Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2022, 04:07 PM   #161
Winnebago Master

If I remember correctly, the advertised length is from the center of the coupler to the back of the rear bumper. The extra length is due to the spare tire. I’m 90% sure this was the case on my Micro Minnie, as I took a tape measure and measured it prior to purchase. I also think the advertised tongue weight is with a single battery and no propane in the tongue bottles. I personally don’t believe Winnebago weighs each unit as the weights on the side sticker seem to stay constant as options change (that is what I observed for Micro Minnie trailers anyway). My empty weight was a touch over the advertised value (closer to 150 lbs off), when I weighed it on the way home from the dealer.

I’m sorry to read about your troubles. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #162
Winnebago Owner

You are correct about the length. If I were to include the spare tire it is well over 30'. Even though mine is listed as 28'7 and the website showed as 28'7 it now does show that the 22 model is 29'6 which is what mine measures.

I thought that the weight included propane but I am not positive. One bottle is empty the other one used a little so we are in the middle there.

I emptied all the tanks but did forget about the hot water heater so that is 48 lbs that should be taken off.

Just to give you an idea how they aren't accurate. We looked at models with an additional bedroom AC unit 13,500. The units without the 2nd AC they show 5948 and with the 2nd AC unit 5968 so they add only 20lbs for a 13,500 AC unit?

I did go to an official scale that is used for trucking and they should be very accurate.

I just wonder how many others with 1500 or 150 trucks are towing this around and over what they think the unit weighs. You would think that Winnebago would be worried about this but they couldn't even get engineering to look at a 2529 unit they just built and confirm the weight. Unless they saw they were way off and wouldn't admit it?
Old 08-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #163
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mark,
No one deserves the problems you have had!! Winnebago told us the weight is based on the components in the base model. Like you said, the only addition should be a second AC. Fresh water and all the tanks are empty? I am at a loss to figure our how the weight can be off by that much?? I am following your dealings carefully.
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:33 PM   #164
Winnebago Owner

Hey John,
Yes the tanks were drained the morning I took it over. Like I said I did forget the hot water heater so take 50 lbs off the difference.

I am so disappointed in Winnebago.
According to a June 1st email from Winnebago customer service they were supposed to have items for my repairs at dealership before my June 20th appointment. After dropping it off I had trouble getting in touch with service for weeks and I finally found out the items were only ordered in the middle of July and of the 7 items they only had ETA's on 2 of them and one of them wouldn't be in until the end of August.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:24 PM   #165
Winnebago Owner

Please post what you determine on weight.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:38 PM   #166
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFrom93449 View Post
Please post what you determine on weight.
I have that in the last post on the previous page.

It turns out I was right to be worried about the weight because it is wrong and it is beyond even where I thought it would be. The dry weight is off by over 1000 lbs. And the tongue weight was off by over 100 lb
Trailer weight per purchase agreement, sticker on trailer and the title is listed as 5968 but the actual weight was 6980 which is 1,012 lbs over the stated weight.
Tongue weight is supposed to be 648 but the actual weight was 760 which is 112 lbs off.
We also know that the stated length of 28'7 is wrong and the actual length is 29'6.
NOTE: I forgot the water in water heater so take 50 off the overall weight of trailer.

Update from today....

I sent emails to General RV over the weekend who didn't email or call back and yesterday I sent another email without a call back. I filed a report with the Consumer Complaint department with the PA Attorney General.

General RV sales manager called me today and asked what I wanted I told him to bring the trailer back and get my money back. He said that wasn't happening and I said it would.
He claimed that he talked to Winnebago and they said each trailer is weighed and they have records. I told him they are lying and how could it be the exact same weight as last years model that is a foot shorter? He was going to call Winnebago back. I might be lucky but for some reason on the purchase agreement they have the model number and the weight listed right after that.. seems like a strange place but all their paperwork refers to the purchase agreement.

I know this is a Winnebago forum and I was thrilled with the layout but man I am not liking what I am seeing with this company.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:35 PM   #167
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlichty View Post
I have that in the last post on the previous page.

