Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #81
Winnebago Camper

Hey Steve,
My exo-tubing is 1 1/2 inches od, also the cross bars are movable.
Woof
Dyerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #82
Winnebago Camper

I have taken my 170S off road, (well in the dirt) bumpy road and worked out just fine. Just make sure everything is secured real well, and take it slow. (You probably know that already).
Going BLM camping soon off-road so will give update.
Woof
Old 08-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #83
Winnebago Watcher

In regards to installing a weight distribution hitch, this was our experience with our 2021 Hike 172BH. We purchased an E2 Equalizer hitch along with our trailer, assured by our stellar sales team that the install would be no problem. When we found that the utility box was flush with the top of the frame rails, I was able to get a "shim kit" from the dealer, which amounted to a couple of sticks of composite. It was simple to cut these to size, unbolt the box from the frame, then put the shims/spacers under the box and bolt back up with some extended fasteners from the hardware store. The E2 hitch mounted right up and no issues for last 2000 miles. I highly recommend the WDH. When set up correctly, it makes our truck handle perfectly, and the trailer tracks beautifully, even in high crosswinds here in Colorado and NM.
smiles2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #84
Winnebago Camper

Thank you smiles2222, will give it a look. How much space did you move the box up?
Woof
Old 08-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #85
Winnebago Watcher

2 inches. Exactly enough for the E2 frame brackets to bolt on at the top most bolt holes. You can create spacers to lift the box as high as you need for whatever hitch brackets you're using. These composite pieces they gave me seemed to be the exact size I needed for the E2.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #86
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastone15 View Post
New Hike owner here. Is there a dedicated location to store your sewer drain pipe in the Hike? Obviously, if it exists I have yet to find it, but I’d like to keep it segregated from everything else for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
Nope! ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OE3FVDYM&psc=1 on Amazon and will be mounting it this coming weekend! Will get some pics once its mounted!
dbjohnso86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #87
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone discovered how to manually retract the slide on their Hike?
Old 08-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #88
Winnebago Watcher

New to this forum and to our hike 171db. Over the last two day we took our 171 dB aka " Freya" camping one night wet and one night dry. So far I have had only minor issues like the battery hooked up backwards to the solar controller (manufacturers oops) and one of the bed cross minders cracking at a knot. Both are easy fixes. But what I can't figure out is how to fill my fresh water tank. I can fill it to 1/3 and than it acts full. I add water slowly as to not pressurize the tank but I can't seem to stuff over 1/3 tank full. I thought maybe the the gage was off but during my turn at the shower it became clear the gage was correct. The pump started dry spinning and water pressure dropped rapidly. The gray water showed 1/3 tank and the black was showing empty. I read the owners manual and all it really says is it's a gravity feed system. I am thinking the filler hose my have an uphill rise to it or a kink. But before I go shoving a length of white hose down its throat I though maybe it could be operater error and someone might be able to guide me in the proper filling of my fresh water tank.
Riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #89
Winnebago Watcher

I've had a slight issue getting our tank full a couple of times. I think it was slightly nose down when it happened. I just pulled the hose out and waited a few seconds and after a little while it started filling and went to the top. Maybe lift it up a bit or down a bit with the landing gear?
Old 08-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #90
Winnebago Watcher

I'll try it thanks, smiles2222
Old 08-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #91
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastone15 View Post
We have a 2021 model and have a spare tire mounted underneath the trailer near the front of it.
My dealer put one under the tongue of my 2020 (because they had told me it came with a spare tire, it was a surprise to them too that Winnebago was selling Adventure packages without spares). Then I went on uneven terrain, it scraped (and I was at the highest height on the axle) I am looking to move it to the exoskeleton or roof...
HikeGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #92
Winnebago Watcher

