Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 AM   #261
blubugger

We had some earlier "excitement" with a bike rack mounted on the stock 2106ds bumper [it failed, causing the bumper to sag away at the top, almost pulling the spare and bikes off the rear]. We caught it in time, had the bumper repaired, removed all except the spare.
Can you supply photos for your solution? Our TT has very little rear frame metal to work with so I am very interested in any fix. Thanks and good travels.

2018 2106ds pulled by Explorer Sport.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #262
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubugger View Post
We had some earlier "excitement" with a bike rack mounted on the stock 2106ds bumper [it failed, causing the bumper to sag away at the top, almost pulling the spare and bikes off the rear]. We caught it in time, had the bumper repaired, removed all except the spare.
Can you supply photos for your solution? Our TT has very little rear frame metal to work with so I am very interested in any fix. Thanks and good travels.

2018 2106ds pulled by Explorer Sport.
I had a custom carrier tray build with extensions that bolted to the frame. There was also a 3” rise from those extensions to the tray platform so that the ground clearance was acceptable. Will attach pictures of prefab stage and finished product. The rear bumper is too flimsy to attach anything to it including the spare tire but that’s what the factory did.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #263
Winnebago Camper

These brackets will strengthen the bumper enough to attach a bike to your bumper but not much beyond that. Source is amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C03E0AF-1EFE-4E60-B71A-291A3015C9AF.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	172741  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #264
blubugger

Thanks for the quick reply! Again...safe travels!

CMS
Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #265
Winnebago Camper

I am not at my Micro Minnie 2106fbs right now where the manuals are located. But I have a question that I'll bet someone knows. When I get ready to replace the 12v lead acid batteries, what type of battery could I use with the current factory converter/charger. AGM, GEL, or Lithium? Would use for boondocking and have a 100w solar panel for off grid charging. Thanks for the help on this.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #266
2019 Minnie+ 26RBSS

LP quick connect size

I am trying to order LP powered generator for my 2020 26RBSS Micro Mini and have Ben looking for hours to find out what size the LP quick connect is. I can order a 1/4” or 3/8 inch hose but I can’t find which size it is. I’m not experienced enough in that area to just look at it. Does anyone know?
Old 02-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #267
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

You may have to wait till you purchase the LP powered generator, then take the propane hose that is included with the generator and go to a RV parts store or even a store like Ace Hardware and compare the quick disconnect female end to the LP hoses in the store.
Are you trying to run the generator from the propane connection for stoves or grills or from the trailer propane tank?
Old 02-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #268
Winnebago Watcher

Howdy folks,
I bought a 2019 2108FBS in September and got a few nights in it before shutting down for the winter. It's my third trailer, so I'm pretty comfortable with the systems, but it's the first I plan on primarily dry camping in. I'll be using it around 50/50 for leisure and work, the latter being skydiving instruction and videography at various small airports. I had originally thought about a major upgrade to the electrical to allow for linited microwave and Keurig use, but on seeing the cost of a pure sine wave 2000 watt inverter, I'm scaling my 120V needs back to just needing to charge laptop and camera batteries and occasionally watch TV at night. During early and late season, the folks who hire me should provide an electrical drop, but I want to be prepared for the worst case in the event they don't. Worst case for these purposes means 3 days and 3 nights with overnight lows in mid 20s (F) and daytime highs as low as mid 50s, i.e. the furnace will be working.

Questions:
Do I need 6v batteries to support that, or should a pair of group 24 deep cycles suffice?

Where/how are folks installing inverters? I'm thinking a 600 watt exeltech should be plenty, and am assuming there will be a way to turn it off and on as needed, so there's no interference when plugged in.

What's the most cost effective solar addition? Rooftop/portable? The trailer is prewired, but my understanding is they charge a premium for their brand name, and offbrand versions of comparable quality can be used for around half the price with the addition of a simple plug-in adaptor.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #269
Winnebago Master

I can only answer you this--I think you need a way to turn off the inverter or it will put some drain on your batteries even when you aren't using any 120 volt power.

The simplest way of wiring both an inverter and solar is right at the battery. You'd then use your cord to plug in the inverter, ensuring it was never in use when plugged into power or when idle. (Edit: You'd need some way of disconnecting the charging component of the trailer--maybe I haven't thought this through!) I'd suspect that you could rig up some cables/plugs coming out of the battery case that could be used for both inverter and solar.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #270
Winnebago Owner

Hello! - To do much of anything on batteries you'll need at least 4 x 6V batteries to run a coffee maker and have some juice left. if you can buy a 2300 RYOBI instead they are good value for the money and quiet enough to charge your batteries, watch TV and make coffee.

