Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #1081
Winnebago Owner

Just an FYI

Motorhome magazine has a good article on suspension upgrades for the F-53 chassis. Also an article on the new F-53 chassis with the new V-8 motor.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:19 AM   #1082
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAFIRE View Post
Just an FYI

Motorhome magazine has a good article on suspension upgrades for the F-53 chassis. Also an article on the new F-53 chassis with the new V-8 motor.
Read those, still not sure if I need the trac bar. Handling has been pretty good without it.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #1083
Winnebago Master

generator noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpinaz View Post
Will scroll back through the thread. Appreciate the updates on your approach and results.
Interested in how you tackle the gen noise issue. I thought about adding noico butyl sheets to the Rv sheet frame above the generator but was concerned it could catch fire. I have some extra sheets from when I added it to the doghouse and on the undercarriage sheet metal above front tire wheel wells. Worked great there cutting down heat and road noise.
Attachment 175648
The problem with the generator is all the noise dumping out under the RV. Have you ever had it running and opened the compartment door? It gets really loud! I was searching "generator baffle box" which are more for home use, but I can improvise. I tried a 2" thick dense foam board from Home Depot and cut pieces to prop up under the RV. It was raining so I didn't get far. Just putting it on 2 sides made a big difference. I have things cut to try and slide in a box from below, leaving plenty of clearance for air to vent.

Then I had another idea...a noise blocking blanket that could easily be hung around the gennie when parked, under the RV, hanging to the ground. I found one on Amazon, but it would be $240 for 2 of them. That's a lot of cash for big maybe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081K8FW3V...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Old 11-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #1084
Winnebago Master

See below in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Well Robb, weather here in Arizona is going to prevent me from taking any pic's of my solar setup. But actually your configuration is much more elaborate than mine.. I.E. your 12v/24v setup. Mine is just 8 100 watt panels hooked in series to a Renology solar charger. Passenger side has 5 panels; drivers side has 3 with room for two more in required. All panels have the 4 feet connected to the roof via 3M extreme double sided tape.

#6 gage wire follows the tanks vent down through wall to passenger side LARGE storage bacement. That is were controller and two more batteries are located. End of story. Simple setup.

I'll be routing the wire basically the same way. The panel set-up is no more complicated than yours. It just changes the voltage/amps to the controller. All panels in series like you have are a LOT of volts (160v?) and about 6 amps.
Mine will be 40 volts and 12 amps. I'm using a Victron Smart 100/30 so I'll still have room to grow. If I wired in series, it would be 80 volts and 6 amps.

5 Star was good money spent. I put a 16'x101" tandem trailer with me most of the time. It has my workshop and Honda Pioneer SxS. Honda is about 1900 lbs. I need power for mountains and headwinds. One of the nicest features I enjoy besides the added torque is when I'm in Tow-Haul mode, the tranny is prevented from going into overdrive. Less shifting. The tranny works much easier with 5-star. Less shifting all around, and even downshifts for you when you come down in speed. (not talking about the down-shift when in tow-haul peddle braking mode) But be for warned that this 5-star tune does not increase gas mileage. Because of the increased Torque Horse Power available with the tune, you actually loose about .5mpg. But I will take the HP over that anyday. Here is a link that does a better job than myself.

I'm seriously considering the purchase. We have another 2500 mile trip in March and it would be nice!

https://5startuning.com/got-2016-6-8l-v10-rv/
Old 11-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #1085
Winnebago Master

Solar panels

For anyone interested in going solar, but don't know where to start?

This guy has the most clear instructions on how things work and how to design your system. He has a lot of other videos, and diagrams and a forum on his website too.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #1086
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I might try the same ceramic blanket I used for the doghouse cover. So long as there’s ample air circulation, it might work. It’s rated to 4000 degrees.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #1087
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
For anyone interested in going solar, but don't know where to start?

This guy has the most clear instructions on how things work and how to design your system. He has a lot of other videos, and diagrams and a forum on his website too.

I have just viewed this guys you tube here. Mind ya I didn't view any of his others. I'm in complete agreement with his "Ohms Law" calculations with series/parallel configurations.

But... and only because of "But" we have limited real-estate on top of our motorhome roofs, this info is pretty much not too informative. Reason is we can only at the max get about 10 100 watt
panels on our roof. So, wire size between 6 Gage and 10 is not a real big money saving problem as the wirel length is 20 feet or less. And as far as solar controller is concerned, most cheap controllers (I really don't recommend going cheap here) will handle the 1000 watts easily. One should purchase a MPPT type controller such as this https://www.renogy.com/charge-contro...e-controllers/

Look at Charge controllers the same way you look at multi-battery type battery chargers because maybe some day you bat system be totally different than it is today.

