Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
CvT
Winnebago Watcher

Hike 172bh hitch questions

We recently purchased a 2021 Winnebago Hike 172bh and I'm struggling to find the right hitch to level it. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tundra that has a V8 engine. The issue is with the single axle design set in the rear half of the TT it drops the tongue/hitch to a point where I'm not getting the TT level. I have flipped a 4 1/2 inch drop hitch but I still need 3 more inches to be level. I know I'm within the legal range but I'd still like it to ride more level since I believe it will ride better. Just today I went to get a load distributing and anti-sway control hitch but with the gear box seated the way it is on the Hike, the sway bars wont attach. I'm thinking the designers were aware of this and therefore I don't really need it. However, I'm left needing the height adjustment. I looked at the Curt Rebellion XD which I like for the shock absorption but again, it's only a drop and not a rise. I need the adjustment to raise instead of drop. I'd love some feedback from other Hike owners and those of you who have troubleshot a similar issue. Thanks in advance!
CvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
2108FBS

I don't have a hike but check out the Anderson WDH. You can get it with an 8" rise. You can also just the chain length which might help with your bracket placement issue.
I use one on my Micro Minnie 2108FBS.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Team

They make drops up to 10" or more. Which means if you flip it over it raises up to 10" or more.

Also, a single axle trailer is pretty much more prone to sway than a double axle trailer.

Check Husky Centerline, Andersen and Equilizer hitches - they have weight distribution and anti-sway built in.

Drop hitch shanks:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Dro...Inch_Drop.aspx
Old 07-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
CvT
Winnebago Watcher

Solved the issue!

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions! I was able to find a dealer who had just solved the same problem I was dealing with. That being not enough room on the trailer hitch for the brackets to be placed due where the gearbox is located. The dealer found a Reece WDH model that drops below the trailer hitch and therefore does not conflict with the box. I drove it home yesterday and what a difference! Yes, the single axle causes a significant amount of sway and this hitch both brought it up to level as well as counters the sideways momentum.

If any one else finds themselves in the same situation, your solution is this:

Reese 49911 Round Bar Weight Distribution Kit with Integrated Sway, 6,000 lbs. (GTW), 600 lbs. (TW)
CvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Can someone remind me? I remember hearing somewhere that if you do have to be unlevel it's better to be either low in front or high in front to prevent sway. I don't see why it would make a difference, other than maybe tongue weight, and if that's it, then it's probably better to be low in front. But I really don't rememeber.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

One more consideration is how will the leveling of the TT affect the amount of weight transferred to the ball. Given the US thought process there has to be a certain percentage of weight on that ball. Some how in Europe they are not that particular about that yet their trailers ride pretty well, and yes they tow them with all sorts of vehicles including cars (hmmm). Many of their trailers (caravans) are spacious, well built, aerodynamic, less maintenance prone and lighter than the US market space... Neato feature many have had for 20 odd years is ability to self park the caravan via electric motordriven wheel attachment or each wheel on the trailer. Yes those things have finally made it across the pond to the US market now sorta kinda !!

Another option may be to lower the TT height can be done if the suspension is springs driven by reversing and or using smaller tires wheels etc etc. Manufactured to be not so usable but hey its a rite of passage or initiation in the RV world of USA.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Did the dealer have to cut into the box to allow for installation? We just got the hike 215 SH and are asking the same questions about stabilizer install with the box.
MShabany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Have same question as MShabany above. The dealer said they need to notch the box and to do that they need to take it off. I am wondering if they can't simply add spacers to lift it a half inch or so if that would make room for the WDH...
pascualg805 is offline   Reply With Quote