tags
water, water pump