So maybe I missed something in not viewing his other you-tube videos and i'm ignorant and apologize for that. Being in Ohms Law since my teens, I cannot change its results.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #1088
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I might try the same ceramic blanket I used for the doghouse cover. So long as there’s ample air circulation, it might work. It’s rated to 4000 degrees.
I guess one has to decide is the obtrusive noise from generator to other campers or to ourselves inside the Intent.

Inside our Intent the generator seems quiet compared to other motorhomes we have had. Outside.... well maybe louder for other campers. In our situations most if not all dry camping is done on FS lands, meaning you just don't park near any other campers as they like their space, and don't like it , and it is not necessary. Plenty of space for everyone to be covid safe. (With or without covid same story)

I have to agree with Rob that most of the genset noise is from below. How would one try and muffle that? I don't know ....
Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #1089
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
I guess one has to decide is the obtrusive noise from generator to other campers or to ourselves inside the Intent.

Inside our Intent the generator seems quiet compared to other motorhomes we have had. Outside.... well maybe louder for other campers. In our situations most if not all dry camping is done on FS lands, meaning you just don't park near any other campers as they like their space, and don't like it , and it is not necessary. Plenty of space for everyone to be covid safe. (With or without covid same story)

I have to agree with Rob that most of the genset noise is from below. How would one try and muffle that? I don't know ....
Short answer is, I don’t think one can dampen the gen set noise to the outside. I tried several different mufflers, initially, but quickly learned that the noise emanating from the gen set, is not the exhaust, it’s the open bay below, where it needs to breath.

THAT SAID, I did manage to quiet the exhaust sound down some by tweaking the connection at the gen set to the exhaust, with some muffler sealing tape.

UNLESS, one layered an acoustic blanket on the ground below the generator, to keep the sound from radiating...?
My post was in response to trying to quiet it down, on the inside—perhaps I misunderstood the question.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #1090
Winnebago Master

My generator is actually pretty quiet inside. It’s the annoyance to those around me that I don’t like. Unfortunately here in SoCal, camping is never alone in wide open spaces. It is reservations made 7 months in advance for a small site between tents and 40’ toy haulers.
I HATE IT.
We have always easily managed camping on 2 6volt batteries until this residential fridge came along.

Wyatt- your thought of something going under the generator. I’ve been placing an egg crate style foam from a single bed on the ground for years. It actually helps!

Denny, I just posted the video for others like myself that are electrically challenged and wanted a simple explanation of the subject. 😊. There’s nothing necessarily specific about that particular video, but rather an introduction to his channel.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #1091
Winnebago Master

So, 2 questions for the group. Anyone else have a leak in the water control bay? When the system is pressurized there’s a slow leak that covers the bottom of the bay and drips out the rubber drain plug.

Next...I’ve got a clunk on the passenger side, stairwell or side overhead above passenger seat. It’s random. Sounds like something swinging and hitting the wall, like the metal hook on the seatbelt.
I cannot find it! I’ve had the bunk support compartment apart several times. Nothing loose. My wife has stood on the steps while I drive. I padded the inside of the step cubbys. I thought it was the weight on the sink faucet retractable hose. Nope.
Anyone else?
Old 11-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #1092
Winnebago Owner

Cabin noise

Ours is a 31p, but I had numerous noises/squeaks from the start. I went on a mission to eliminate as many as possible. Here are the actions I took:
1. Doghouse And undercarriage driver and passenger wheel well added noico butyl sheets. Worked great.
2. Took dash where radio is apart and added peel and stick rubber weatherstripping wherever it touched and could rub and squeak. Bonus found ac duct not connected, was able to quickly fix this.
3. Cut down 2x10 board and installed under rattling center console and on top of doghouse. No more dash noise or excessive vibration. Did this instead of the metal frame addition to the dash that others have done.
4. Purchased nonslip drawer mat material and cut down size for all drawers and cabinets, placed between plates, pans etc. No more rattling noise. Added under stove frame edge small trim piece as it was rattling.
5. Added same rubber weatherstripping 4” strips between screen door and door frame. No more rattles. Added foam pipe cover cut to size and placed in the screen door plastic slide to eliminate the rattle.
6. I had noise like you described from the window screen was randomly occurring in the area you mentioned. Adjusted the screen screw to tighten the fit and the noise is gone.

