Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2023, 12:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Used Pricing 2017 View 24J

Hello all, what a great resource here I have already found the answers to many questions I have. I have one that seems to be more open ended so I'm asking for some assistance

Looking to enter a contract with a private party on a 2017 View 24J with 45k miles. I notice jd power has some crazy ranges for used. 84k is "low" book on this unit..I have negotiated a price of $74k which I think is pretty good.

My question is that is this a fair price? I can't find anything priced on RV Trader this low, but I want to make sure if I turn around in a year or two and this doesn't work I don't get my butt burned too bad, because the market is soft now and well..these things depreciate like a rock. The interest rates suck too right now but that's not here nor there.

From what I can tell this has full body paint, new tires, truma, and some other odds and ends from the factory.. and everything has run properly from my full tests.

Thoughts?
grooverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Grooverider,
I believe your use of RV Trader is the best price-check you have available on-line. The View is now six years old, so I would guess the major depreciation has already occurred. With so many economic variables in motion right now, my best advice to you is if you will get good use out of the motorhome, and it is in good shape, then why not?
The only other consideration would be to assure yourself that you really want to own one. You can always rent a few times before you buy to know better what you really want.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-19-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team

I know this is not what you are asking, but keep in mind that like a boat, an RV is never a good investment. And they don’t much hold their value even if you strike a good deal like the one you seem to have found. We all love our RVs (well, most of us do) not for cash value, and certainly not for all the cost and frustration they can bring but for the experiences we make in them.

The View is both the best selling Winnebago motorhome and the best selling Class C sold in the country. And this has been the case for many years.

It sounds like you’ve found a good price on a hopefully good example of the most popular Winnebago.

Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As mentioned, RV are like lots of our recreational toys and not a good investment.
But we still do it, so I move to looking at specific items on RV that I might want to avoid!
One is the way the black and grey tanks are arranged as they have used some methods that tend to be more trouble.
I am certainly not saying this RV has a current problem but I will point out one that I would shy away from buying, due to the complaints we have seen here on the forum!

We have a great online shopping tool in the "interactive parts catalog" which lets us "look through the walls" to see things we could never see in person!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

On this site, I see this?
Click this snip to get a better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	dra.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	187026

What I see from reports on this system is the the drain valve which has cable going direct to the valve seems to work better than the one I have marked in orange as suspect!
The cable is something like we find on many small motors like lawnmowers, etc for throttle controls, only in this case it is built into the RV and difficult to get to for any maintenace. They tend to rust and the inner wire becomes stuck to the flexible outer cover so they won't move the valve well. Or if the clamps along the cable get a bit loose, the force is lost!
Either seems to be a pain I want to avoid!

I have no dog in this fight and nothing to gain nor lose on any sales, so just my personal opinion?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I know this is not what you are asking, but keep in mind that like a boat, an RV is never a good investment. And they don’t much hold their value even if you strike a good deal like the one you seem to have found. We all love our RVs (well, most of us do) not for cash value, and certainly not for all the cost and frustration they can bring but for the experiences we make in them.

The View is both the best selling Winnebago motorhome and the best selling Class C sold in the country. And this has been the case for many years.

It sounds like you’ve found a good price on a hopefully good example of the most popular Winnebago.

Enjoy!
Thank you, as they say with a boat..bring out another thousand. It seems I have been able to get an agressive price because the seller wants to buy a condo. 74k seems about 5k or so lower then what most are going for in this range so I expect to lose money if I sell..but nowhere near a new one. The other reason why I'm thinking of the winnebago is for what you said, the fact that it is desired and if I wanted to part ways down the road I likely wouldn't have much issue selling, albeit for a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As mentioned, RV are like lots of our recreational toys and not a good investment.
But we still do it, so I move to looking at specific items on RV that I might want to avoid!
One is the way the black and grey tanks are arranged as they have used some methods that tend to be more trouble.
I am certainly not saying this RV has a current problem but I will point out one that I would shy away from buying, due to the complaints we have seen here on the forum!

We have a great online shopping tool in the "interactive parts catalog" which lets us "look through the walls" to see things we could never see in person!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

On this site, I see this?
Click this snip to get a better view!
Attachment 187026

What I see from reports on this system is the the drain valve which has cable going direct to the valve seems to work rrow another throunbetter than the one I have marked in orange as suspect!
The cable is something like we find on many small motors like lawnmowers, etc for throttle controls, only in this case it is built into the RV and difficult to get to for any maintenace. They tend to rust and the inner wire becomes stuck to the flexible outer cover so they won't move the valve well. Or if the clamps along the cable get a bit loose, the force is lost!
Either seems to be a pain I want to avoid!

