Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2024, 03:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Awning Recall notice

View/Navion/Era awning recall coming for certain models between 2020 and 2023. The letters are out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCLRPT-23V694-7837 awning recall.pdf (209.4 KB, 169 views)
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Got mine yesterday. Says they're working on a remedy, and we'll received a second notification when available.

So, I suppose we have to strap it down and remove a fuse in the meantime...?
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ours was recalled once already before we purchased, according to the previous owner. From what I gather, this is different, and the supposed plan is to integrate the parking brake electronics into the equation. The obligations to Carefree and Winnebago must be significant at this point. Hope they get it right this time.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:08 AM   #4
'21 View 24J

Hi - For Navion / View owners that are not familiar with the first attempt to fix this problem, some owners have elected to temporarily disable the awning by removing the power feed to the 12 volt circuit breaker. The CB is located in the panel on the outboard side of the passenger seat pedestal.

Once you identify the awning breaker, you can lift up the Styrofoam dust cover under the seat and remove the yellow power feed's spade connector on the CB. Easy to do, and bulletproof.

Personally, I'm not too keen on introducing yet another layer of complexity to this system. There is a lot going on in that parking brake module, and unintended consequences are a pain in the butt. And, working with our dealer is no fun as well. I think I might just add a switch downstream of that breaker, and keep the awning circuit powered off for travel.

We have not used our awning since disabling it for the first recall, but it would be nice to have it easily ready to go when needed. We'll see...

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don, I agree with you regarding the parking brake module electronics. And apparently they (Carefree/Winnebago) aren't even sure what's causing the issue. Electronics? Mechanical? Combination?

Hope they nail this down soon!
Old 02-21-2024, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Plus one for not wanting a shop mechanic modifying anything in the chassis wiring. Most of the time their approach is to fix one issue while starting a few new issues. The controller is behind one of the ceiling covers above the door. I may just add a toggle on/off switch there and add this to the per-flight checklist.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:50 PM   #7
Willow Rider

We had this problem before the first recall. We had just returned from a trip when we had used the awning. Almost as soon as we parked our then year-old 2021 24D in its space in the storage lot, the awning extended, slamming into a horse trailer in the next door space. Then the headache started. It would not retract. We called a couple so-called 24/7 service groups. No luck. We ended up cranking the awning back in manually (whilst hanging off the ladder with one arm!). We paid for the repair, then came the recall. Winnebago reimbursed us. Then it broke again. The recall paid for that.

I will find that yellow power feed. Then, when this recall is concluded, I will insert a switch to that breaker. After that, like Ontario Don, I will power the awning off when traveling.

Just one more tale to tell in my annual updates on Life With A View!
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

From what I can gather, there are still two potential issues causing the spontaneous awning opening. The issue related to the first recall was mechanical in nature, and involved internal components of the motor. The first recall/remedy has apparently been deemed less than 100% effective, and will require additional remedy. The second and newest recall is electrical in nature, there currently is no consensus on a fix, and the parking brake interface is a possibility.
Hang on to your hats...and, um, your awnings.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

So, on our '23 View D I'll track down the yellow power feed and disable that, adding a switch. But just to be doubly sure, has anyone also strapped the awning so it won't pop open? How best to strap the awning?

Thanks,
Mickey
Old 02-22-2024, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
So, on our '23 View D I'll track down the yellow power feed and disable that, adding a switch. But just to be doubly sure, has anyone also strapped the awning so it won't pop open? How best to strap the awning?