Only other noise I need to tackle is the main tv rattles on its mount. Looking for a better mount and thinking about replacing it for a larger 50” tv. Has anyone else had this issue with the tv mount vibrating and were you able to fix it?
Twpinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #1093
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
So, 2 questions for the group. Anyone else have a leak in the water control bay? When the system is pressurized there’s a slow leak that covers the bottom of the bay and drips out the rubber drain plug.

Next...I’ve got a clunk on the passenger side, stairwell or side overhead above passenger seat. It’s random. Sounds like something swinging and hitting the wall, like the metal hook on the seatbelt.
I cannot find it! I’ve had the bunk support compartment apart several times. Nothing loose. My wife has stood on the steps while I drive. I padded the inside of the step cubbys. I thought it was the weight on the sink faucet retractable hose. Nope.
Anyone else?
Insofar as the water leaking in the pump house bay, I had that too. In mine, it was attributable to a very small drip at the hot water pipe connection (on the right side closest to the door), where the lines feed off of the main branch tube. It only leaked, when the water got hot, and the plastic expanded just enough to let it drip. I added some yellow gas pipe tape, and tightened it back up, and it’s been fine since. I found it easiest to remove the screws that hold the branch feeder main tube to the wall, so as to get a better grips on the plastic cap, with some adjustable pliers.

As for the noise, that’s hard to help with. If you said it sounded as if it were under the passenger floorboard area, I’d tell you I had the same issue, after installing the larger front stabilizer bar, and one of the bolts on the I link wasn’t tight enough, it would “thump” occasionally. Took me awhile to find that one.

I recall you’ve taken the overhead bed out and put it back. Could it be it’s thumping up and down when going over bumps? You didn’t mention when it’s happening...m

Could it be your awning arm isn’t completely locking into place?
Old 11-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #1094
Winnebago Master

I think my leak is in that manifold as well. Did you have to drain the tank or lines to take it apart?

The bunk has been taken out and put back in, that’s why I’m so familiar with the guts of it all ��.
I’ve checked the awning arm and it’s fine. I thought for sure it was the arm because over time, the awning has shifted a bit in the top channel, which prevented the front arm from seating properly. I repositioned the fabric and it’s smooth as butter. Clunk still there.

You’re right, I should have given a bit more info!
This is the frustrating part. It will be perfectly quiet (as quiet as a home in a box on wheels can be) and then just start. It’s not all the time. It’s not specifically when hitting a bump. Totally random. My wife is not so good at the noise tracking, and she’s afraid to drive it, so I need to get a friend to drive me around so I can find it.
Imagine being under the sink and swinging the weighted faucet hose on the side wall. That’s exactly how it sounds. Wrapping it in a towel showed it still exists.
Another thought was the inside step lids. I took off the catches because they creaked too much, but the noise is there when my wife stands on them.
The battery tray isn’t exactly solid. If you push on it, it’ll get swinging. I’ve thought maybe stored energy and harmonics collide and it bumps the other stair structure?
I’m going to find it! I’ve checked the suspension components too.

So, this was fun. Heading down Pacific Coast Hwy to go camping Thursday night, all of a sudden it sounded like something came crashing down, or at us, or under. We didn’t know!
I pulled over right away. Nothing inside. I grabbed a flashlight and went outside, under, and on the roof. Nothing. Then a couple walking a dog asked “Are you ok? What the hell was that noise?” I DON’T KNOW!
The only thing I saw was a slight scrape down the side near the top. I’ve never looked at the sidewall with a flashlight at night, so I didn’t know if it had always been there?
It hadn’t.
I walked down the street and found a 2” diameter tree branch sticking a foot into the lane. From the look of it, I clearly wasn’t the first to hit it. The noise was it smacking the front cap, then the awning arm, then the rear arm. No damage. Just a scrape.
Scared the crap out of us!
Old 11-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #1095
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygohom View Post
i think my leak is in that manifold as well. Did you have to drain the tank or lines to take it apart?

no, i jist released the pressure in the coach at the faucet, and then took the rubber plug out of yhe bottom pump house bay and let the remaining water drain out of what was left in the lines.

you’re right, i should have given a bit more info!
This is the frustrating part. It will be perfectly quiet (as quiet as a home in a box on wheels can be) and then just start. It’s not all the time. It’s not specifically when hitting a bump. Totally random. My wife is not so good at the noise tracking, and she’s afraid to drive it, so i need to get a friend to drive me around so i can find it.
Imagine being under the sink and swinging the weighted faucet hose on the side wall. That’s exactly how it sounds. Wrapping it in a towel showed it still exists.
Another thought was the inside step lids. I took off the catches because they creaked too much, but the noise is there when my wife stands on them.
The battery tray isn’t exactly solid. If you push on it, it’ll get swinging. I’ve thought maybe stored energy and harmonics collide and it bumps the other stair structure?
I’m going to find it! I’ve checked the suspension components too.

interesting, are you talking about the coach battery bay? Mine is solid as a rock, perhaps thats it?

