Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Micro Minnie Stove Recall

... received attached letter in today's mail. Mine is a 2023 2108TB. As you can see in the letter, others are affected. ... don't know anything more than what's in the letter.

Edit: .. checked thread after posting and couldn't view attached .pdf file. When I tried to view it, it was saved as a "download' and viewable there. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winnebago TT Recall, Stove (Copy).pdf (867.4 KB, 203 views)
Old 03-09-2024, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't receive this notice.

Download works fine.
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:12 PM   #3
Site Team

It is somewhat strange that the fix for the backlit knobs is replace the circuit board and no longer have backlit knobs.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
It is somewhat strange that the fix for the backlit knobs is replace the circuit board and no longer have backlit knobs.
Agree. The backlit knobs is one of the features we liked. In our 2108TB when you move into the bathroom with the slide closed you brush the stove and it's likely to accidently turn one of the knobs - it's happened several times. Regardless of our situation, it's nice to have a visual indicator of a propane valve that's open.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
Agree. The backlit knobs is one of the features we liked. In our 2108TB when you move into the bathroom with the slide closed you brush the stove and it's likely to accidently turn one of the knobs - it's happened several times. Regardless of our situation, it's nice to have a visual indicator of a propane valve that's open.
I had the exact same problem, so I did this:
Suburban Gas Range Accidentally Turned-on
Eagle5
Old 03-10-2024, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It's basically the "we don't want to fix it so here's the cheapest non-fire-starting solution we can find" approach.

Imagine if the fix for a flat tire was to remove the tire and be left with only three. Hah.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Must be 2023 and later models. Our MM stove backlighting had a separate switch. Liked that because you could leave the blue lights on all night to guide your way for the multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I had the exact same problem, so I did this:
Suburban Gas Range Accidentally Turned-on
Eagle5
Good idea, nice post! ... will likely do the same.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Must be 2023 and later models. Our MM stove backlighting had a separate switch. Liked that because you could leave the blue lights on all night to guide your way for the multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
That is an excellent feature that I would like to have. The production cost would be minimal, but in today's economy it's not going to happen. And being part of a circuit board makes adding a switch unlikely.

"Multiple trips to the bathroom" - we're there. It's an age thing, and has nothing to do with beer consumption.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Looking at this recall notice again, it states that only "certain" trailers are affected, without specifying how to figure out whether your trailer is affected.

My trailer was manufactured in the date range that this recall applies to, but it has a separate button to turn on stove lighting - is that an indicator that this recall does not apply? (Might be why I haven't received the notice?)

Eagle5's idea of installing child-safety-locks on the knobs is a great idea regardless - I've just ordered a (different) set from Amazon.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hard to protect against all possible hazards. My MIL, before she passed, set part of house on fire because she had placed shopping bags on the range and bumped into the stove dials. She claimed the stove was defective. We had just finished building that part of the house for her to live in, and the stove was brand new. But I can visualize this happening in a darkened camper.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

a little more detail (maybe) (and a rant)

bottom line I don't trust our dealers service department, nor do I trust Winnebago to be looking out for anything more than their liability.

Propane valve (manufacturing defect) did get that replaced.

The tire carrier recall was a fiasco; on again off again, dealer can't get us in, wait on parts, not part of recall, now on again. meanwhile we installed aftermarket tire carrier.

during coordination of tire carrier recall with Winnebago asked about the Solar panel flying off recall https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...3V311-2561.PDF told it did not apply to our VIN.

2 years ago? I had complained/inquired with Winnebago about the stove lights being on when the battery was disconnected. Winnebago totally baffled. With coordination through this board believe we've concluded solar will power 12v circuit in daylight even with lithionics battery OFF and "big breaker" thrown (OFF). related? who knows.

Schwintec/Lippert slide failure (un specified manufacturing defect Lippert TSB) no winnebago recall learned about it through this board (Thank you, folks) had the failure hired a mobile tech, winnebago provided a "good faith" compensation after confirming the loppers part # was indeed covered by the TSB.

anyway,...

some additional info on this specific issue,...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...4V054-9318.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...4V054-5165.PDF

good Luck
- steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I still don’t understand the failure, and apparently neither does Winnebago or Surburban.
There are 2 what I could call knob “backlights”; white lights (on our model) and red lights. Only the white is controlled by the switch, I’d call it more of a nightlight. The red indicates gas valve open. (Except when battery off and breaker off, and in sunlight, in which case all the red lights are on. ) NOTE: applies to FLX only. (I presume)

It seems the issue is the lamp overheating? But which lamp(s) is not specified.
Might be the white “nightlight”, leaving it on for long duration maybe?
Might be the reds if the FLX issue mentioned above comes into play?

Still mentioning “overheating” and “propane” and issuing a recall is worrisome.

At the moment I’m inclined to wait and see. Seems less risky that taking it to the dealer who won’t have any idea, but are willing to “help”.

- Steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

SactoSteve, I understand your frustration and fully agree with the competency and avoidance issues that exist when you try and deal with warranty repairs. It's like they're speaking a different language.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

+1 to the above.

The key to coming up with a solution is first understanding the problem. If neither Winnebago nor Suburban can explain what the problem actually is, that does not inspire confidence in their (dealers*) ability to fix it.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:22 PM   #16
Winnebago 22-2306BHS FLEX

Stove top Recall

Just received my recall letter regarding the Cooktop backlight circuit board defect. It is very disappointing that the "fix" is take away the backlights for the stovetop when it was a "Plus" and selling feature on the units. Amazing a company don't mind removing something but not replacing with at least equal to the same feature. Very Disappointed!
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 05:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I got the same letter today and agree with the frustrations, especially since our local repair shop is now camping world, and they appear to be completely remodeling. :/

I guess until I have time to get it to CW, the plan will be to turn off the gas when we are not using the stove. We aren't going to be using the heater on our next trip because the weather looks good.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #18
Micro Traveler

I thought warranty and recall repairs had to be completed with like-quality (or better)? It seems like downgrading the stove knobs to no back-light might be legally actionable? Imagine if Winnie solved the spare tire mount problem by eliminating the spare?
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation agreed on the stove recall

I've got a 2022 Micro Minnie FLX and yes, we got the same notice. I made an appointment with our service provider. I liked the backlight too for the same reason as everyone else. But we don't use the heat or hot water too much (and barely ever use the stove) so generally keep the propane off if we aren't using either. I guess we will just have to keep that up and be mindful...

Truly, I think I would rather have a circuit board fire than a propane explosion...so much for the "fix"
Jojohoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:18 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We had to sell our beloved MM, but my next project was to remove the cooktop altogether, and add in its place, a sliding drawer for more storage. Cap off the propane and buy a dual burner portable induction cooktop, which cost less than a replacement propane cooktop. We had plenty of amp hours capacity. More than a FLX, so power wouldn’t have been an issue. Plus, I’d be able to take it outside to cook on, eliminating the need for an outdoor cooktop, and probably eliminating our heavy Blackstone. Didn’t like the gas cooktop anyway. Always repairing it because it kept shaking itself apart, and it added way too much heat into the camper in summertime. If I ever get cleared for another RV, it won’t have any propane at all. As you might surmise, I really hate propane.

Tags
recall