Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unresponsive slides & levelers 2006 Meridian 36G

Hi all,
Getting ready to hit the road for a couple of weeks away and have a slide challenge. Opened bedroom slide last weekend to access drawers. No problems. Went to retract slide yesterday and get no response from the switch. Checked the living room slide, also no response. Levelers are up, and, like everything else, no response when buttons are pressed; although power light goes on, I don't get a response.

This is an HWH 325 system. I've checked the control module while pressing switches and buttons; lights shift, so I know the input is being received at the control module. Tried with and without engine running. Released and reset the parking brake multiple times, including after rolling forward and back 5-6 feet. Still no response.

It seems to me that the control module doesn't think the parking brake is set, but I haven't found anything online about checking this function.

At this point, I'd just like to get the slide retracted so we can hit the road and camp without slides and by leveling with blocks. I've reviewed the HWH emergency retraction manual, and it speaks more to front slide than bedroom slide.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2023, 03:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have no real answer for you sorry, hopefully someone with greater knowledge will help out. I will however give you a couple of my thoughts. Could you have pushed the "salesman switch" on the dash? It will shut off 12v power. Have you tried all with the engine running? It maybe your batteries are to low for things to work.

Again I am just guessing
Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, be happy, for sharing a few thoughts. I'm pretty sure I didn't hit the "salesman switch" as lights and pump are working, but I'l double-check. Other early attempts are consistent with your suggestions: I've tried slides w/ and w/o engine running, plus chassis batteries are only a few months old and well-maintained.

I've reviewed the HWH and Winnebago manuals to figure out manual retraction. All directions point to opening 1/4" nut on extend and retract valves/solenoids 4.5 turns to release pressure, then manually pushing slide in. Difficult to get to target nuts, and then more difficult to get a good grab on them, so I haven't been successful...yet. Have a couple of calls in to mobile RV techs, but not many available in my area and they're very busy. In the meantime, I'll keep working to figure it out.

Again, thanks!
Old 06-21-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can contact Paul (AZPETE) at [email protected] or call him at 602-549-3638. He works for HWH. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I assume your pump doesn't run when the slides or levelers are actuated.

If it's the parking brake, this thread may help. Hopefully this is it since it should be an easy fix:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ke-249942.html

Otherwise, a bad ground to the hydraulic pump is a common problem. It's easily checked by grounding the pump with a jumper wire.

You can also check for power at the slide switches. If your multimeter shows power across the switches (in the off position), I'd think this shows that the control board is probably OK. There still could be a ground or solenoid problem since the switches operate the pump via solenoids.

The HWH electrical diagrams can be found here, which should help in trouble shooting with a multimeter:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Ray,IN and BobC for your input. I didn't need to call Paul but will keep his number nearby for future reference. BobC, your thought that it could be a bad ground to the hydraulic pump was close...I had a bad connection (partially a fried wire and partially a broken/overly corroded solenoid post) coming from coach power to the pump solenoid. I can get it working with a jumper wire and holding the post in place, so will work to replace the wire and solenoid ASAP.

Much appreciation to you for taking the time to respond to my post!
Old 06-23-2023, 08:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

They may have caught up with things but due to supply chain issues, HWH was unable to supply many parts back in 3/22. I had to replace two solenoid valves and was able to get them from Stuart's Service in Elkhart, IN. They were easy to deal with over the phone and prompt in shipping:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, levelers