So, this was fun. Heading down pacific coast hwy to go camping thursday night, all of a sudden it sounded like something came crashing down, or at us, or under. We didn’t know!
I pulled over right away. Nothing inside. I grabbed a flashlight and went outside, under, and on the roof. Nothing. Then a couple walking a dog asked “are you ok? What the hell was that noise?” i don’t know!
The only thing i saw was a slight scrape down the side near the top. I’ve never looked at the sidewall with a flashlight at night, so i didn’t know if it had always been there?
It hadn’t.
I walked down the street and found a 2” diameter tree branch sticking a foot into the lane. From the look of it, i clearly wasn’t the first to hit it. The noise was it smacking the front cap, then the awning arm, then the rear arm. No damage. Just a scrape.
Scared the crap out of us!
lucky you, sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one...
Old 11-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #1096
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
My generator is actually pretty quiet inside. It’s the annoyance to those around

Denny, I just posted the video for others like myself that are electrically challenged and wanted a simple explanation of the subject. 😊. There’s nothing necessarily specific about that particular video, but rather an introduction to his channel.
I'm sorry, sorry to come on so strong against the video. But am so tired of these "so called" you-tube guys and people that try to make a name, or whatever for themselves, with no real knowledge.

I got bit by a Rialta Winnebego group this way that cost me a transmission.

Getting back to this guys video, he may have addressed the real recipient of all of his design.... meaning the "BATTERIES" This is what this is all about, or should be. RIGHT?The Solar Panels and controllers are to "FILL" the batteries in the most efficient expedient manner. Solar time is limited, especially as the days get shorter. When pumping 100 volts into a solar converter that has to change that volts into 14Volts, one has to remember the efficiency factor here. There is no free lunch anytime you have to change voltage from this to that. You will loose power, and power (watts) and this is what you need to do the work for you such as charging the 12 volt batteries. The closer you can get the panels voltage to match the batteries, the better the efficiency and resultant power in Watts. It's really that simple. I'v studied electronic since age 10, and later went to college. It just kinda lives in my heart, and when I see stuff that just doesn't make sense to Ohms/Power Law, that I grew up with, I'm sorry, but a red flag comes up just as it should have with the Rialta Winnebego group... Was too late for my Rialta however.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #1097
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpinaz View Post
Ours is a 31p, but I had numerous noises/squeaks from the start. I went on a mission to eliminate as many as possible. Here are the actions I took:
1. Doghouse And undercarriage driver and passenger wheel well added noico butyl sheets. Worked great.
2. Took dash where radio is apart and added peel and stick rubber weatherstripping wherever it touched and could rub and squeak. Bonus found ac duct not connected, was able to quickly fix this.
3. Cut down 2x10 board and installed under rattling center console and on top of doghouse. No more dash noise or excessive vibration. Did this instead of the metal frame addition to the dash that others have done.
4. Purchased nonslip drawer mat material and cut down size for all drawers and cabinets, placed between plates, pans etc. No more rattling noise. Added under stove frame edge small trim piece as it was rattling.
5. Added same rubber weatherstripping 4” strips between screen door and door frame. No more rattles. Added foam pipe cover cut to size and placed in the screen door plastic slide to eliminate the rattle.
6. I had noise like you described from the window screen was randomly occurring in the area you mentioned. Adjusted the screen screw to tighten the fit and the noise is gone.

Only other noise I need to tackle is the main tv rattles on its mount. Looking for a better mount and thinking about replacing it for a larger 50” tv. Has anyone else had this issue with the tv mount vibrating and were you able to fix it?
Thanks... I have done all of this to our 26M and yes has reduced noise considerably. If I could get my wife to drive this thing down a rough road I could maybe finish the job...
Old 11-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #1098
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAFIRE View Post
Just an FYI

Alot of us don't subscribe to Motorhome Magazine... What issue are you referring to? Thanks
Old 11-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #1099
Winnie-Wise

Glad you guys are ok, and maybe just a scrape on the coach.....
Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #1100
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Anyone else?

Yes!!! Does it sound like a metal bar is being dropped down on its side, and then continues to bounce? It's like a low hollow thunking noise.

We've only put 6000 miles on our 2020 this year, and I would say the noise happened about 3-4 times.

When it happens, the noise happens for about 5-10 minutes max.
charlescho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intent