Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #1101
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Glad you guys are ok, and maybe just a scrape on the coach.....
We got very lucky. The branch was pointed the direction of our travel, so it just dragged the side and left a scuff.
If it had been pointing at the RV, there would have been major damage!
Old 11-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #1102
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescho View Post
Yes!!! Does it sound like a metal bar is being dropped down on its side, and then continues to bounce? It's like a low hollow thunking noise.

We've only put 6000 miles on our 2020 this year, and I would say the noise happened about 3-4 times.

When it happens, the noise happens for about 5-10 minutes max.
Possibly the same. On very bumpy roads it will happen often. But, even on a relatively smooth road it will do it out of nowhere. Sometimes it will be perfectly quiet, then a single bump will wake it and start it going. Mine happens every trip.
My wife swears it's in the side wall cabinet over the passenger. I'm going to pull all the carpet panels out and go for a drive.
I'm also going to remove the tv I added above the door, even though it's stuffed with foam and I can't bang on it to duplicate the noise. I've gotta rule everything out.
I have a ladder and broom above the frame rails near the propane tanks, so I removed them on Sunday for the drive home...noise still there.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #1103
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm sorry, sorry to come on so strong against the video. But am so tired of these "so called" you-tube guys and people that try to make a name, or whatever for themselves, with no real knowledge.

I got bit by a Rialta Winnebego group this way that cost me a transmission.

Getting back to this guys video, he may have addressed the real recipient of all of his design.... meaning the "BATTERIES" This is what this is all about, or should be. RIGHT?The Solar Panels and controllers are to "FILL" the batteries in the most efficient expedient manner. Solar time is limited, especially as the days get shorter. When pumping 100 volts into a solar converter that has to change that volts into 14Volts, one has to remember the efficiency factor here. There is no free lunch anytime you have to change voltage from this to that. You will loose power, and power (watts) and this is what you need to do the work for you such as charging the 12 volt batteries. The closer you can get the panels voltage to match the batteries, the better the efficiency and resultant power in Watts. It's really that simple. I'v studied electronic since age 10, and later went to college. It just kinda lives in my heart, and when I see stuff that just doesn't make sense to Ohms/Power Law, that I grew up with, I'm sorry, but a red flag comes up just as it should have with the Rialta Winnebego group... Was too late for my Rialta however.

I didn’t feel that you came on too strong. I’m a relatively bright guy, with more skills than the average guy, but I’m electrically challenged ��. My dad and uncles taught me more than I’ll ever remember!
I spent countless hours researching solar options and kept coming back to his tutorials. I agree that YouTube channels are handed out like Halloween candy.

Solar to help replenish the battery drain from the fridge is the only purpose.

So, let’s get your opinion.

4-100 watt Renogy mono panels
Victron 100/30 SmartSolar controller w/BT phone app to monitor
Victron battery temp monitor BT
Series/parallel for 40 volts and 12 amps
10awg from panels to the controller in the same compartment as yours
Fused disconnects in each line for servicing the controller or batteries
6awg to batteries, less than 4’ with fuse
2-6v batteries for a total of 230 amp hrs.

I can go from full charge to about 50% in 24 hrs. Readings from shunt based battery monitor. 12.8 down to 12.1-11.9.
I want to put some of that back with the panels to reduce the generator time.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #1104
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Alot of us don't subscribe to Motorhome Magazine... What issue are you referring to? Thanks
Their latest issue. Sorry I cannot tell you more. I have already recycled it.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #1105
Winnebago Owner

anybody had there awning replaced? right side of our just got bent up and broke today
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #1106
Winnebago Master

Feiter just did it. Check the last few pages.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #1107
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I didn’t feel that you came on too strong. I’m a relatively bright guy, with more skills than the average guy, but I’m electrically challenged ��. My dad and uncles taught me more than I’ll ever remember!
I spent countless hours researching solar options and kept coming back to his tutorials. I agree that YouTube channels are handed out like Halloween candy.

Solar to help replenish the battery drain from the fridge is the only purpose.

So, let’s get your opinion.

