Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw View Post
Thanks for the info! I look at the wrong gear ratio when I stated 7,000lbs tow capacity. I researched and will call the chevy dealership in the morning to confirm. But my truck has the 3.42 when I thought it had the 3.08. Which would bump me up to 9,600lb tow capacity according to my owners manual. If that is the case would you still recommend staying away from the 27bhss or upgrade to a bigger TV? We really like the Minnie's both the 24bhs and 27bhs, the build quality seems better than the others we've looked at. I also noticed the difference in more cargo carrying capacity.
You will be cutting it close with the 27bhss, mainly due to payload capacity. Payload is most likely what will put you over. Figure 1000 lbs tongue weight of trailer, 100 lbs for hitch/sway bar, passenger weights plus your weight over 150 lbs, and fuel weight, and you'll most likely be over with no gear in your truck. We looked at the 24bhs, too. Nice trailer, just missing the couch and some floorspace. We have 3 kids and we had to have the extra room of the 27 to be comfortable. If you don't have more than 1 kid, you can possibly get away with the 24. I think when all is said and done, you will be over rating somewhere with the 27bhss. I am as close as I'd be comfortable pulling. And even I will be looking at 250's sooner rather than later. I didn't want to compromise the trailer, though. If I buy a camper, don't feel comfortable in it, and we never use it, I've wasted money and we probably never get another one. I figured get what we wanted, and needed, and upgrade truck if we needed to. I absolutely love my F150. It's the nicest, most comfortable, powerful truck I've ever owned. I may cry when I trade it. But, I will still upgrade to a heavier duty truck for towing. So, I say work out your numbers, maybe even run your truck over CAT scales alone, and know exactly what you are capable of towing, loading on the back axle, etc. Then, you will know. If you get the 27, though, mentally prepare yourself to buy a larger truck after you get it. Or, err on the side of caution and go with the 24. You should be perfectly fine pulling that one. Just make sure you will be happy with less room. Same dilemma we had and we decided to go larger.

I agree with the quality of the Winnebagos. We felt the same way.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote