Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, however I have found all of the topics you post on here to be extremely helpful.

At the current time I am considering ordering a 2005 Winnebago Journey 34H coach w/350hp CAT. I have a few questions that hopefully you all can offer your experiences to help me make this decision a good one.

1. Problems with Coach on Delivery
I have read/heard that many people have a grocery list of problems when they pick up their new motorhome. Please share some of your experiences so I know what to look for if/when I pick up my new Journey. Also, are the problems isolated to the Winnebago line or is this something that most other coach builders have a problem with?

2. Pricing
I was offered a price by my local dealer that I would consider aggressive 25.25% off of list, road ready. All I have to pay is tax and tags. When you factor in inbound freight from Winnebago and prep charges, I figure the price for the coach is over 26% off of list. Interestingly enough I got quotes from 2 other extremely large dealers (you would know the names) on the same ordered coach and they were 2-3% higher. Please share some of your pricing experiences.

3. Servicing
What does everyone do regarding this topic given the fact that you have the coach built by Winnebago, chassis by freightliner, engine by CAT, trans by allison, and various other manufacturers on board?

4. Color Selection
This is just a matter of taste, but we are considering a forest exterior/riviera interior/concert cherry cabinets/stainless appliances. My question is, does anyone out there own this color combo? The riviera interior is recommended by Winnebago for the blue exterior and it seems that you only see it in the Blue coaches. Winnebago recommends the Limestone interior for the forest exterior, yet I do see some with the stone harbor. This is a big purchase and I would hate to get it and not be happy with the combination. Oh, and yes we have seen all the colors in person and have the actual Winnebago color charts but I was just curious to know if some one has this combo.

Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Shawn
Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, however I have found all of the topics you post on here to be extremely helpful.

At the current time I am considering ordering a 2005 Winnebago Journey 34H coach w/350hp CAT. I have a few questions that hopefully you all can offer your experiences to help me make this decision a good one.

1. Problems with Coach on Delivery
I have read/heard that many people have a grocery list of problems when they pick up their new motorhome. Please share some of your experiences so I know what to look for if/when I pick up my new Journey. Also, are the problems isolated to the Winnebago line or is this something that most other coach builders have a problem with?

2. Pricing
I was offered a price by my local dealer that I would consider aggressive 25.25% off of list, road ready. All I have to pay is tax and tags. When you factor in inbound freight from Winnebago and prep charges, I figure the price for the coach is over 26% off of list. Interestingly enough I got quotes from 2 other extremely large dealers (you would know the names) on the same ordered coach and they were 2-3% higher. Please share some of your pricing experiences.

3. Servicing
What does everyone do regarding this topic given the fact that you have the coach built by Winnebago, chassis by freightliner, engine by CAT, trans by allison, and various other manufacturers on board?

4. Color Selection
This is just a matter of taste, but we are considering a forest exterior/riviera interior/concert cherry cabinets/stainless appliances. My question is, does anyone out there own this color combo? The riviera interior is recommended by Winnebago for the blue exterior and it seems that you only see it in the Blue coaches. Winnebago recommends the Limestone interior for the forest exterior, yet I do see some with the stone harbor. This is a big purchase and I would hate to get it and not be happy with the combination. Oh, and yes we have seen all the colors in person and have the actual Winnebago color charts but I was just curious to know if some one has this combo.

Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Shawn
Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NHRAF145:
Hello All,

_1. Problems with Coach on Delivery_
I have read/heard that many people have a grocery list of problems when they pick up their new motorhome. Please share some of your experiences so I know what to look for if/when I pick up my new Journey. Also, are the problems isolated to the Winnebago line or is this something that most other coach builders have a problem with? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I ordered our Itasca Meridian from the factory. There were a few little things wrong:Air Horn solenoid,needed a screw in fan, molding cut too long near door - no biggie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
_2. Pricing _
I was offered a price by my local dealer that I would consider aggressive 25.25% off of list, road ready. All I have to pay is tax and tags. When you factor in inbound freight from Winnebago and prep charges, I figure the price for the coach is over 26% off of list. Interestingly enough I got quotes from 2 other extremely large dealers (you would know the names) on the same ordered coach and they were 2-3% higher. Please share some of your pricing experiences. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Please price the same coach from an Itasca dealer. We did and got fullbody paint, electric awnings, and a few other things at a zero dollar cost. Worth looking into.
_3. Servicing_
What does everyone do regarding this topic given the fact that you have the coach built by Winnebago, chassis by freightliner, engine by CAT, trans by allison, and various other manufacturers on board? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dealer services the coach, Freightliner takes care of engine, trans and chassis. Not complicated at all.

_4. Color Selection_
This is just a matter of taste, but we are considering a forest exterior/riviera interior/concert cherry cabinets/stainless appliances. My question is, does anyone out there own this color combo? The riviera interior is recommended by Winnebago for the blue exterior and it seems that you only see it in the Blue coaches. Winnebago recommends the Limestone interior for the forest exterior, yet I do see some with the stone harbor. This is a big purchase and I would hate to get it and not be happy with the combination. Oh, and yes we have seen all the colors in person and have the actual Winnebago color charts but I was just curious to know if some one has this combo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you can get full body paint at little or no extra charge, you are going to kick yourself later for not getting it. Before deciding on color, check Itasca. Not sure if that deal is stll valid, but worth a call.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Kiwi, thats all very good information.

Incidentally, we are ordering the full body paint. forest.

Aren't the Itasca's more expensive?

Shawn
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NHRAF145:
Thanks Kiwi, thats all very good information.

Incidentally, we are ordering the full body paint. forest.

Aren't the Itasca's more expensive?

Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Our Itasca with all the extras was less than the price I got on the Journey. Both dealers are local (within 100 miles) and are the closest ones to us. I think Winnebago Industries is doing some special marketing with the Itasca line to pump up the brand image.

Winnebago already has a great image. Under the skin they are both identical coaches. You are going to love the 350 Cat.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If I were to go for a Winnie product again (and for me the jury is still out on that decision) I'd definitely go for a Meridian over a Journey. Get the dealer to provide you with a list of the diffences The Meridian has a lot of features that are either options or not available on the Journey. When I saw the list at an Itasca dealer (didn't know the dealer existed when we bought the Journey) I kind of kicked myself. The Itasca is more $$ (for my model in 2004 it was $2500 Cdn more) but the dealer said they end up eating the difference to be competitive. Frankly, I thought the diffeces (items like cedar lined closet, remote door unlooking, ultra leather) were worth the higher price.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The only draw back I see with the 34H is the bed length is only 75 inches long, otherwise
a nice unit.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #8

Shawn,

Before you jump into the fire, read these forums closely. I have suggested this many times from our own experiences, but there are 1000's of great like new coaches on the market. For the money you'll spend on the new coach that you are considering, you can buy a like new coach and even a higher quality coach. There is a transition period that you will have to go through, that can be eliminated, making your RVing experience much more enjoyable. And enjoying our RV is what we all want.

There are at least 100 RV sites where new and like new coaches are being offered and the reasons for their sale vary, but the most intertaining are the ones with extremely low miles because of health reasons. There are also those who got into the RV arena and found out that this is not what they expected or what they can tolerate. If you read the forums, toleration has it limitations.

You can e-mail me off site and I'll send you a list of quality sites where quality coaches are available.

Tomcat F15
"Why buy new, when you can save $thousands$ and buy like new and a higher quality product!"
Old 01-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank You all fo rthe good info.

Shawn
Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Kiwi pretty much covered it. I also stepped up to the Meridian at zero dollar cost even though the difference in MSRP's was close to $16,000. Every rig I've bought, whether new or used has had some sort of punchlist for the dealer to take care of. Our Meridian has a few items that need attention, but nothing major.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Don't be afraid to name dealers here. As long as it's not unfounded bashing, that is. Someone here has probably bought from the dealer you are considering, and may be able to help.

Tim.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:38 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Shawn,

You have made a great choice, but like some others have said, price out the Meridian and see how it comes out. Although there are some good buys out there in used, and some say that the first owner has worked out all the problems, I'll tell you that that is not the case.

I've bought 3 new motorhomes, and the present one was a 16 month old one-owner. I have had more problems to address on this one than on all 3 of the previous ones combined. I love the rig, and was willing to hang in there, but there were definitely problems that were not disclosed either by the dealer, or the owner (who I spoke to before and after purchase).

At least with a new rig, you will be buying the latest improvements and appliances, will have a full warranty, and will know the full history of the unit. I'd say go for it.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:53 AM   #13

Life is full of all kinds of trials and tribulations, whether it be new or used.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #14
rg
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 Journey 36". We had one problem with the water filter but was fixed. I have seen and talked to other brand of coach owners that wish they had bought Winnebago. This is our third Winnebago and we looked at a ton of other brands. I think the other brands replace quality with options.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Shawn - have a look at your private messages.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We are also looking at the 34ft Journey & Meridian. We asked about the colors and we told those are just recommendations, and there is no problem using our own choices.

2005 Itasca Meridian 34H
aneitzert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Don, thnak you very much!

Bob and Kathy, If we go the route of the Journey it will be the Forest/Riviera/Cherry/stainless. Thank you for your input, it is very valuable.

Shawn
Old 01-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I am considering the same thing, but if I order the full body paint on a Winnie, what do we do about the paint when you have to either caulk or place etabond tape on the roof edges. I was hoping that Winnebago would reengineer this issue before I purchased one. I am sure you could continue going back and repainting, but at sometime it will become harder to match the paint. How are others addressing this issue?

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Well, you all talked me into it!

Here's what I ordered:
2005 Itasca meridian 34h
Graphite Full Body Paint
Silver Sage Green Interior
Z-Package
Window Awnings
MultiDisc CD Changer
Two Tray Slideout
Dining Table and 4 Chairs
2KW Inverter
Lounge Chair, Ultra Leather
Protective Mask
Satellite Radio
Rear Stereo System
Double Door Refrigerator
Resteasy Multi Position Lounge Ultra Leather
Satellite Dish, Automatic
Washer Dryer Combo

The combination of the ultra leather, and the nicer selection of interior and exterior trim helped make our decision.

And you were all correct the list price difference was 10k, yet I only paid 3k more for this specific configuration (relative to the comparable Journey). Which is right around 28% off of list price. Now all we have to do is wait.

Thanks for all of the good advice.

Shawn
Old 01-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I would have left out the CD changer. When we arrived in Florida with 55 CDs we started to moan about the ones we left behind. Now that we have 4300 songs on our iPod (every CD we have - loaded them when we went back north for Xmas) we no longer carry CDs. We find that setting the FM broadcast unit on the iPod lets us listen via the surround sound, the outside radio or the radio in the bedroom - and can do all 3 at the same time - just have to tune in to 87.9 which is a clear frequency here. Mind you, if you don't have an iPod, then I guess you need the changer.

I wish you good luck with your purchase.

Don