4-100 watt Renogy mono panels
Victron 100/30 SmartSolar controller w/BT phone app to monitor
Victron battery temp monitor BT
Series/parallel for 40 volts and 12 amps
10awg from panels to the controller in the same compartment as yours
Fused disconnects in each line for servicing the controller or batteries
6awg to batteries, less than 4’ with fuse
2-6v batteries for a total of 230 amp hrs.

I can go from full charge to about 50% in 24 hrs. Readings from shunt based battery monitor. 12.8 down to 12.1-11.9.
I want to put some of that back with the panels to reduce the generator time.
In my opinion, and I'm learning also with this renewable energy called "solar", your doing everything right. Mentioning the purpose to run gen-set a shorter amount of time; I know this 400 watt setup of your will certainly do that.

The other variables is angle of the sun, amount of full sun hours, and battery capacity.

Explaining this further.

1. angle of sun: This time of year angle of sun even here in Arizona doesn't play well with our stationary panels. Panels need to pointed directly at the sun for good efficiency.

2. Amount of full sun. When in Wisconsin with trees everywhere, this is an issue. (Even up on the Rim here in Arizona). Month ago, while dry camping on the Arizona Rim, I moved 3 times in one day, just to get the most sun through the ponderosa pine forest.

3.Battery capacity.... : This is your water barrel of storage area. Once it's full, it is full. Your solar controller will shut down any more charging. I see this happening with my 800 watt system during the "high sun angle" of summer.

So bottom line is, mid winter one needs more solar panels, or some way of tilting them towards the low sun angle.

In Summer, one needs more storage capacity; i.e. bigger water tank.

So for whatever its worth... my 2 cents. Thanks all.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #1108
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Short answer is, I don’t think one can dampen the gen set noise to the outside. I tried several different mufflers, initially, but quickly learned that the noise emanating from the gen set, is not the exhaust, it’s the open bay below, where it needs to breath.

THAT SAID, I did manage to quiet the exhaust sound down some by tweaking the connection at the gen set to the exhaust, with some muffler sealing tape.

UNLESS, one layered an acoustic blanket on the ground below the generator, to keep the sound from radiating...?
My post was in response to trying to quiet it down, on the inside—perhaps I misunderstood the question.
My new Honda Pioneer SxS is louder inside the cab than I thought it should be. Noise is "not" coming from the muffler. It's the engine/tranny. (it's under my seat. It should be loud. OK? (if our cars were shortened and we sat on top of the engine, would be same story)!
Old 11-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #1109
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
My new Honda Pioneer SxS is louder inside the cab than I thought it should be. Noise is "not" coming from the muffler. It's the engine/tranny. (it's under my seat. It should be loud. OK? (if our cars were shortened and we sat on top of the engine, would be same story)!
My generator muffler leaked because it got tweaked going in and out of driveways. As you know, I moved the generator exhaust to the rear. That fixed the issue of the exhaust bottoming out, but the exhaust pipe that leads into the generator was ever so slightly bent, that I could not tighten it enough to seal the leak, and that is why and where the muffler sealant came into play.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #1110
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
My generator muffler leaked because it got tweaked going in and out of driveways. As you know, I moved the generator exhaust to the rear. That fixed the issue of the exhaust bottoming out, but the exhaust pipe that leads into the generator was ever so slightly bent, that I could not tighten it enough to seal the leak, and that is why and where the muffler sealant came into play.
Yes I remember that with my feeble mind. Well we gotta do what we gotta do.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #1111
Winnebago Master

Solar

Solar is complete and working well. The Victron app is easy to monitor what’s happening. Right now it’s on “float” because the batteries are fully charged!
I turned on the inverter Thursday afternoon with both refrigerators on, some lights and outdoor TV on. Then again all day Friday. By the end of the day the batteries were fully charged. This isn’t truly a test because it was in the driveway, so no water pump or heater usage, but I’m pretty happy.
As Denny said, it’s all about the sun hitting the panels. The sun is pretty low and off to the side here right now, so the highest wattage I’ve seen is just over 200 of the 400 potential. The series/parallel activates the system early and stays on til the sun goes down.
The hardest part was running the wiring thru the tiny space along the black tank vent pipe. Everything else was pretty straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51DA8173-A3B0-47D4-887C-54BA6CC90103.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	176027   Click image for larger version

Name:	34534C29-6C5C-4148-8FB0-2C56E07B8751.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	176028  

Name:	F2D54CB8-2CA6-41DB-A990-890B00F6D2C2.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	689.3 KB
ID:	176029  
Old 11-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #1112
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Solar is complete and working well. The Victron app is easy to monitor what’s happening. Right now it’s on “float” because the batteries are fully charged!
I turned on the inverter Thursday afternoon with both refrigerators on, some lights and outdoor TV on. Then again all day Friday. By the end of the day the batteries were fully charged. This isn’t truly a test because it was in the driveway, so no water pump or heater usage, but I’m pretty happy.
As Denny said, it’s all about the sun hitting the panels. The sun is pretty low and off to the side here right now, so the highest wattage I’ve seen is just over 200 of the 400 potential. The series/parallel activates the system early and stays on til the sun goes down.
The hardest part was running the wiring thru the tiny space along the black tank vent pipe. Everything else was pretty straight forward.
Nice work. Sounds like you had a relaxing Thanksgiving weekend...
Old 11-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #1113
Winnebago Master

5 Star Tune

It may be too late by the time anyone sees this, but the regular price for the 5 Star Tune is $549, but i just got it for $439 from the website. Maybe a Cyber Monday deal? We’ll know tomorrow.
https://5startuning.com/product/2016...loaded-device/
Old 12-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #1114
Winnie-Wise

Glad u seen this as I got the email this morning and was just about to send it to you.

I think you will enjoy your new engine as I did.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:03 AM   #1115
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
It may be too late by the time anyone sees this, but the regular price for the 5 Star Tune is $549, but i just got it for $439 from the website. Maybe a Cyber Monday deal? We’ll know tomorrow.
I’m still skeptical, but at that price drop, I figured I’d give it a whirl. We’ll see. I’ve seen many testimonials, and tests, with lackluster outcomes,

So now I have a chance to weigh in, as jaded and skeptical as I may be...stay tuned, (pun was my INTENT).
Old 12-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #1116
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I’m still skeptical, but at that price drop, I figured I’d give it a whirl. We’ll see. I’ve seen many testimonials, and tests, with lackluster outcomes,

So now I have a chance to weigh in, as jaded and skeptical as I may be...stay tuned, (pun was my INTENT).
I'm sure you will enjoy some of the new features as there are a few. One I enjoy is not allowing OD when in tow. Strange Ford would overlook that. That's counter productive. I also enjoy the the auto downshift pattern when coming to a stop. Speaking of which, the new shift points are more aggressive and smoother. Although I have only my driving feel experience before and after, the extra torque HP seams evident.

So after putting some miles on the girl, report your findings.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #1117
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
I received an email today that they can't ship this to CA? How about you?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.32.07 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	176067  
Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #1118
Winnebago Master

It states in the ad near the top that it’s not for sale or use in CA on pollution controlled vehicles, so I’m having it sent to my uncle in Arizona. They didn’t ask about proof of registration and the charge hit my account yesterday, so I’m guessing I’m good.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #1119
Winnie-Wise

Good job on the solar installation. . Nice and neat .
Old 12-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #1120
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
It states in the ad near the top that it’s not for sale or use in CA on pollution controlled vehicles, so I’m having it sent to my uncle in Arizona. They didn’t ask about proof of registration and the charge hit my account yesterday, so I’m guessing I’m good.
I saw that a warning about not shipping to CA, but it said not carb compliant, which I thought they meant not CARBERATOR compliant. Now I know they meant not CARB compliant.

So now they think I’m a shill for a watch dog group and won’t mail it to me anywhere unless I can provide proof of another state’s registration. Ugh.

California has waaay too many silly laws.

Can’t get the US Department of Forestry’s recommend bear repellent shipped here either. Guess they’d rather we get mauled by a bear than have an extra few ounces of pepper spray on us. Oh, but I can but 20 3 oz cans of pepper spray for personally protection, just not 1 10 oz, can.

I couldn’t even get a small refrigerator shipped here, had to buy a different brand. Geez...

Tags
intent