I have no dog in this fight and nothing to gain nor lose on any sales, so just my personal opinion?
Thanks brother..I have been reading your other posts, one thing to love about the Winnebago is their diagrams and their build sheets..invaluable! Their support has already helped me and I don't even own it yet!
Old 08-19-2023, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Greetings Grooverider,
I believe your use of RV Trader is the best price-check you have available on-line. The View is now six years old, so I would guess the major depreciation has already occurred. With so many economic variables in motion right now, my best advice to you is if you will get good use out of the motorhome, and it is in good shape, then why not?
The only other consideration would be to assure yourself that you really want to own one. You can always rent a few times before you buy to know better what you really want.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Thank you, my thoughts are in line with this. We travel with 4 "naked" cats..Sphynx, so it's much easier to travel in a motorhome. We had a travel trailer, Lance, and loved it, but I hated having to own a truck to haul it. Sold it during the pandemic during the crazy values time, and bought a used Class B. We have outgrown that, loved the drivability but way too small and the wife hated the wet bath. Winnebago was the only model we saw in this low 70s range which was our budget which frankly speaking wasn't a huge pos after a few years. This one looks practically new after 7 years. We checked out a 2 year old Thor Sprinter and wowza..cabinets peeling, walls falling apart, cheap paneling, couch ripped and broken, fabric wearing..I just want something that was built with some quality materials and these View's seem to be that.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Funny, you mentioned the THOR! We also had a Thor and it was NEW! One of those things where life was treating us nice and we felt after all the years of working our way up through all the beaters, we "deserved' better?
Once we got it home and did a few trips, we decided to move back to used Winnebago!
Part of that decsion came when I started doing things that required getting into lots of those hidden spaces to add wiring, etc.
WOW! That was disappointing on a new RV. Wiring seemed to be built from a set of wiring and all wiring used to fit all sizes, leaving large bundles/coils of wire in places we would normally expect to use as storage. I've moved on and forgotten what the item was but electronics of some sort with a coil of cables just flopped on top with no attempt to attach it to anything, so that banged up and down as we drove. Wires that move are wires that break!
Then we started to add to the audio video and needed to know where the other end of a coax should be, so I called. The answer was as close to telling me to shove it as I've had lately. All RV are just "generic" was not a good answer for me!

We went from a 2017 Thor to a 2015 Winnebago and were glad to do it!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Funny, you mentioned the THOR! We also had a Thor and it was NEW! One of those things where life was treating us nice and we felt after all the years of working our way up through all the beaters, we "deserved' better?
Once we got it home and did a few trips, we decided to move back to used Winnebago!
Part of that decsion came when I started doing things that required getting into lots of those hidden spaces to add wiring, etc.
WOW! That was disappointing on a new RV. Wiring seemed to be built from a set of wiring and all wiring used to fit all sizes, leaving large bundles/coils of wire in places we would normally expect to use as storage. I've moved on and forgotten what the item was but electronics of some sort with a coil of cables just flopped on top with no attempt to attach it to anything, so that banged up and down as we drove. Wires that move are wires that break!
Then we started to add to the audio video and needed to know where the other end of a coax should be, so I called. The answer was as close to telling me to shove it as I've had lately. All RV are just "generic" was not a good answer for me!

We went from a 2017 Thor to a 2015 Winnebago and were glad to do it!
Morich I couldn't have said it better. The Winnebago I'm interested in I looked at all the inside wiring that I could see, inspected walls and window seals, roof seals..heck the fabric in this coach is close to 7 years old and has been well maintained and like new, even the driver and passenger seat. It is obviously used in spots, but nothing like some of the other brands we have shopped for.

I know Lichtsinn does not like the full body paint because it doesn't translate to used value after purchase but the full body bay mist looks fantastic on this unit. After seeing in person I think the full body paint option is the way to go for the long term. I hope everything works out and we are able to keep it long term since the price does seem right.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My View has full body paint. It looks new after 8 years in the Seattle weather. Never buy gel coat if you want resell.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
My View has full body paint. It looks new after 8 years in the Seattle weather. Never buy gel coat if you want resell.
My thoughts as well, what have you used to treat yours to keep new, 303?
Old 08-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I wash it with a soft brush. No wax.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Looking at ads on websites only tells you what people are asking, not what they are getting. Google RV Appraisals and get an appraisal based on sales prices.

Seems like a fair price to me, based on what it would have been new in 2017. I have a 2021.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Enjoy!
I have this exact waste tank setup and have to say that I have yet to have any issues with it. I do lubricate the cable linkages 3 or four times a year though. Larry,2014 Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view