As for the solar prewiring in the 2108's, it ain't much, it's just a wire from the side of the trailer to the battery posts, and the factory installed plug FYI has positive and negative inverted from most standard solar panel plugs... so check that out before plugin anything into it and flip it if needed.

There is no solar charge wire that I could find on the roof for a Solar panel install from the factory, it also means drilling and possibly voiding the rubber roof warranty. I decided not to do that and use a 100W portable panel from Costco (pic below)

I ran a Ryobi on our trips for the longest time, then went to Honda EU2200, then went to Predator 3500, in hindsight Ryobi was the best for our setup. cheap, light and reliable,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOLAR.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	172838  
Old 02-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #271
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
There is no solar charge wire that I could find on the roof for a Solar panel install from the factory, it also means drilling and possibly voiding the rubber roof warranty. I decided not to do that and use a 100W portable panel from Costco (pic below)
For the Micro Minnies they started roof top on the 2020 model year.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #272
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
Hello! - To do much of anything on batteries you'll need at least 4 x 6V batteries to run a coffee maker and have some juice left. if you can buy a 2300 RYOBI instead they are good value for the money and quiet enough to charge your batteries, watch TV and make coffee.

As for the solar prewiring in the 2108's, it ain't much, it's just a wire from the side of the trailer to the battery posts, and the factory installed plug FYI has positive and negative inverted from most standard solar panel plugs... so check that out before plugin anything into it and flip it if needed.

I ran a Ryobi on our trips for the longest time, then went to Honda EU2200, then went to Predator 3500, in hindsight Ryobi was the best for our setup. cheap, light and reliable,
Thanks, I knew I'd have to do some drilling to mount solar on the roof, just not clear on the benefits/drawbacks of rooftop vs portable. Your storage solution looks clean. I'll probably just do that.

I have a Yamaha 2400 that I carry for AC use in the hot months, and can just use that for microwave use, or a coffee maker when I don't want to mess with a French press. I just want an inverter for watching TV at night and charging camera batteries/phones/laptop throughout the day. Unfortunately, I looked last night and found the converter is under the fridge, which means I would have to remove the underbelly to get wiring over to the TV side of the trailer, plus it's not obvious how to access the void in which I'd like to put power (appears cabinet was prefabbed prior to install with no accessible fasteners). Alternately, I can just put the inverter in the passthrough and one inverted receptacle on the bed storage walls, then run an extension cord for watching TV on inverted power, but my wife expressed extreme dislike for this option. Solution still TBD, preferably sometime in the next 4 weeks, when my season officially starts.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #273
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livendive View Post
Thanks, I knew I'd have to do some drilling to mount solar on the roof, just not clear on the benefits/drawbacks of rooftop vs portable. Your storage solution looks clean. I'll probably just do that.

I have a Yamaha 2400 that I carry for AC use in the hot months, and can just use that for microwave use, or a coffee maker when I don't want to mess with a French press. I just want an inverter for watching TV at night and charging camera batteries/phones/laptop throughout the day. Unfortunately, I looked last night and found the converter is under the fridge, which means I would have to remove the underbelly to get wiring over to the TV side of the trailer, plus it's not obvious how to access the void in which I'd like to put power (appears cabinet was prefabbed prior to install with no accessible fasteners). Alternately, I can just put the inverter in the passthrough and one inverted receptacle on the bed storage walls, then run an extension cord for watching TV on inverted power, but my wife expressed extreme dislike for this option. Solution still TBD, preferably sometime in the next 4 weeks, when my season officially starts.
I mounted a Dewalt 140W MSW inverter under the TV, this allows us to use the stock Jensen 28" 120V TV using the 12V receptacle above the TV. We used this setup for a couple years, I've since added a power pod with additional 12V receptacles and USB ports on the shelf under the TV but continue to used the inverter to power the TV. I tied the power pod into the wires that power the slide. The slide wires run through the bottom of the same cabinet and are 10 AWG fused for 20 amps. By using this circuit, we can control the power pod by using the on/off switch for the slide.

We also use a 1000W PSW Wagan inverter that resides in the pass through with our 100 AH lithium battery. I added a transfer switch to the converter below the refrigerator and wired the inverter to that so we can use the main AC outlets when needed while dry camping without needing to run our generator. I also installed a remote switch for the inverter just inside the door.

In addition, we've installed 280W of solar on the roof and a port on the side of our Micro Minnie for our 120W portable panel. 2016 Micros didn't come pre-wired for solar.

