Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #61
Winnebago Camper

I don’t own a Hike but I do own it’s mother the Mini Drop which is basically a stripped down hike with out all the cool rugged add ons. My question is has anyone been up on the roof to utilize all the ways of carrying stuff up there. By the way for those concerned about WDH for sway control I us two friction type sway bars from Harbor Freight, works great and easy to take off and remove.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #62
Winnebago Camper

Hey B RAD, yes I've been up there and realized that the crossbars are removable and can be changed all around to different positions. The AC unit and vents kind of limit what and where you can attach things. I'll be installing solar panels on the front top section. I've had my bikes attached to the front bars above the propane tanks. I tie extra items to the roll bars on the side. Love the cage so far. Woof
Dyerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:44 PM   #63
Winnebago Watcher

Hi there. My partner, dog, and I are researching to purchase our first RV with the goal of fulltiming. At least one of us plans to keep our 9-5 corporate jobs with the new normal of remote work. We don't want a huge rig - since our hobbies include mountain biking, kayaking, and hiking - the Hike seems like a great option. Also some of the floorplans seem to have the TV in nice location to setup workstation - it may sound crazy, but if one of us is still working 40hr/week - would should optimize the workstation situation.

Anybody here fulltiming in their Winnie Hike?

My primary concerns I see for fulltiming in the Hike is the limited inside storage and no dedicated kitchen counter space - you'll need to finish all you cooking prep before you can actually start cooking.

Other question is anyone have it setup for off-grid? How much solar power and batteries did you fit in and based on previous posts it doesn't sounds like it's prewired for an inverter. Definitely need that to run the laptop, screen, and microwave, and I'm curious is there another fan that can be run off 12V to keep the rig cool during the day or when we need to leave the pups for a few hours.
smoothmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #64
Winnebago Camper

I have a 17ft model and would not live full time in it too small. I think there is a 21 ft model. I plan on installing a dome fan (Fan-Tastic Vent Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan and Thermostat) friend installed in his unit and works great. It's pre-wired for solar but you'll need a charge controller and a inverter to run AC items. My wife and I prepare our food on the dining table, also outside barbecue helps. The exoskeleton is great for tieing things to, also cross bars can be relocated to suit your needs. The front storage is big. The only thing for my unit is not enough clothes storage areas. I carry 4 165watt panels and only one battery but will be adding 200 Amp hrs lithium batteries in future for boondocking. Hope this helps some. Woof
Old 06-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #65
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerdog View Post
I have a 17ft model and would not live full time in it too small. I think there is a 21 ft model. I plan on installing a dome fan (Fan-Tastic Vent Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan and Thermostat) friend installed in his unit and works great. It's pre-wired for solar but you'll need a charge controller and a inverter to run AC items. My wife and I prepare our food on the dining table, also outside barbecue helps. The exoskeleton is great for tieing things to, also cross bars can be relocated to suit your needs. The front storage is big. The only thing for my unit is not enough clothes storage areas. I carry 4 165watt panels and only one battery but will be adding 200 Amp hrs lithium batteries in future for boondocking. Hope this helps some. Woof
Thanks. This is helpful. I find it confusing how different RV vendors list either the exterior length or internal length as the primary size of their RV. The 17' floorplan looks fine for sq.ft perspective with the slide out. But the storage just seems to be limited. From what I would tell from the pictures, the cubby shelfs at both ends of the rig could have been made into larger and deeper cabinets instead and would definitely be a solution for clothes storage. Even the the 21' model has only the cubby shelves, so I guess DIY your own cabinets is the best solution for more storage?
Old 06-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #66
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
Thanks. This is helpful. I find it confusing how different RV vendors list either the exterior length or internal length as the primary size of their RV. The 17' floorplan looks fine for sq.ft perspective with the slide out. But the storage just seems to be limited. From what I would tell from the pictures, the cubby shelfs at both ends of the rig could have been made into larger and deeper cabinets instead and would definitely be a solution for clothes storage. Even the the 21' model has only the cubby shelves, so I guess DIY your own cabinets is the best solution for more storage?
I think this probably could be a new thread "Full-timing in a Hike?". What are your perceived limitations on length/weight? A used 2019-2020 Micro Minnie trailer could get you a little more room and A LOT MORE weight capacity. Smaller trailers typically aren't capable of carrying much weight, which is fine for the weekends but troublesome for full-time usage.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #67
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry for hijacking the Hike owners thread. Good suggestion. I actually noticed the Micro-Minnie first - but the Hike got my attention more since we do all the outdoor gear activities the Hike is "designed" for. I am surprised the smaller Hikes are single axle, since they are supposed to carry gear and toys.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #68
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
Sorry for hijacking the Hike owners thread. Good suggestion. I actually noticed the Micro-Minnie first - but the Hike got my attention more since we do all the outdoor gear activities the Hike is "designed" for. I am surprised the smaller Hikes are single axle, since they are supposed to carry gear and toys.
The current Micro Minnies have the dual axles, but not a compelling cargo capacity. The 2019-2020 models (and maybe a year or two before that as well) had ~3000 lbs of cargo capacity. They're the ones I'd point you toward if you want more cargo in a small trailer. Winnebago decided to derate the axles and the trailers for the 2021b Micro Minnie models, so I can't recommend them in the same way.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

