Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Charging while Towing 2022 Micro Minnie 2108DS FLX

I have a 2022 2108 FLX.

Is it supposedto be charging battery while towing (off vehicle alternator). Is so, it's not. Could use help troubleshooting.
Ranthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Some tow trucks do , others will require a fuse under the hood . It would help if we knew the tow truck !
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakullabob View Post
Some tow trucks do , others will require a fuse under the hood . It would help if we knew the tow truck !
Thank you. 2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2wd
Old 06-22-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are several points which may need checked, so I would start with finding if the problem is on the truck or further back. I like to cut the chase in half!
Do you have a standard 7 pin connection on the truck? If true, that would be a place to check the voltage is getting to the correct pins of that connection.
Click image for larger version

Name:	f RV plug.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	186424

Do you have ground on pin 1 and 12Volts on pin 4? If not, Look for that fuse! If god to that point, begin to move further to the trailer, checking for those battery and ground at each point as you move closer to the battery you want to be charging!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you disconnect your array from the battery (and no other power sources), your Lithionics app should tell you how much amperage is reaching the battery from the 7-pin (with tow vehicle motor running). If you don’t have a manual reset breaker between array and battery, it’s definitely worth installing one. Cheap ($30) and an easy install. Tow vehicle alternator should be sending 2-5 amps to the 7-pin. The only way to get more amps from TV is a separate wire to a dc to dc charge controller. If you don’t want to install a manual reset breaker, you can go on the roof and disconnect the array from the gland, then check Lithionics with tv running.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No voltage at 7 pin. Fuse must be blown. Now I need to find where the fuse is.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hey I don't know about your vehicle but I learned on the Sprinter / Navion/ View there is no power on pin #4 until a load is detected. A simple filament lamp like an 1157 lamp connected across pin 1 and 4 and bingo there was power. Once I figured this out I ran pin #4 thru a 10 amp fuse and to my tow vehicle positive battery terminal. Make sure the ground on terminal one is connected to the chassis ground of the toad. To confirm this was working I read the tow vehicle battery with both vehicles off, Then started the RV and read the tow vehicle,,, 14.5 VDC. I have not had a weak or dead battery yet. As a caution I don't start the engine in the toad until I disconnect the power cord from the RV.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I've found the fuse. Going to check it in a bit. Will report back.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Fuse Was Blown

Fuse was blown. Replaced it. Lithonics app shows no charge. GoPower shows 67 watts of sun on the controller. It seems that should register on the Lithonics app. App shows nothing for charging from either source. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230622-193941_Li3 Battery.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	186425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230622-193932_Li3 Battery.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	186426  

Old 06-22-2023, 06:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Come to think of it...even if I'm getting 500 watts of sun...it never shows the charging in the Lithonics app. The only time that number registers a charge is when connected to shore or generator and inverter is charging.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I do not like to trust monitors if I can avoid it as they tend to mislead at times.
I would work the question as a seperate issue, first getting the charge from the tow vehicle to the battery and seeing it there with a meter.
then if not showing on the monitor, you will know it is a monitor problem, not other parts of the whole!
Then once you have one item working and fully checked, you can go into any other problems without needing to question if it is something like the panel wiring or just a problem with the monitor like settings, etc.

If we try to work a whole bunch of small problems all at the same time, it can seem so confusing and complex that we miss getting the basics done.
If we want to cut down a forest full of trees, we have to pick a tree and cut it down before moving to the next!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I do not like to trust monitors if I can avoid it as they tend to mislead at times.
I would work the question as a seperate issue, first getting the charge from the tow vehicle to the battery and seeing it there with a meter.
then if not showing on the monitor, you will know it is a monitor problem, not other parts of the whole!
Then once you have one item working and fully checked, you can go into any other problems without needing to question if it is something like the panel wiring or just a problem with the monitor like settings, etc.

If we try to work a whole bunch of small problems all at the same time, it can seem so confusing and complex that we miss getting the basics done.
If we want to cut down a forest full of trees, we have to pick a tree and cut it down before moving to the next!
Agree. This is what was taught in my IT training.
I have voltage at the harness connection.
Going toward trailer, not sure where to check next.
Is the next connection at the GoPower charge controller?

Tags
towing, tow, charging