Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

What is everyone towing the 27bhss with ?
Ryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I have a very stout 2016 F150. 5.0v8. I searched high and low for the highest payload I could find. Mine has 1892 lbs of payload capacity, which is very rare in a half ton truck. With a quality weight distribution hitch and sway bar, it pulls fine. It revs high on long uphill pulls, but that is just the 5.0 engine. It does the same thing pulling a 2,000 lb trailer. I do get some wind push and tractor trailers blow me around a little bit, but otherwise, it pulls fine. That being said, if you are also buying a new truck, go 3/4 ton. I love my truck and it pulls the trailer safely. But, my next truck will drfinitely be a 250 series just for the extra stability and tow capacity.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
I have a very stout 2016 F150. 5.0v8. I searched high and low for the highest payload I could find. Mine has 1892 lbs of payload capacity, which is very rare in a half ton truck. With a quality weight distribution hitch and sway bar, it pulls fine. It revs high on long uphill pulls, but that is just the 5.0 engine. It does the same thing pulling a 2,000 lb trailer. I do get some wind push and tractor trailers blow me around a little bit, but otherwise, it pulls fine. That being said, if you are also buying a new truck, go 3/4 ton. I love my truck and it pulls the trailer safely. But, my next truck will drfinitely be a 250 series just for the extra stability and tow capacity.
I have a Silverado 5.3 my sticker says 7,000lb tow capacity with a 1,650 payload. Concerned the 27bhss would be too much for my TV. Go with the 24ft bunkhouse instead ?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw View Post
I have a Silverado 5.3 my sticker says 7,000lb tow capacity with a 1,650 payload. Concerned the 27bhss would be too much for my TV. Go with the 24ft bunkhouse instead ?
I wouldn't attempt to pull the 27bhss or the 24 bunkhouse with your truck. I mean no disrespect to your truck....it just can't pull it. My tow capacity is over 9,000 lbs. And my trailer, fully loaded is a little over 7,600 lbs. It is as heavy as I'd pull with my truck. Like I said, my next truck will be a 250, solely because I now own this travel trailer. If you are going to pull with your current truck you need a trailer that has a gvwr of less than your tow capacity. Then, you still have to calculate your WD hitch, tongue weight, all passengers, fuel in the truck and any weight of yourself over 150 lbs That all takes away from your tow capacity. I spent about a year learning and running numbers. You can't exceed the payload, rear axle weight, gross vehicle weight, hitch weight...any of it. It took me almost a year before I finally bought a little over a month ago. I've run my truck and trailer across CAT scales twice since then, just double checking my weights. I know it's not what you want to hear. I got discouraged and almost didn't buy a trailer because of feedback just like this. In fact, I took months off of looking, and then got the itch again. Not trying to be a weight nazi, but your life, your family's life and the lives of everyone else on the road with you are at stake. Take your time and find a trailer that works with your truck, or buy a new truck to match whatever trailer you want. That being said, The 22 series in the regular Minnie lineup is pushing the line with your truck, and may be too much in the end. Sorry...just giving my honest opinion.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

One other thing I learned along the way...look beyond the numbers from the trailer manufacturers. My wife and I both thought the Winnebago trailers were higher quality than others we looked at. But, the gvwr of all the floorplans we wanted were heavier than every other brand we looked at. So, I temporarily gave up on Winnebago and started looking at other " lighter" trailers. But, then I noticed...the dry weights were the same, but the gross weights were lower on others, like the Mallard and the Dutchmen Aerolite. Why was that? They had lower carrying capacities....smaller axles and tires. They were the same trailers, but the Winnebagos were built more beefy and could handle more cargo. The Mallard, I believe, only allowed room for 800 lbs of " cargo" or the axles would be overloaded. 2 propane tanks, a battery and a full tank of fresh water and you were out of capacity....and you don't have food, clothes, beer...anything in the trailer yet. It was just vastly underbuilt because people try to justify getting into a Floorplan they want and want their truck to pull and never realize the risk they are taking.

