Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Best towing setup for 2022 View and 2022 Jeep Wrangler

This is what we've got. We have a Roadmaster towing hitch that we used with another RV pulling a Fiat. Hitch place that we called to have that hitch hooks put on the Jeep said nothing doing. Need a new hitch. True? Where's best place to get the Jeep end of the hitch set up? Thanks, Jen
Jgmay57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm a little confused about your question. Generally there is a hitch mounted on the RV. Then there is a tow bar that goes from the RV hitch to the towed vehicle baseplate. Finally, there is a custom baseplate mounted to the frame of the towed vehicle. You might or might not be able to reuse the tow bar depending on the style and weight rating. A Wrangler is significantly heavier than a Fiat. You definitely won't be able to use the base plate from the Fiat on your new Wrangler.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Clearly confused! Ha!

Thank you for the info about the towing hitch. What you have said is helpful to know--that our current Roadmaster we used with a Fiat may not be strong enough to pull a Wrangler. If we need to purchase a whole new setup, do you suggest the Roadmaster or another brand? Thanks, Jen
Jgmay57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You are welcome. I suggest you do a search online for the "Dingy Towing Guide". It hasn't been updated in a couple of years but is still packed with great information. You will probably get a lot of comments about which brand is best. I think they are all very good. We just happened to pick Blue Ox many years ago and have stuck with it. Besides the tow bar and baseplate, the other main item that you will need to be legal is a brake system. There will be other miscellaneous items like safety cables, a wire harness, and breakaway system. All this is described in the Dingy Towing Guide.

Good luck!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #5
2018 22M

Here’s mine

I started with a Fiat & upgraded to Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Flat tow. I suggest calling eTrailet.com. I’ve had good luck with them over the years (true, not a paid ad haha.) In this case They saved me the cost of a new tow bar by selling me an adapter instead. Been great 2 years now. Yours will be DIFFERENT of course, but my Fiat to Trailhawk switch required:
•Roadmaster Crossbar Style Base Plate Kit -Removeable
•Roadmaster Baseplate to Blue Ox and Demco Tow Bar adapter
• Demco SBS Stay-in-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System-Proportional
•Roadmaster Diode 7-Wire to 6-Wire Flexo-coil Wiring Kit
Good luck!
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Unless you already have a braking system, you might want to check out the Ready Brake line of products. They make a towbar with an integral braking system called the Ready Brute. They also have braking systems that will work with other towbars, like my Blue Ox towbar.

Their braking systems are effective and purely mechanical so they don't rely on electricity, electronics, or air, thereby reducing the chance of failure. They don't advertise as much as other manufactures like Brake Buddy and the like but the owners' reviews that I've read are pretty much 100% positive. The criticisms posted in various forums are invariably theoretical and posted by owners of other systems who have no experience with the Ready Brake. They're also less expensive and there's nothing to move in and out of your toad.

https://www.readybrake.com/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, view