Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #161
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoverTx View Post
I’ll pack it best I can for sure. Had I known the lousy mileage that it would get, I would have purchased a truck. Now I have to wait till my lease is up. ☹️

You will get lousy mileage with a truck as well. Diesel will be better but with a gasser an average of 10 mpg while towing is pretty much the norm. It was what we got with our old trailer with a 2001 Explorer, old trailer with a 2015 F-150 and the FBS 2106 with the F-150. It isn't the weight so much as that big sail of the trailer front that makes the vehicle work harder.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #162
Winnebago Master

Yes, I 100% agree with you, it is the frontal area and not the weight that contributes most to the low gas mileage. This was very noticeable when we moved up to a larger, heavier trailer with similar frontal area. With a powerful and heavy truck I still average about 10 mpg. On the highway without the Minnie I get a solid 21 mpg.

Dover (name ?) I notice that we must not live too far apart. I have a very good friend with a 2019 2108DS who lives in Mansfield, also pretty close. Maybe we could get together sometime for breakfast.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #163
Winnebago Owner

Old_Engineer & BigBird I was complaining about the actually millage that I get while NOT towing...... 14.5 mpg average around the Grapevine, Texas. Driving within 15 miles some freeway.... passive aggressive (nicely aggressive, not an A**hole) just to stay alive.

About 21 mpg freeway. I have about 8000 miles on it. Not close enough to the sticker: Up to 21 city / 27 highway. My other 4 Subaru's came within 2 mpg of the Sticker guesstimate.

Towing the Minnie, 8-10 mpg, closer to 8, but dependent of terrain. That was from Lakeview, Ohio to Grapevine, Texas starting on January 11th. 1100 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salem_IL.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	171093  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #164
Winnebago Owner

BigBird, Just call me Mike, Dover is not a name. I'm Irish (Dover, Ireland)
Yes I would be open to a breakfast. Just send me a message. It's just me and my Lab, though I'm helping my daughter's family so just need to plan it.

I will be out to Loyd Park the 27th of February till the 4th of March. Our 1st outing. The Escapees RVers Booot Camp is the 1st-3rd of March. I really don't need it, I just wanted to build connections.

It wasn't snowing when I left I was hoping I would miss it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ReadyForHome.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	171094  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #165
Winnie-Wise

That is low for no towing. I don't remember what the mileage was on our Outback. We didn't own it very long before Subaru bought it back. I get 20 mpg in suburban driving and 26 - 27 on the hwy if I stick to 65 mph when not towing with my truck.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #166
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I agree. That is why it is my last Subaru, back to a Truck.... which I wanted just to be able to tow more.

How has your Minnie been treating you?
Old 02-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #167
Winnebago Owner

I installed a RVLock for the Door. Which I love!!!

And installed a RV Tank Lock. Once someone helped themselves to my tanks.

Soon I'll install the dual battery RV Lock Box...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Door Lock.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	171112   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank old.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	171113  

Name:	tank base.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	171114   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank nut.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	171115  

Name:	tank lock.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	171116  
Old 02-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #168
Winnebago Master

Mike those upgrades really look good.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #169
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, simple things for now. I have a couple more planned. Spice racks, then as time permits, TV needs moved. Factory centered it. While it looks nice, it needs raised a few inches, so it would clear dinette seat back. Then dual battery box. But really need to get on road to see what it really needs...
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #170
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
Hello all!!

I posted this in the heating cooling section, but hoping this thread will help since it is more specific.

2016 Micro Minnie 2106FBS

Issue: Atwood 6 gallon tankless water heater Model OD-5001 does not work 75% of the time during each camping trip

I am fed up with the tankless water heater ruining every trip I take with the Micro Minnie. It is so finnicky. It seems like the first day of every trip, I spend it researching how to get the tankless water heat to work. Well, I am tired of it ruining our trips.

So I contacted atwood for help and opened up a case. They said it has a recall for a scalding water issue and they can not help us any further until it is installed. I was instructed to call one of Atwood's authorized dealers but earliest anyone can work on my Minnie is August. Thanks Atwood. So I have a non authorized dealer look at it and the service department said "with these units, you are peeing in the wind throwing time and money at it. I would advise you to rip this terribly engineered unit out and put something more reliable in there. I have seen hundreds of these tankless units and they are all crap."

Question? Has anyone replaced their 6 gallon units for the Micro and will you suggest an economical and dependable one? How much did it cost? Will you include model # please?

Thank you for the info

Update on the tankless water heater situation.....

I ended up installing a Suburban 6 gallon tank heater. Gone are the days of wondering if the tankless heater will work. It cost close to $750 installed but worth every penny.

Now one to the delaminating cabinet doors on the edges...….
Old 03-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #171
blubugger

As all of us 2106 owners can attest to...fit and finish of these units is great, documentation non-existence. I have been doing simple improvements to the electrical, like a digital meter indication of the house battery, the addition of a 12volt socket for use of battery powered appliances and the like. The access to the fresh water tank drain petcock and addition of a 2" receiver on the bumper for bicycle rack transport. Since I am getting up in age, anything that makes tasks like winterizing and day to day operation of the trailer ...easier, are welcome.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #172
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoverTx View Post
Thanks, simple things for now. I have a couple more planned. Spice racks, then as time permits, TV needs moved. Factory centered it. While it looks nice, it needs raised a few inches, so it would clear dinette seat back. Then dual battery box. But really need to get on road to see what it really needs...
I enjoy hearing about your 2108TB I bought a 2108DS last year and found the only weak spot in the trailer for me is bed access. (It is better than many others) I recently discovered the TB model and am seriously debating whether trading is worth the financial hit!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #173
blubugger

Wink Towing a Micro-Minnie 2106ds with a 2015 Explorer Sport

Hello...anyone out there have experiences, advice, warnings about trailering with this kind of setup? Exporer with 6 speed auto, 365hp. In the few times I have taken this rig out, works as explained....no problems. How about mountain and elevation passes and downhill [6% grade]. Any words of wisdom such as using the Manual [M] setting on the tranny when downhill? Keep the rpms up around 3000 to 3500?
Thanks
Blubugger
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #174
Winnebago Owner

What year is your Explorer? My 2017 V6 Explorer w/o Ecoboost pulls our 1700RD just fine. Just don't get in a hurry and you can go most anywhere.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #175
blubugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
What year is your Explorer? My 2017 V6 Explorer w/o Ecoboost pulls our 1700RD just fine. Just don't get in a hurry and you can go most anywhere.
Thanks...mine is a 2015 Sport [365hp, 6speed]....and I plan to use the Tow button on the left....should help especially going down steep grades....

Mike
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #176
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubugger View Post
Hello...anyone out there have experiences, advice, warnings about trailering with this kind of setup? Exporer with 6 speed auto, 365hp. In the few times I have taken this rig out, works as explained....no problems. How about mountain and elevation passes and downhill [6% grade]. Any words of wisdom such as using the Manual [M] setting on the tranny when downhill? Keep the rpms up around 3000 to 3500?
Thanks
Blubugger

You should have a payload sticker on the driver's side door pillar. That number minus your weight, all other passenger weight, all cargo/luggage and 100 lbs for a weight distributing hitch will tell you how much weight you have left to carry the trailer tongue weight. To get an estimate of the maximum loaded trailer weight is you can tow safely divide the remaining payload by .13 (13%). I also use a 15% tongue weight calculation for a worst case.

Note that dry trailer weights mean nothing and should not be used to size your trailer. Most people load a trailer with around 1500 lbs, if not more, of stuff. Stuff includes battery weight, full LP tank and personal items. Also keep in mind the dealers won't run the numbers and will tell you you can tow anything which is true though it might not be safely.

If you do not have the class III hitch package you will be limited to 2K lbs. The same goes if you do not have the Ecoboost engine. Even with the package I think you will find you can tow a lot less than you expect. The maximum tow rating is for a flat tow or something with a light tongue like a boat. You will likely run out of payload before coming close to the maximum tow rating.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #177
T4R
Winnebago Watcher

Mike I have a 2019 2108DS and I am looking to put a slide topper on. Did you install the one on yours? Which brand and model? Thx.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #178
blubugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
You should have a payload sticker on the driver's side door pillar. That number minus your weight, all other passenger weight, all cargo/luggage and 100 lbs for a weight distributing hitch will tell you how much weight you have left to carry the trailer tongue weight. To get an estimate of the maximum loaded trailer weight is you can tow safely divide the remaining payload by .13 (13%). I also use a 15% tongue weight calculation for a worst case.

Note that dry trailer weights mean nothing and should not be used to size your trailer. Most people load a trailer with around 1500 lbs, if not more, of stuff. Stuff includes battery weight, full LP tank and personal items. Also keep in mind the dealers won't run the numbers and will tell you you can tow anything which is true though it might not be safely.

If you do not have the class III hitch package you will be limited to 2K lbs. The same goes if you do not have the Ecoboost engine. Even with the package I think you will find you can tow a lot less than you expect. The maximum tow rating is for a flat tow or something with a light tongue like a boat. You will likely run out of payload before coming close to the maximum tow rating.
I assume you are refering to rollup tarp/awning over the slideout forgive me, I am new to some RV jargon.
But I have not addressed a slide topper as yet. Probably will go with solar/generator system first [boondocking, you know].
One note though, using the Explorer we drove though mountainous hills and dale...no significant problem with swaying or equilizer hitch....And using the tow/haul option it twas a pleasure to charge up hills and not over use the brakes downhill [and Arizona does have spectacular vistas in the Rim Country]....Got around 11mpg overall.
Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #179
Winnebago Camper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmc View Post
Thank you, GramaBabby, for starting this Micro Minnie 1706FB thread. Interested in how your 4-Runner is working out as tow vehicle. Waiting to take possession of my trailer soon and plan to tow with '16 Toyota Highlander with tow package. Hoping for good performance.

Many questions re: trailer due to minimal documentation, but trust experience will bring answers.
I see it’s been a few years since this post. Curious as to your experience pulling w/the Highlander. We have a 2018 Highlander and will be pulling our 2019 micro Minnie 2106DS w/dry weight of 3780lbs. (Our max tow is 5000 lbs). Advice appreciated!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #180
Micro Minnie 2106DS Owner

We are picking up our red 2106DS Tuesday and couldn’t be more excited! We are upgrading from a high wall pop up that we loved but are really looking forward to less setup. I have a mattress question. Ours has the folding full size mattress. Can we put a mattress topper on it or will it not fold with a topper? Any other suggestions are appreciated!
Closed Thread