Below are pictures of our original and current inverter setup at the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190122_175550.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	172864   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_164319.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	172865  

Old 02-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #274
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

I use a Goal Zero Yeti 1000(https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-...power-station/) for short term A/C power needs off grid for Toaster, Microware, Keirig, TV. USB charging. It will runs all these items and a electric blanket (lowest setting) for 3 days without recharging. I can be recharged with small generator or solar. Yes it is expensive ($800 on sale) but it is very portable 12"x15"x10" 1500 watt 3000 Surge output. Turn it on, plug in appliances, make toast, coffee, breakfast sandwich, turn it off. Cooling fans only run during high output. If needed I will charge with our cheap 2000 watt generator for about 2-3 hours.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #275
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
I use a Goal Zero Yeti 1000(https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-...power-station/) for short term A/C power needs off grid for Toaster, Microware, Keirig, TV. USB charging. .
It's too bad you can't have something like that run in parallel to a 1500+ watt generator just to provide the surge power needed for Air Conditioning startup.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #276
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
I use a Goal Zero Yeti 1000(https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-...power-station/) for short term A/C power needs off grid for Toaster, Microware, Keirig, TV. USB charging..
Costco has a version for $999.

https://www.costco.com/goal-zero-yet...PVZRAtFCTeeNH0
Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 AM   #277
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2020 2108ds. Same use you describe. I have Go Power 120 portable folding panel, comes in nice protective case. 600 W inverter. Two 6 volt golf cart batts wired in series to get 12 V. They last a long time. Runs tv, dish receiver, awning motor, water pump, some LED lights, ceiling fan, stove fan, USB charging for phone and laptop. Maybe not all at the same time though. Basically all interior needs but coffee maker and toaster and microwave, AC, electric heater

Get an inverter with a switch so you don't have to go outside to turn off inverter at night. Top panel installation does not work if you park in the shade, and it will not turn to follow best sun angle. Portable unit works great, easy set up. The trailer is wired but not solar ready. You have to hook up an inverter and run wires to the battery if you don't put panel on roof. I used 10 gauge for this. My wiring connection for the trailer is in the lower outside storage hole. So you have to run extension into inside and also the remote switch to shut off inverter. I went through the floor to connect to batteries and to bring inverted power into entertainment center area. There is no DC hookup in my camper.

With gas water heater and furnace you are all set to dry camp.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #278
Winnebago Camper

I tied the power pod into the wires that power the slide.

"power pod?" Sounds like a laundry gel pack. What is the device to which you refer, what does it do, and where does it appear in your posted photos? Intrigued by your setup, but not clear exactly what it is. A related inquiry: the slide wires in the lower cabinet are exposed and accessible? How did you tie into them?
Old 02-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #279
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladvoc8 View Post
I tied the power pod into the wires that power the slide.

"power pod?" Sounds like a laundry gel pack. What is the device to which you refer, what does it do, and where does it appear in your posted photos? Intrigued by your setup, but not clear exactly what it is. A related inquiry: the slide wires in the lower cabinet are exposed and accessible? How did you tie into them?
caladvoc8, depending on what vintage of Micro you have, your slide wiring and lower cabinet arrangement may be different than ours. We have a 2016 2106DS. I believe the slide type was changed to an in wall mechanism around 2018 verses the bottom slide mechanism that ours has. The lower cabinet arrangement was also changed at some point after 2016.

Below are additional pictures. I added a second power pod this past summer. Each pod holds 3 three receptacles (12V, USB etc.) which can be arranged or changed out to suit your needs. I tied into the slide wiring just behind the sofa kick plate and ran 10 AWG from there back to the power pods. One advantage I had in running the wires for the pods was that I'm able to remove the USB powered fireplace I added last winter, this gave me easy access to the dead space inside of the cabinet.

The first picture shows the 2 power pods currently installed on top of the counter, each has is own 10 amp fuse. The second picture shows where I tied into the slide power under the sofa (red wire nuts). The third picture is looking into the hole in the lower cabinet that the fire place sets in. The fourth picture is looking down into the dead space inside the cabinet where the back of the outside shower and city fill are located. You can also see the black and white power wires and gray signal wire for the slide at the very bottom. I couldn't find any pictures of the actual wiring for the power pods, sorry. But all I did, was bring the 10 AWG wires back into the bottom of the cabinet in the same area as the slide wires and secured the 10 AWG wires to the inside wall of the cabinet and drilled two 1/2" holes through the counter top to bring the wires through under the pods. I then wired and mounted the pods. That's all there was to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190918_182256.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	172893   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190204_174456.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	172894  

Name:	20190203_120336.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	172895   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_160854.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	172896  

Old 02-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #280
Winnebago Camper

Advice For Routing Propane Line to Interior Space Heater?

I am considering purchase of Camco Wave propane space heater. Any advice to offer from any of you clever handymen out there in Winnie Land for method to route a supply line from main propane supply to trailer’s interior? High pressure or low pressure source? What connectors recommended? Thanks!
Closed Thread