Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Used View / Navion Pricing?

Am I the only one confused about the pricing of used RVs on many of the "for sale" sites. I am seeing $150k-$180k for used Navion/Views, when the new ones are much less than that.

I know people are a bit desperate, but are people really paying way over new unit pricing?
Old 04-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon View Post
Am I the only one confused about the pricing of used RVs on many of the "for sale" sites. I am seeing $150k-$180k for used Navion/Views, when the new ones are much less than that.

I know people are a bit desperate, but are people really paying way over new unit pricing?
I suspect that the actual sale prices are much lower than the advertised "for sale" prices. I suppose there is some benefit in asking for more than you want in that the eventual buyer thinks he or she got a bargain after the haggling over price is finished. And I think the same thing goes for new units for sale.

Even in this hot sellers market I have been contacted by dealers whose initial offer I turned down with much better offers. Prices are still high, but not over the roof in many cases. However, having said that, the Navion and View are great models and I think in high demand.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Don't overlook Craigslist for RVs being sold by their owners. I suspect that many times the current owner paid too much and only wants to pay off their loan with the finance company.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Don't overlook Craigslist for RVs being sold by their owners. I suspect that many times the current owner paid too much and only wants to pay off their loan with the finance company.
True...But I just looked today and found a couple of units listed in a few different Craigslist areas close to where I live (+/- 200 miles).

USED 2020 Winnebago View 24D - $165,000
FOR SALE BY OWNER* Brand New, 2021 Navion 24D, Fully Loaded - $179,900

Are people actually paying these prices (or anywhere near) for used vehicles when new ones are tens of thousands of dollars less?

Why does everyone always reference the MSRP, not what the unit is being sold for?

When I search for a new car, I see (for example):

2021 Ford Explorer Platinum
MSRP: $59,210
For Sale Price: $56,710

This is before any negotiations. I would expect to find a used 2020 Explorer with the same options listed for much less. Say $40,000.

If this example was an RV, I would see the used 2020 model listed for sale for $59,200. This does not make any sense to me.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Why does everyone always reference the MSRP, not what the unit is being sold for?
Because they know if they put a price that's $20,000 cheaper buyers will want to negotiate down from there not from the original asking price.

Plus, the word is out that RVs are in short supply and that prices are rising.

You don't make the world, you just have to live in it.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
True...But I just looked today and found a couple of units listed in a few different Craigslist areas close to where I live (+/- 200 miles).

USED 2020 Winnebago View 24D - $165,000
FOR SALE BY OWNER* Brand New, 2021 Navion 24D, Fully Loaded - $179,900

Are people actually paying these prices (or anywhere near) for used vehicles when new ones are tens of thousands of dollars less?

When I search for a new car, I see (for example):

2021 Ford Explorer Platinum
MSRP: $59,210
For Sale Price: $56,710

This is before any negotiations. I would expect to find a used 2020 Explorer with the same options listed for much less. Say $40,000.

If this example was an RV, I would see the used 2020 model listed for sale for $59,200. This does not make any sense to me.
Some dealers do advertise what they refer to as "no hassle pricing" or its equivalent. Presumably this is the price that the unit will be sold for, and no haggling is expected or accepted. The large multi-location RV dealer in Mesa, Az advertises like this and say that is what the unit will sell for. Not a penny less.

Some Class C motorhomes are currently in very short supply and very heavy demand (including the Navion/View) so I expect that the dealer would stick to their defined price, but I would think that if you offered something less than their price on an RV that was not in high demand and short supply they would consider the offer. We recently had a call-back from a remote dealer with whom we discussed a B+. They had given me a figure and I told them that I declined, saying that I had also declined the same model from a local dealer and that that offer was a lot less than their figure. They did call me back with a much better offer, but that particular RV was not in high demand.

I would not expect the same reaction for a Winnebago Navion/View/Ekko or a Thor Gemini/Compass/Axis/Vegas or any other RV in high demand.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The same thing was happening back in 2012, when we bought our View.

It was insane. Some people (maybe 10%) were asking well over MSRP (let alone the much lower typical new sale price). All I could think was that they were not in a hurry and were hoping for a sucker.

Maybe people that ask a ridiculously high price do not really want to sell but figure that if someone will give them that much they'll take it?

It's really strange.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I was checking out some prices on new Views advertised on a dealer site. This dealer is located near the factory, highly rated and I believe claims to have "no haggle" prices. Check it out--prices ranged from about $179K to nearly $200K. Didn't say if they were available for immediate delivery. I have a 2019 24d. Not for sale, but If someone offered me $160K or so I'd think about it!
Katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katman View Post
I was checking out some prices on new Views advertised on a dealer site. This dealer is located near the factory, highly rated and I believe claims to have "no haggle" prices. Check it out--prices ranged from about $179K to nearly $200K. Didn't say if they were available for immediate delivery. I have a 2019 24d. Not for sale, but If someone offered me $160K or so I'd think about it!
It sounds like many used V/Ns can be sold for more than they cost -- especially if they were purchased used.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have found that many dealers post an add for an RV that if purchased needs to be then ordered from the factory and can have a 6 month to 18 month lead time for the RV to ship out from the factory. Until lead times diminish any used RV will sell for a premium, especially the Class C ones.

We flew 600 miles having made a deposit by phone and credit card to buy our 2021 Navion 24D and it was one of only two in the western USA last fall. There were no used Navions for sale either within 1500 miles of our house. Looking today for Navions listed on RVtrader within 500 miles distance I found only a 2021 selling for $190K and a 2020 selling for $148K and a 2015 selling for $95K. Supply is still quite limited and we are heading into the summer months when people want to have their RV to use.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote