Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2100BH water leak from water heater

We have a 23’ Micro minnie 2100BH and whenever we turn on the water heater, about 30 mins later we have a water leak. I’ve checked all the fittings, and even replaced one that wasn’t seated correctly from the factory, but still no visible drips.

The only thing consistent is the water pools up close to the water pump, but we have been connected to campground water so we haven’t been using the pump. I checked all those fittings but still no visible drips.

With the water heater, is there any kind of pressure build up if you don’t use the water where it would cause a leak? I’m stumped, and our dealership doesn’t have any openings for weeks so I thought I’d check with you all to see if anyone has had a similar experience and found a fix.

Cheers and thanks
Atreides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We don't get much in the way of online info on the trailer group and finding a new trailer user for that specific trailer is low odds, so let me throw out some general ideas and maybe get the ideas moving?
There are some things which are pretty universal between the motorhomes where we get lots of info, even down to looking at how the plumbing is laid out and the trailer group. Just they don't post as much online.
So a couple points we can depend on may help.
First the water pump is likely to have pressure on it, eventhoughyou are on city water and not using the pump. There is likely to be a plumbing line between the pump and pressure water so expect water to be in the pump but with a check valve to keep that water from moving out of any ouside connection.
What I'm saying is leaks at the pump are still possible!
Second point is that there should be no leaking due to the water heater being used. There ARE strange times when the air gap which is built into the way the water heater tank works can be lost and excess pressure can force water out the safety devise. All water heater will have a temperature and pressure relief valve built in to stick out the upper portion of any water heater, including at home. Pretty odd and I would not expect this to be the problem but easy to take a look to rule it out? If you open the outside cover of the heater and loook somewhat near the top, you are likely to see what looks like a pipe fitting with no pipe? That is the relief valve and there are times when water is forced out there, so take a look for ANY water as it is only meant for safety and should only let water out before the tank blows up!!! Not expecting to find any there, though.
NOTE:
Don't flip that lever up if the tank is full of hot water! OUCH!

But then there is a leak somewhere that needs to be found as water running around is not good!

I've done a lot of leak chasing and it is hard to spot at times. Water comes out someplace and then runs around crazy until we can spot it, so we may need to look but if not finding the real leak, we may have to go further and try to sort which way it comes from.

There are tons os suspects, even the drain lines, so we need to makes usre it is water supply or drains. Any smell to the water? Does it leak if you are hooked to pressure water but not heating the water heater?
Careful checking will tell you a bit more.

Then when you wipe up a puddle from around the pump, you likely can't tell which direction it came from when it made the puddle.

There are a couple tricks I have used that may help but it can be tricky at best!

Tissue from the bathroom makes a good item to wipe down all around any fitting as it changes in appearnace and we can spot even a tiny amount of moisture on the tissue so that we can see it better than just looking for drips.
Also is you wipe the water up, dry it and then lay bits of tissue in a circle around the pump,so are likely to get wet and you can use that to figure which direction the water is getting there---or maybe the leak is at the pump?
Kind of a "pink panther" type move but it can help to find the trail!

And finding the trail can be the hard part because it may change from one parking site to another as the trailer slopes a bit different! Water is sneaky and you may find a puddle under the pump one day and under the shower the next but neither of them leaking because it came from the galley sink!

Maybe there will be somebody along with that exact trailer but maybe this will give you a push in the right direction for the bug hunt!!
Odds are good that it is just some small fitting not tight enough???
Best of luck to you!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 10:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I figured out the source of the leak! With the water heater on, I was moving a piece of drawing paper next to all the fittings (easy to see if the paper was wet) to see if there was any residual water and found a small amount on the inlet fitting on the water pump. I checked that fitting and it was not very tight as I was able to rotate 180 degrees until it was “hand tight”. After 4 hours everything was completely dry.

What was also interesting is there were no drips under that fitting because the tubing ran diagonally down, and the water followed the tubing down and against the cabinetry where I couldn’t see and was hard to access, and was where the water was pooling up.

Thanks @morich for the ideas as I was able to find the source!

Cheers
Atreides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Periodically check the drain traps on the sinks as they can vibrate loose in your travels.

Tags
heat, heater, leak, water, water heater, water leak