Tank heaters

we are planning to take Freya (Winni Hike171DB) out for a week of dry camping and the night time temps will be in the upper 20s, day time temps in the mid 50s. My concern is will will
my tank heaters run on the stored DC power and where is the switch.
We did a similar trip last year in our Camp lite cabover camper and had to check into a campground to fix all kind of leaks from the water freezing in the pipes. Hopping not to have the same thing happen this time because I can work on plumbing issues at home and don't need to take vacation time or drive to do it.
I may just be paranoid from last years trip, but if anyone has experience with this issue let me know because I would rather learn from your experience than to live though my own cold day plumbing issues.
Before someone post that the will not likely get cold enough to freeze in those types of conditions. I would agree however, I would still like to know before I need to know because the long-range forecast is the nearest weather station about 3000 feet lower elevation and if my math is right that's about 9 deg lower temps and there is a chance of rain.
Thanks for your help
Old 10-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #93
Site Team

Tank heaters (all heaters) are massive power consumers. They can run your batteries dead in short order.

But... you don't need them. Just run your propane furnace at night and you'll be fine.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:26 PM   #94

Slide topper?

Has anyone added a slide topper to their Hike? I’m wondering where I should attach the awning rail and brackets where there will be backing material to hold it securely.
kybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #95
Winnebago Camper

We purchased the Hike 172BH and we're excited to take out this spring, already booked a bunch of trips. I'm putting together a list of spare parts to keep on board, starting with fuses. Our unit has the Go Power! 100W solar panel. I can't find the inverter and fuse, it's not near the battery. Tried tracing along the wires but haven't found it yet. Any information on where to find it would be appreciated.
chips09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips09 View Post
We purchased the Hike 172BH and we're excited to take out this spring, already booked a bunch of trips. I'm putting together a list of spare parts to keep on board, starting with fuses. Our unit has the Go Power! 100W solar panel. I can't find the inverter and fuse, it's not near the battery. Tried tracing along the wires but haven't found it yet. Any information on where to find it would be appreciated.
I have a 2022 171DB. The Hikes do not come with an inverter installed, which means you cannot use any of the 120V AC electronics (TV most notably) unless connected to shore power or a generator.
kybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #97
Winnebago Camper

KyBrandy: that makes sense, thanks for the quick reply.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #98
Winnebago Camper

I'm researching a generator for my 2022 Hike 172BH. My Dometic air conditioner manual states I need 3500 w minimum to run it. I'm interested in the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel Inverter gen, which has 3400 surge watt with 3100 continuous. Anyone know if this would be sufficient for the Hike, or should I look for a larger generator? Thanks
Old 11-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips09 View Post
I'm researching a generator for my 2022 Hike 172BH.
Actually, you can probably get by with a smaller 2,500w genset. But you'd not be able to run much else (120v) at the same time as the A/C.

And, there are mods you can do to your A/C unit on the roof to make it use less electricity when starting the compressor that would make it work even better on a 2,200w Generator.

You'll find that many of the 3,500w generators are pretty heavy to lug around, so be sure to check out the weight before buying.

When we had travel trailers we had two Honda 2000i generators that we hauled in the back of our tow vehicle. In cooler weather we used just one genset to power the microwave, and everything except the A/C and then in warmer weather we would run both gensets and pair them together to produce 4,000w.

That was 10+ years ago, now many portable gensets are higher power and not much heavier. It will take 2,500w or so to run the A/C
Old 11-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #100
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Actually, you can probably get by with a smaller 2,500w genset. But you'd not be able to run much else (120v) at the same time as the A/C.

And, there are mods you can do to your A/C unit on the roof to make it use less electricity when starting the compressor that would make it work even better on a 2,200w Generator.

You'll find that many of the 3,500w generators are pretty heavy to lug around, so be sure to check out the weight before buying.

When we had travel trailers we had two Honda 2000i generators that we hauled in the back of our tow vehicle. In cooler weather we used just one genset to power the microwave, and everything except the A/C and then in warmer weather we would run both gensets and pair them together to produce 4,000w.

That was 10+ years ago, now many portable gensets are higher power and not much heavier. It will take 2,500w or so to run the A/C
Thanks for the information! The 3500w gens tend to be around a 100 lbs so you're right, they are cumbersome to haul around. I like your suggestion of two smaller gens in series, I'll look into that.