Yes DIY for storage, I'm going to put shelves in the bathroom cabinet. I removed a small panel under the bathroom sink to find system winterizing valve and more storage.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #70
Winnebago Watcher

Tanks and battery box

I have a new Hiike H17OS as of April 2021. Have not had a chance to even take it out for a shake down yet. Been slowly working on a few things.
When I purchased the Hike my dealer installed a “Equal-I-zer “ automatically in the deal. To do this they had to remove the tanks and battery box and put a plastic cover for the tanks and put the battery in a battery box.
In order to finally get out of there I went along with this but also took the original box home with me. Even though Winnebago raised the attach point for the box to help with this issue on 2021 models it is still not high to work with the 4-point sway control mention above.
Has anyone else gone through this and ended up doing a re-install of the original box raised higher to clear the Equal-I-zer?
Thank you in advance. I’m located in ST Petersburg FL.
jschlitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #71
Winnebago Watcher

Sewer drain pipe storage

New Hike owner here. Is there a dedicated location to store your sewer drain pipe in the Hike? Obviously, if it exists I have yet to find it, but I’d like to keep it segregated from everything else for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
Pastone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #72
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastone15 View Post
New Hike owner here. Is there a dedicated location to store your sewer drain pipe in the Hike? Obviously, if it exists I have yet to find it, but I’d like to keep it segregated from everything else for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
I don't know the answer, but if there isn't one you can always get one that mounts underneath the trailer: Amazon link
Old 07-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #73
Winnebago Camper

None on my unit, I have end caps for my hose and place it in a plastic bag, and store it in the rear compartment. Thats where I keep all my yucky stuff.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #74
Site Team

I see there is a square bumper... most travel trailers carry their sewer hose in the rear bumper. I don't know the Hike well enough to know if that's a viable option. But it's been tradition for decades.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #75
Winnebago Camper

I also don't have a spare tire, dealer said not putting them on anymore. Did anybody else with a hike get a spare tire?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #76
Winnebago Camper

Jschlitter,
Have not gone that route yet. I need something to equalize the weight. I haven't had that much sway yet but my rear weight on my vehicle cause the steering to be squirrely and harder to control. I though about cutting holes in the box or installing the rubber bladders in the rear shocks. Price is an issue. Woof
Old 07-20-2021, 04:48 AM   #77
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerdog View Post
I also don't have a spare tire, dealer said not putting them on anymore. Did anybody else with a hike get a spare tire?
We have a 2021 model and have a spare tire mounted underneath the trailer near the front of it.
Pastone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #78
Winnebago Owner

Hello “hikers”

Greetings-
We are currently waiting on delivery to dealer of a new Hike 170S. Moving on from a Nu Camp T@B 400.
We have searched enought to be fairly certain the 170S will fit our needs.
We do have 1 question left unanswered- what racks (i.e., thule, yakima) attach to the exoskeleton? And/or what is the diameter of the exoskeleton tubing?

Thanks,
Steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #79
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, considering a Hike for its more rugged/off-road features. Has anyone taken their Hike off road? How did it perform?
StephenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:42 AM   #80
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastone15 View Post
We have a 2021 model and have a spare tire mounted underneath the trailer near the front of it.
Not sure how it would apply to the Hike, but I relocated my spare to the tongue after replacing and moving the battery to the pass-thru

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3892791