Thanks,
Mickey
The switch is a good idea, and one that is on my list. As far as securing it, there has been discussion from those that use zip ties, bungie cords and cinch straps. It's going to be a challenge from an access perspective as relates to the front end of the awning, at least for those who plan on using the awning on a regular basis and having to re-secure it after every use. The back end can be accessed from the ladder, but I would sure want the leading end secured travelling at any speed above 25 MPH. Circumference, by the way, requires at least 24" length of whatever one uses. And might I add that under the passenger seat where the circuit breakers are might be an excellent place for that switch.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - will see what I can do when I get it back from the dealer in a few days (different issue - slide out and cracked skylight in the shower, both warranty, thankfully).
Old 02-26-2024, 10:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Awning Recall??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
Once you identify the awning breaker, you can lift up the Styrofoam dust cover under the seat and remove the yellow power feed's spade connector on the CB. Easy to do, and bulletproof.
Any chance you can provide details re "how" to identify the proper circuit breaker?? That would be a big help.

cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

SHEESH! Such a mess here! OK, I'm confused (somewhat natural state for me...). If power is cut to the awning, wouldn't that also cut the power to the "brake", or whatever it's called, that keeps the awning retracted?
Old 02-26-2024, 01:42 PM   #14
'21 View 24J

Hi - I'm not aware of an electrical brake that keeps the awning retracted. My understanding of the system is the awning motor drives the awning out, and in, on command from the in-coach switch. With power removed from the motor circuit, I'm not aware of a mechanism that would allow the electrical extension, or retraction, of the awning.

If my understanding is not correct, someone please set me straight, thanks.

As far as identifying the 12 volt circuit breaker associated with the motor circuit, have a look at the photo below. The 15 amp CB labeled "Awning" can be found on the second row of the panel on the outboard side of the passenger seat pedestal. On our '21 View there is no CB above it, so the yellow wire's spade connector can easily be seen when you lift up the Styrofoam dust cover, and easily reached to disconnect it. When you get the spade connector off, you have severed the power feed to the awning control circuit. If you go this route, I'd recommend you wrap the spade connector with some electrical tape, and tuck it away from any other structure or wires.

And, hey, don't forget this is just one solution to the problem of your awning deploying while driving down the highway. It is the one we chose because it is easy to do, but there are others out there - including lashing it down so it can't deploy, or going to the dealer for the recall.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pax Breaker Panel.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	188403  
Old 02-26-2024, 01:49 PM   #15
'21 View 24J

Mickey - I think I understand your question now. Winnebago's recall and fix is rumored to tie the awning power circuit to the Sprinter's parking brake. With the recall completed, it has been reported that power to the awning would not be available unless you have set the Sprinter's parking brake. If you are driving, there would be no power at the awning circuit. I think that is the reference to the "brake" you have been reading about.

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2024, 02:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Complicating the matter, as I understand it, is that besides the electrical issues, the internal braking mechanism can fail, electricity or not, causing the awning to "spring" away from the coach enough that wind from driving could make things ugly in a hurry. That was the first recall, but it's rumored that the fix was insufficient. Of course, without an official proclamation from WB and/or Carefree, there's no way to know for certain.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

OK - clear as mud!

Chester A. Riley had it right: "What a revoltin' development THIS is!"

At any rate, thanks for the input. Trusting that between Carefree and Winnebago, this will get sorted out before any serious incident occurs...
Old 02-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #18
Gma
Winnebago Watcher

So my husband call Winnebago and there suggestion was to tie the awning down or tie a strap around it..... How are you supposed to do that when it's integrated into the motorhome. There is no place to tie it down correct? After almost two years, Winnebago still does not have a fix for the awning.....
Gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:14 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma View Post
So my husband call Winnebago and there suggestion was to tie the awning down or tie a strap around it..... How are you supposed to do that when it's integrated into the motorhome. There is no place to tie it down correct? After almost two years, Winnebago still does not have a fix for the awning.....
I'm a new View owner and certainly no expert, but I know it can be done because I've already done it. I was able to work straps around either end enough to make me comfortable it was secured. I have also read of several others doing so with straps or zip ties.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

New Awning Recall Notice

When we brought our 2023 Winnebago View 24D to the dealership last year for the awning fix, they stated that Winnebago was addressing it two ways. One, was to add an on/off switch next to the awning switch. That was not our motorhome. For ours, they said that power to the awning is disabled when the engine is running. So they tied it to the ignition. I tried it and it will not run when the engine is running. I haven't called the dealer yet to see if I should answer the response card "Repair Completed".
tbr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, recall