That realization was really upsetting for me. The fact that salesmen and dealerships knew this and were purposely misleading me and putting my family in danger, or at the very least selling me a trailer that could never carry the things we'd need for a full trip, made me distrust the entire RV business. Bottom line, like I said, is take your time, learn all you can, and find exactly what you want. Then, if the answer is compromise the camper you want or upgrade your truck, you at least have a safe, honest answer you can live with. Good luck. Any other questions you have, please feel free to ask. I'm a massive pain in the butt. I learned a lot along the way to buying my trailer. Happy to help any way I can.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info! I look at the wrong gear ratio when I stated 7,000lbs tow capacity. I researched and will call the chevy dealership in the morning to confirm. But my truck has the 3.42 when I thought it had the 3.08. Which would bump me up to 9,600lb tow capacity according to my owners manual. If that is the case would you still recommend staying away from the 27bhss or upgrade to a bigger TV? We really like the Minnie's both the 24bhs and 27bhs, the build quality seems better than the others we've looked at. I also noticed the difference in more cargo carrying capacity.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I look at the wrong gear ratio when I stated 7,000lbs tow capacity. I researched and will call the chevy dealership in the morning to confirm. But my truck has the 3.42 when I thought it had the 3.08. Which would bump me up to 9,600lb tow capacity according to my owners manual. If that is the case would you still recommend staying away from the 27bhss or upgrade to a bigger TV? We really like the Minnie's both the 24bhs and 27bhs, the build quality seems better than the others we've looked at. I also noticed the difference in more cargo carrying capacity.
You will be cutting it close with the 27bhss, mainly due to payload capacity. Payload is most likely what will put you over. Figure 1000 lbs tongue weight of trailer, 100 lbs for hitch/sway bar, passenger weights plus your weight over 150 lbs, and fuel weight, and you'll most likely be over with no gear in your truck. We looked at the 24bhs, too. Nice trailer, just missing the couch and some floorspace. We have 3 kids and we had to have the extra room of the 27 to be comfortable. If you don't have more than 1 kid, you can possibly get away with the 24. I think when all is said and done, you will be over rating somewhere with the 27bhss. I am as close as I'd be comfortable pulling. And even I will be looking at 250's sooner rather than later. I didn't want to compromise the trailer, though. If I buy a camper, don't feel comfortable in it, and we never use it, I've wasted money and we probably never get another one. I figured get what we wanted, and needed, and upgrade truck if we needed to. I absolutely love my F150. It's the nicest, most comfortable, powerful truck I've ever owned. I may cry when I trade it. But, I will still upgrade to a heavier duty truck for towing. So, I say work out your numbers, maybe even run your truck over CAT scales alone, and know exactly what you are capable of towing, loading on the back axle, etc. Then, you will know. If you get the 27, though, mentally prepare yourself to buy a larger truck after you get it. Or, err on the side of caution and go with the 24. You should be perfectly fine pulling that one. Just make sure you will be happy with less room. Same dilemma we had and we decided to go larger.

I agree with the quality of the Winnebagos. We felt the same way.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I totally agree, we need to get the camper we like and get the tow vehicle to match or we wont be as likely to use it. What do you think about the Grand Design Imagine 2800BH? Those come in at 7,500 GVWR vs 8,800 with the winniebago and the floorplan is identical.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I totally agree, we need to get the camper we like and get the tow vehicle to match or we wont be as likely to use it. What do you think about the Grand Design Imagine 2800BH? Those come in at 7,500 GVWR vs 8,800 with the winniebago and the floorplan is identical.
We looked at the Grand Design, too. I believe Winnebago just bought Grand Design, and that's why they share the same floorplan. Winnebago just started producing it last May. The Grand Design was nice. However, they are the same trailer...same length, height, floorplan, etc. I'd look at a sticker on one in person and verify the unloaded dry weight. I found plenty of models, even a few Winnebago's, that were 500-600 lbs over their brochure weight. It has a few things smaller that will save a few lbs...less LP capacity (40 vs 60 gal), smaller hot water heater (6 gal vs 10 gal), and lower capacity axles and wheels/tires. I would almost guarantee the dry weight of the Grand Design is over 6,000 lbs, though. But, it is a solid trailer.

