Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
For those who go off the grid a LP oven makes much more sense than a convection microwave that uses electric.
That's why Winn. is making the oven available through the dealers so a customer can have what they need. Winn should had made it a factory option though so dealers wouldn't be tied up doing the work.
I would even be willing to cut down the bottom drawer to make room for the even larger oven. I have a Brother In Law that does kitchens so I'm not too worried.

I`m with you RLEO.
Plus it would be a backup if the power goes out at your primary residence.
DDMURRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
For those who go off the grid a LP oven makes much more sense than a convection microwave that uses electric.
Other than keeping food warm, I rarely use the propane oven and have yet to use the microwave. The biggest limitation of the oven is it's tiny size. The cook-top is much more useful and I use it daily. Swapping out the microwave with a convection oven would be nice, and you could run the generator when you need it.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #23
Site Team

The RV consumer is made up of all kinds of people. This makes it really difficult for manufacturers to satisfy us all.

They must either make dozens of models to meet buyers various personal needs - or have a long list of Options that make efficient manufacturing difficult. Not to mention making it tough for dealers to know how to option out the stock they pre-order with the factory.

Take the Oven for example. A majority of users don't want one. They want the storage space. But there is always a small but vocal minority that find the Oven a necessity. So, they try to straddle that fence with no gas oven but a Convection Microwave.

And don't forget about the Residential fridge vs the RV Fridge vs the 12v Compressor fridge. Yikes!

I know that in 20+ years of RVing with 3-travel trailers and two motorhomes we've had 3-ovens and 2-convection microwaves. And we've never used any of them. Ever.

(of course, we use the microwave... I mean the convection oven.)
Old 03-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Got the Minnie out of storage this morning and began prepping for our first adventure. Sanitized the fresh water tank....who is the designer / engineer at Winnebago that put the drain to the water tank under the camper??
Added our "signature" Flamingos to the back end!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids-1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	177701  
travelkids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Other than keeping food warm, I rarely use the propane oven and have yet to use the microwave. The biggest limitation of the oven is it's tiny size. The cook-top is much more useful and I use it daily. Swapping out the microwave with a convection oven would be nice, and you could run the generator when you need it.
But I'm a old dog and hard to teach new tricks to I love to cook (and bake) since we'll be using the trailer extensively I hate to give up a bunch of the meals that we're use to. I've survived a stroke and a massive heart attack so I do a lot of baking and grilling.
I'm planning cooking a twelve pound turkey in our Winnie next Thanksgiving........... four lbs at a time!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
But I'm a old dog and hard to teach new tricks to I love to cook (and bake) since we'll be using the trailer extensively I hate to give up a bunch of the meals that we're use to. I've survived a stroke and a massive heart attack so I do a lot of baking and grilling.
I'm planning cooking a twelve pound turkey in our Winnie next Thanksgiving........... four lbs at a time!
Actually, you are doing it right, adapting to the oven you have. You might even be able to cook a smaller turkey "spatchcocked" in the oven. I might have to give that a try someday.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The RV consumer is made up of all kinds of people. This makes it really difficult for manufacturers to satisfy us all.
Ha! You got that right! This spring I'll be removing the microwave to make room for storage . The TV's already gone. There's every type out there. I'll save the parts in the garage somewhere to put back when we sell the rig. The next guy will want it the other way.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Hits and misses
We've spent 6 nights in our Minnie now and have some comments. I wonder if Winnebago reads these posts?
Miss: The shower head & hose is terrible. We've replaced it with the Oxygenics BodaSpa RV Kit in brushed nickel from Walmart.
Miss: Lack of owner's manuals. I'm slowly building up my library of manuals online.
Miss: Plastic Dometic toilet. Hopefully the porcelain Dometic 310 will fit. I'm waiting for Dometic to reply to my inquiry.
Miss: Fresh water tank drain. You have to crawl under the camper to get to the drain. For under $10, I was able to install a drain valve that is easy to get to and I don't have to crawl under the camper.
Hit: 12-Volt Fridge. A great improvement over the ammonia absorption fridges.
Hit: Entertainment center. The 40 inch TV and CD/DVD/radio easy to operate. The antennae drew in plenty of over-the air stations.
Hit: BAL power jacks. Love them!!
Hit: Height of sewer outlets. There is a separate discharge for the kitchen holding tank, but I have no idea how many gallons it holds.
Hit: Microwave / convection oven. Perfect height! Works great.
Hit: Pass through storage. We did carpet the pass through to keep items from shifting.
Hit: Power awning with LED lights.
All in all, we are very satisfied with our Minnie. There is plenty of storage throughout the camper. The fit and finish is very good although we do have a minor issue with the kitchen backsplash not fitting properly. That item will be resolved by the dealer.
Comment: I would like to have day / night shades, although the shades that came with our Winnie are adequate.
Comment: Not quite sue why Winnebago put the black tank flush and fresh water fill on the curb side nest to each other instead of the street side with the rest of the utilities.
Questions? Ask away!!
Old 03-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #29
Site Team

Sounds great Bob. I was confused about what RV you were speaking about because you refer to it as a "Minnie Winnie". The confusion comes from the official naming. You actually have a Minnie 2529RG which is a travel trailer. The Minnie Winnie product is a Class C motorhome.

Obviously, it's your RV and you should feel comfortable calling it anything you wish - but when discussing the TT with a dealer or asking for help on the forums it would probably be helpful to use the proper model name. Just a heads up.

Enjoy your new Travel Trailer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen-Shot-2021-03-24-at-10.50.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	178026  
Old 03-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Hey, Thanks for catching that! I've edited my post.

Just found out we'll be stuck with the plastic toilet. Neither the china bowl Thetford or Dometic toilet will fit.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
Don't forget your Signature, too.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Just found out we'll be stuck with the plastic toilet. Neither the china bowl Thetford or Dometic toilet will fit.
Make sure you confirm that with someone who has tried. The 310 should not have fit in my trailer according to the specs, but by some miracle it did fit. I was only brave enough to try because others on FB had reported that it fit.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

backtrack15,
I went out and measured. The bolt holding the toilet to the flange is 8 3/4 inches from the wall. Dometic specs show a rough in of 10 inches is needed. The back of the toilet is almost up against the wall now. No way would the 310 fit.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
backtrack15,
I went out and measured. The bolt holding the toilet to the flange is 8 3/4 inches from the wall. Dometic specs show a rough in of 10 inches is needed. The back of the toilet is almost up against the wall now. No way would the 310 fit.
There is always a way...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flange.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	178027  
Old 03-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
backtrack15,
Okay. I can’t recall my exact dimensions, but mine was similar. I thought “no way” based on the measurements. I was stunned when it fit.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
backtrack15,
I stopped by my trailer on the way home from an errand. The center of the mounting bolts are almost exactly 8.75" from the back wall. I've included a couple of photos below so you can make a judgement call on yours.

Original Dometic 300:

New Dometic 310:

The 310 is obviously against the wall. If the wall is flexible behind the toilet (no stud right there), I’d be real tempted to give it a try.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Backtract15,

You are so temping me to try the 310.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

I think the plastic toilet a temporary factory install. Porcelain toilets are one of several items that they ran out of because of the material shortage due to the wild upswing of RV purchases.
I have heard of a couple of manufacturers that are giving certificates for a replacement to new owners when porcelain become available again.
Also if there are only so many porcelain toilets to go around are they going to use them in 5th wheels, their small Class C's and motor homes or a $30K trailer?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Winnebago has used the 300 in the Micro Minnies (if not the Minnies) for quite some time. It's a great deal for Dometic. They sell two toilets for every trailer sold. There's probably an island of Dometic 300 toilets bobbing around in the ocean somewhere.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

New toilet

OK, so I measured twice and settled on the Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II...and it fit with a half inch to spare!
Anyone need a Dometic 300 toilet??
Thanks Backtrack15!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toilet-1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	178093  

Tags
travel