Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ordering New Minnie Plus bunkhouse

I'm about to order a new Minnie Plus 27bhss. Decided on everything except color. A few questing, as this is our first travel trailer. Keep in mind, we are in Georgia. Very hot 7-8 months out of the year. We can't decide between Red, Champagne, White it Platinum.
Here are our thoughts:
1)Red- Awesome for UGA football gamedays and away games. Probably use it for 1-2 games a year. Would be perfect color for that, but not our primary use for the camper. My concerns are that darker red color would: 1) absorb/retain more heat, making the trailer harder to keep cool and 2) red may fade over time, making the camper look older sooner than others. Would a bright color be an eyesore at campgrounds?
2) Platinum- Gray and harder to see on roads. Less safe?
3) White-Plain, but more energy efficient?
4) Champagne- Traditional. I like it. My wife calls it"old man" looking.

Thoughts, especially on a red travel trailer?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We had a red TT back in the 80's it faded but maybe the newer paints and clear coats fixed that. We had a red Cavalier tow car for 10 years, no problem with the paint.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback. Fading is my main fear. The red looks SHARP....especially as a Georgia Bulldogs grad and fan. But, I don't want a faded trailer after a few years. It gets very hot here in the summers, and it appears the gelcoat on these fiberglass TT's may not have the UV resistance of newer automobile clearcoats.

I'm thinking the Platinum/gray/silver may be the best option. Just trying to find the one that will look better a few years down the road.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I guess the best way to ask this is:

-For those that have Winnie/Ultralight Winnebago TT's, do you like the color you picked, and would you pick something different if you had it to do over?

-For those that don't have them, the platinum is the most popular. Is that because it will look better for longer and isn't the standard beige or white?

At this point, I think red is ruled out for the possibility of fading to pinkish color over time. I also think rule out white. I think it will yellow over time and look old faster.

So, platinum or champagne?
Old 11-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think you are correct. The darker colors will be warmer. I believe the rig that you are ordering has one air conditioner. My guess is that it will be warmer in the south.

Here in the northwest it isn't an issue. That is why we ordered a darker color. But on our trip through the south it was more difficult to cool.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We went with the Champagne color. It looks sharp with the black trim. No regrets.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It does only have one A/C. We are upgrading to the 15.0 btu instead of the standard 13.5. I'd love the red, but heat and fading fears have it removed from the list.

Still stuck between champagne and Platinum. Can't decide to save our lives. First world problems, huh? 😂
Old 11-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You wouldn't go wrong with either color. They both look good. You're going to love it.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After talking all day, I think we will go with the platinum. The wife likes it better. And it will display UGA Football colors well for games days and away games.

I have a LOT to learn. Brand new adventure for us. Dumping, Maintenance, what to take with us, turning everything on and off..I'm already lost. Wish there was a 101 class to get me started. Luckily, we have Fort Yargo State Park and Hard Labor Creek State Park, both within 20 minutes from the house, to do a few practice runs before heading out of town.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

https://friendsofgastateparks.org/node/628

Since you're going to be using Ga. State Parks a lot, be sure to get the Friends of Georgia Parks pass. The family pass gets you 2 free nights camping and two free yearly parking passes. You also get 10% off all purchases and future camping trips. It pays for itself the first weekend. Great deal.

A lot of Ga. parks are also offering 1/2 price camping from Dec. 1 thru Jan 31.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post

Since you're going to be using Ga. State Parks a lot, be sure to get the Friends of Georgia Parks pass. The family pass gets you 2 free nights camping and two free yearly parking passes. You also get 10% off all purchases and future camping trips. It pays for itself the first weekend. Great deal.

Awesome. Thank you! I will do that before the camper comes in. Ordering this week, will be here late December or early January. These things are hard to come by. There are only 11 on dealership lots in the nation, and the two closest to us aren't exactly what we are looking for. So, I guess we will wait and get what we want.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The Minnie Plus line is new for Winnebago. It's going to take some time to get the dealer lots filled due to the demand. I haven't seen one in person yet but I like the floor plans and specs.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Where do you reserve state parks for RV camping? I looked tonight and nothing shows on the state park website or reserve america. How do you view campsites and book them for GA State Parks? I found what we are looking for about 5 hours away and am thinking of going to pick up the travel trailer this weekend. Would like to take it out the week after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites

This is the main page. You can select your state park and follow the directions. Georgia reserves a campsite for you but the specific site is first come, first served. Reservations are done with a credit card and any discounts are applied at check-in. Several of the parks are allowing you to reserved a specific site but they are few.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. It seems the "Reserve" link just has some problems functioning from my iPad. Found it.

Any suggestions of places to try first? I'm just outside of Athens. Vogel, Tallulah Gorge, Uniquoi, others?
Old 11-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Tugaloo State Park near Lavonia is one of our favorites. When it gets really hot, we head to Black Rock State park in Clayton. Vogel has putt putt and paddle boats for the kids along with a cool CCC museum. You can go on a cave tour at Cloudland Canyon and visit the Chattanooga Aquarium. Also check out the Corp of Engineers parks. Most are closed for the season till May 1, but Bolding Mill COE Campground is open year round. The COE has some of the nicest campgrounds I've seen with large separated sites on the water.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Tugaloo State Park near Lavonia is one of our favorites. When it gets really hot, we head to Black Rock State park in Clayton. Vogel has putt putt and paddle boats for the kids along with a cool CCC museum. You can go on a cave tour at Cloudland Canyon and visit the Chattanooga Aquarium. Also check out the Corp of Engineers parks. Most are closed for the season till May 1, but Bolding Mill COE Campground is open year round. The COE has some of the nicest campgrounds I've seen with large separated sites on the water.
Awesome. Thank you. I've never even heard of COE Campgrounds. I'll have to look them up.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

If you've driven thru some of the Georgia State park campgrounds, when you drive into the COE campground, your first reaction will be WOW. Large lots, usually paved parking pads, spread out and you really have to look to find a campsite not overlooking the water. The roads are wide paved manicured roads and look like a subdivision street. The have nice playgrounds and usually a beach. You can reserve specific sites and they are about $26 per night. If you are 62 or over, you can get a $10 golden age pass and the campsites are $13 a night.

The drawbacks to the COE parks is, no cable tv or sewer hookups. No campground store or planned activities. You have to entertain yourself.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #19

Go Champagne. Wish I had done do.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I Bought the Platinum. Looked at all colors and it came down to Platinum or Champagne. I liked the Platinum better. And it will look great at away UGA football games. Silver goes great with Red and Black!