One thing to keep in mind with the Winnebago....they are built well and have more capacity that you will likely ever put in them. My dry weight is 6500 lbs and gvwr is 8,800 lbs. Fully loaded with food, beer, water, drinks, loaded kitchen, clothes, bedding, bathroom stuff, everything for a 3 day trip.....we were just over 7,000 lbs. That was with no water in the tank. A full fresh wayer tank would add about 400 lbs. So, fully loaded, we'll never be over 8,000 lbs....and the trailer still allows us to carry another 800 lbs before going over the axle ratings. I really like that cushion for safety. Like I said, payload will most likely be your obstacle. If the numbers work, though, it's a great layout. We really do like ours.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This thread has been dead for numerous weeks, and you may have already purchased. Randomly remembered this thread this morning and thought I'd update. Right after my posts, we headed out for a long weekend trip. With my "stout" F150, I was pushed all over the road by 15-20 mph cross winds, felt pushed down hills, was constantly revving high rpms, and even went up hills in north GA at 55mph in 2nd gear. Never felt out of control, but came to the sad realization, even if it was safe, one little thing going wrong when a wind gust blew me slightly, getting pushed downhill, etc, it could get catastrophic quick. I know how to pull a trailer, and while my truck could do it, I knew it wasn't the safest bet for my family.
So, last week, I searched around and bought a leftover 2016 new F250 powerstroke diesel. Buying prior model year gave me a deep discount on a new truck and made it less painful financially. I actually got over 20% off msrp and got $5k more for my '16 F150 than I owed. $120 /mo increase in payment for safety was a good trade-off.
Now, I will never second guess my decision and will never feel unsafe with my tow vehicle/trailer combo. I can pull anything I'd ever want to pull with comfort and peace of mind. I also feel confident pulling the camper anywhere we want to go now. Before, I felt if it was beyond a few hurs or too high of elevation, I didn't want to do it. We bought the camper to use. Now I feel like we can.

Whatever you do, good luck to you. Just wanted to update, letting you know you aren't alone. Sometimes, you just live and learn. I loved my F150. But, I feel much safer now, for sure.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This thread has been dead for numerous weeks, and you may have already purchased. Randomly remembered this thread this morning and thought I'd update. Right after my posts, we headed out for a long weekend trip. With my "stout" F150, I was pushed all over the road by 15-20 mph cross winds, felt pushed down hills, was constantly revving high rpms, and even went up hills in north GA at 55mph in 2nd gear. Never felt out of control, but came to the sad realization, even if it was safe, one little thing going wrong when a wind gust blew me slightly, getting pushed downhill, etc, it could get catastrophic quick. I know how to pull a trailer, and while my truck could do it, I knew it wasn't the safest bet for my family.
So, last week, I searched around and bought a leftover 2016 new F250 powerstroke diesel. Buying prior model year gave me a deep discount on a new truck and made it less painful financially. I actually got over 20% off msrp and got $5k more for my '16 F150 than I owed. $120 /mo increase in payment for safety was a good trade-off.
Now, I will never second guess my decision and will never feel unsafe with my tow vehicle/trailer combo. I can pull anything I'd ever want to pull with comfort and peace of mind. I also feel confident pulling the camper anywhere we want to go now. Before, I felt if it was beyond a few hurs or too high of elevation, I didn't want to do it. We bought the camper to use. Now I feel like we can.

Whatever you do, good luck to you. Just wanted to update, letting you know you aren't alone. Sometimes, you just live and learn. I loved my F150. But, I feel much safer now, for sure.

Thanks for the update! We actually have decided to wait on a camper all together for now.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:01 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

We did that, too....a few times. But, everytime we hit spring or fall, we got the bug and started looking again. It's a lot of fun. We love taking the kids. I can't wait to go again in a few weeks. Really excited to see how much better the new truck pulls the trailer
Old 01-31-2017, 06:36 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations on the new truck Mayberry. You've got a lot of camper and that F-250 diesel should make the pulling a lot more comfortable. You will also already have the truck should you decide to go bigger later on.

Safe travels.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Congratulations on the new truck Mayberry. You've got a lot of camper and that F-250 diesel should make the pulling a lot more comfortable. You will also already have the truck should you decide to go bigger later on.

Safe travels.
Agreed. Just as importantly, besides feeling much safer and comfortable pulling, I no longer have to be a weight nazi about everything we oack for every trip. I have capacity to add firewood, bikes, generator, etc, and don't even have to consider it. That, alone, isnworth the larger truck.

Not to mention, the diesel is really fun to drive. It has some serious power!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

So, I have to take the trailer down to the RV shop in Dacula tomorrow to get a slide topper and Maxxair vent covers installed. So, I picked it up from storage on the way home from work tonight. Wow...what a difference. I knew the larger diesel would pull better, but this is amazing. No see-sawing when going over bumps, no sway when tractor trailers pass, no huge engine revving to slow down and stop/turn. I didn't even use the trailer brake controller on the way home. It honestly was like the trailer wasn't even behind me. I was running over 60 before I knew it. With the F150, it would start feeling unsafe if I got over about 62 mph. I'll still run the trailer at safe speeds, but I'm 100% certain I made the right choice now that I've hooked the trailer up to it. I knew it would be better, but I can't wait to pull this thing through the mountains next week now.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
So, I have to take the trailer down to the RV shop in Dacula tomorrow to get a slide topper and Maxxair vent covers installed. So, I picked it up from storage on the way home from work tonight. Wow...what a difference. I knew the larger diesel would pull better, but this is amazing. No see-sawing when going over bumps, no sway when tractor trailers pass, no huge engine revving to slow down and stop/turn. I didn't even use the trailer brake controller on the way home. It honestly was like the trailer wasn't even behind me. I was running over 60 before I knew it. With the F150, it would start feeling unsafe if I got over about 62 mph. I'll still run the trailer at safe speeds, but I'm 100% certain I made the right choice now that I've hooked the trailer up to it. I knew it would be better, but I can't wait to pull this thing through the mountains next week now.
Mayberry, you didn't mention if you were using a WD hitch and sway control with your F-150. Would be interesting to know what your setup was for that TV.
rocket_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_eagle View Post
Mayberry, you didn't mention if you were using a WD hitch and sway control with your F-150. Would be interesting to know what your setup was for that TV.
I had an Equal-I-Zer WDH set up on both trucks. I had it adjusted on the F 150 after installation and no change. It just felt unstable. I got pushed down hills, was in 2nd gear going up hills, had a lot of lag in the mountains, and it just felt like the trailer was pushing me around way too much. It was as much the weight of the truck as it was the engine/transmission....maybe moreso the weight of the truck. Since I bought the 250 diesel, I haven't looked back. It is 10x more capable for towing and does so in any situation with ease. I drove home from the Great Smoky Mountains last week in 25 mph winds and 40 mph gusts through the mountains. I could fel the wind, but it didn't push me around at all. I would have been going 40 mph and struggling to maintain my lane in the f150. One similarly windy day this winter showed me that. I'm very happy I made the change.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

I have been reading this tread and plan on getting on in the spring. Had a Ram 1500 but didn't want to tow a trailer that close to the max of the truck. Looked for a '16 Ram 2500 but could not find one but did find a 3500 mega cab which I picked up well off sticker. Cant wait till the RV show and next year.
scott1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

They are really nice campers. One piece of advice: if finances allow, no need to wait until the RV shows next year. They sell a lot of inventory, and though they have lower prices at first, they negotiate less, at the RV shows. If you go in this fall/early winter, very few sales take place in November and December. I got my 27bhss brand new for over 30% below msrp. I think, after tax, tag and title, my total purchase price was just under $29k. So sales price was in the $26k range. The msrp on my trailer was over $43k. They are small businesses and want inventory cleared before year end. You'll generally be able to get a better deal near year end, in my experience. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

Greeting Mayberry!

I came across this thread and your thread on the F-150 forum regarding your bunkhouse and the F150/F250 decision. I have a 2019 27BHSS on order and I'm expecting it to be ready for pick up at the beginning of March. I was searching the net wanting to see if others were towing this class of Winnebago with an F150 and I didn't quite find what I was hoping for with your experience.

With that, I share some of your concerns with towing a TT this size with a 1/2 ton F150, but I'm hoping my experience will be a little different. My F150 is a little older, 2011 FX4 3.73 TowMax with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 157" wheelbase. Older means my truck will be a little heavier than the newer generation trucks, and I'm hoping that works in my favor. Also, I've got the Fox 2.0 suspension upgrade and will be running with a 1,200 lb Equalizer WDH. I'm hoping my extended length will eliminate the stability issues you faced. But, payload might be a bigger issue for me, as my max will be less than yours in your previous F150. But, I'll put it on the scales until I'm within my limits and if concerns or limitations still exist, I'll probably do the same as you and upgrade the truck to an F250.

I'm in this preparation stage getting ready for the camper and I have a few questions for you:

1. When you are/were running the trailer at around 7,500 lbs GVW, did you happen to get a hitch weight measurement while on the scale?

2. Also, when you picked it up, did you get the dry hitch weight at the dealer, or was it indicated on the yellow sticker from the manufacturer? I expect the features on your bunkhouse will be similar to mine.

3. Now that your pulling with an F250, the power must be much nicer. But how much of the improved stability would you say comes from the longer length, heavier vehicle weight or increased payload on the F250?

I'm curious because I will have a longer, heavier F150 than you were running and I'm hoping that provides a more stable ride.

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated. We are anxious for the spring to arrive so we can start up our adventures here out west.

Best wishes!
toymon is offline   Reply With Quote