It turns out I was right to be worried about the weight because it is wrong and it is beyond even where I thought it would be. The dry weight is off by over 1000 lbs. And the tongue weight was off by over 100 lb
Trailer weight per purchase agreement, sticker on trailer and the title is listed as 5968 but the actual weight was 6980 which is 1,012 lbs over the stated weight.
Tongue weight is supposed to be 648 but the actual weight was 760 which is 112 lbs off.
We also know that the stated length of 28'7 is wrong and the actual length is 29'6.
NOTE: I forgot the water in water heater so take 50 off the overall weight of trailer.

Update from today....

I sent emails to General RV over the weekend who didn't email or call back and yesterday I sent another email without a call back. I filed a report with the Consumer Complaint department with the PA Attorney General.

General RV sales manager called me today and asked what I wanted I told him to bring the trailer back and get my money back. He said that wasn't happening and I said it would.
He claimed that he talked to Winnebago and they said each trailer is weighed and they have records. I told him they are lying and how could it be the exact same weight as last years model that is a foot shorter? He was going to call Winnebago back. I might be lucky but for some reason on the purchase agreement they have the model number and the weight listed right after that.. seems like a strange place but all their paperwork refers to the purchase agreement.

I know this is a Winnebago forum and I was thrilled with the layout but man I am not liking what I am seeing with this company.
I apologize if this has been covered already (I could not find it), but could you share your exact weighing process and the results (CAT scale sheets or the values from those sheets)?

It sounds like only a couple of things are known errors with your approach at this point (you had propane in the propane tanks and water in the water heater), but those still leave a big margin between your measured weight and the sticker weight.

I'd personally just be really worried I messed up somehow with my numbers and/or my approach. You may have double-checked everything already with someone off-forum, but I couldn't find it here. Maybe we could spot an error. Maybe we'll get lucky and things aren't as bad as they seem.

My approach would have been to:
(1) Empty everything... all the way back to as it came from the factory.
(2) Weigh both truck and trailer (hooked together) on a certified CAT scale.
(3) Park the trailer someplace close by and toss everything extra (weight distribution bars/saddles, anti-sway bars, etc) in the back of the truck.
(4) Weigh the truck again on the same CAT scale.

The difference between the total weights from 4 and 2 would be the weight of the trailer. Don't try to get at the actual trailer weight by adding the tongue weight and the axle measurements from the CAT scale. The weight distributing hitch projects tongue weight backward onto the trailer axles. [You may already know all this... if so maybe it will help someone else.]
Old 08-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #168
Site Team

The factory weight does not include batteries or battery boxes. And I know it's without LP but it might also be without LP bottles. And the factory weight is with totally completely empty fresh, gray and black tanks. Not just "emptied" but as new dry.

No sheets or linens on the bed or in the bath, no pillows, nothing in any drawers or compartments.

Since you used the TT some, I don't know how far you've gone in removing every single thing not included in the factory weight.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:35 PM   #169
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for the replies.

I took the trailer to the CAT scale and disconnected only leaving the trailer on the scale. The tongue on one block and trailer tires on the other. The ticket shows the weight of the tongue and the weight on the axles on the other with a combined total listed as well. I have an Anderson sway control and the bracket was on so between the water, bracket, battery and tanks I could give it 250lbs which I think is very generous and it is still 750 lbs. over weight. My understanding was that it is the weight as shipped so I thought it included the tanks.
There was/is a problem with the floor so when we took the trailer in there was no guarantee that we were ever going to see the trailer again so it was completely emptied out.
The problem is that Winnebago changed the length of the trailer but still advertised at Hershey show the old length and weight and had the units tagged that way. It is tagged as 28'7 and that is what I thought I was getting but when I measured it months later because of a post on here I found it is 29'6. Early this year the website still showed the 22 model to be 28'7, however, since that time it has been updated to 29'6 is the length. The weight is exactly the same as the 2021 model but they increase tank sizes by a combined 50+ gallons, have a longer awning this year and the additional 11 inches of trailer and they are claiming the same weight.

Even when comparing different trailers with some having a 2nd AC unit (like mine) they only added 20lbs to the overall weight. So without 2nd AC it is 5948 and with an additional 13,500 AC unit it goes to 5968 Does that seem correct to anyone?
Old 08-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #170
Winnebago Master

20 lbs seems light for a full AC unit, yes. I also don’t think they weigh each trailer, regardless of what they claim.

As for your method, it doesn’t get much more straightforward than leaving a naked trailer on the scale. Unless a helper or three were standing on the scale when they took the measurement, you should be good. It’ll be interesting to see how this story unfolds with Winnebago. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #171
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

I told General RV aren't you concerned that you continue to sell these trailers and they are the wrong weight. If this is 700+ lbs off I am sure that plenty of guys with a 1/2 ton truck are buying this trailer at the listed weight thinking they are being safe when really they are overweight and risking their family and others.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #172
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlichty View Post
Thanks

I told General RV aren't you concerned that you continue to sell these trailers and they are the wrong weight. If this is 700+ lbs off I am sure that plenty of guys with a 1/2 ton truck are buying this trailer at the listed weight thinking they are being safe when really they are overweight and risking their family and others.
Hopefully most people do a "first pass" on trailers by looking at the trailer's GVWR. If the truck can handle the trailer at full GVWR (with a tongue weight of 12-15% of GVWR) then you should be good.

I'd be real reluctant to buy a trailer on the basis of trailer dry weight + my assumed cargo weight (e.g., to use a number lower than the trailer's GVWR) UNLESS the cargo capacity of the trailer was obscenely high (as it was with Micro Minnies for a few years ending in mid-2020).

In your case, I'd have been more upset about the loss of 1000 lbs of cargo capacity, but I had an F-350 diesel which was ridiculously too big for the Micro Minnie and probably about perfect for you (as a tow vehicle, not a daily).

I'd say 40-60% of the 1/2-ton trucks you see towing 27ft+ travel trailers are over their payload capacity (but likely under their max trailer weight). People seem to struggle with the concept of payload capacity.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #173
Winnebago Owner

2022 TV Sound to Speakers!?!?

Connex unit to Insignia TV. Read manual, talked to senior tech at Connex, can't get TV sound to come out speakers. Sound from radio to external A & B speakers is fine. Checked cable connections on back of Connex, only power and HDMI both firm. Know about ArC.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #174
Winnebago Owner

Turns out to be an inadequate cable!!
Old 08-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #175
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
I'm interested in this model....anyone have one yet?
Pros & Cons??
Thanks
Bob
Why are you interested that model, compared to equivalent?
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #176
Winnebago Owner

I am interested in your "equivalents".
Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #177
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
Why are you interested that model, compared to equivalent?
What’s the equivalent???
We’ve now have 15,000 miles on our 2021 2529RG and are happy with it.
travelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:45 PM   #178
Winnebago Owner

LED Lights...

Does anyone know how the LED lights are held in place? Does the lens come off to expose screws? We've tried twisting, and don't want to break one if we can avoid it. We would like to see if the company that supplies the lights makes a model with less intensity.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:51 AM   #179
Winnebago Owner

LED lights

John,
Yes, the lights do twist off, but I think Godzilla screwed them on…they are on good and tight.
I replaced the light over the recliners with a dimmable light. Not nearly as harsh as what came originally,,
Do a Google search: “RV Boat LED Ceiling Puck Light” The Model number is: OB-4W-SM-DW-4W. The model number should take you to the 4-pack at Amazon.
travelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #180
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
What’s the equivalent???
We’ve now have 15,000 miles on our 2021 2529RG and are happy with it.
Disregard, I had believed this to be a newer post. However to the other poster, I was thinking other trailers by Winnebago which are in the 30’ range.

We looked at the 2529, and did not care for the bed being sideways. That to me meant, some one would have to crawl over the other to use the restroom during the night.
And if I recall correctly it would not have worked out for our kids as there were not dedicated bunks. Hence why we went with the 2301.
If your works for you, great I was just curious.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel