Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Micro Minnie Owner

My wife and I have got back into camping and purchased a Micro Minnie. This is our first non-popup camper and we are feeling our way. One question I have is what besides Air, microwave and TV will require AC power. I am trying to figure out the best way to go for boondock camping, which we plan on doing quite a bit of, for power, solar or generator. I know I can't run the Air on solar but am assuming I can run at least the TV with an invertor and of course keep my battery(s) charged. I know, dumb newbie question but I have to ask.😁
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Boater,
Welcome! I think you might be the first Micro Minnie.
The one thing I think you will struggle with is that the Micro only has an electric, tank-less water heater.
Many RVs have a 6 gallon tank that can heat off electric or propane, and then stay hot for hours. Since the tank-less is an instant-hot design you probably won't have hot water without electric service.

As you said, an inverter will help get some systems online, but you may want to research swapping the 12v battery for two 6v. You should be able to more than double your amp hours.

Also, this Winnebago forum is mostly motor home folks. You may get more traction over in the trailer forum.

Enjoy!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

TDI-Minnie, the Tank-less water heater that WBGO is using are gas.
boater1217 if you can turn the inverter off when not using it to save power.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks
Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Boater! For boondocking, we rely on recharging our 2x group 24 batteries every 3rd day using a Honda 2000 gen. We don't watch TV, and I've swapped out the 921 bulbs with LEDs. With the refer on gas, we get by pretty well. When the cash appears, I'll be installing 4x 100w solar, that works out to be a very expensive, but silent battery charger. Might add a 1000-1500w inverter too to keep the razor and camera batteries charged. We have used our two 2000w hondas (in parallel) to run our AC but only twice in the midwest when it was hot and muggy. You might want to upgrade your converter-charger to a three stage Progressive Dynamics unit; It will charge your batts faster and won't overcharge them when you are on shore power. I let the batts drop to 12.3vdc, then just start one honda and plug it into the trailer. At 12.3v, the converter-charger puts out 14.3vdc, enough to get us back to 12.6v in about 2 hours (that's with our 2-12v batteries).
We traded in our 2010 20FBS Sunnybrook Harmony (similar floorplan to your 18'er) for a 2012 Harmony 21 FBS (with walk-around queen bed). Enjoy yours!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Oh, the DW can hit the microwave while I'm running one gen to charge the batts. The Eco setting on the Honda will pick up the rpms while the micro is running, then drop back to idle to continue charging the batts. I wouldn't plan on using an inverter to run the micro, just not enough batteries on our small trailers.
Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
TDI-Minnie, the Tank-less water heater that WBGO is using are gas.
Cool... my bad.
Learn something every day. :-)
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Cruzbill which progressive model did you use?
Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My unit came with this from the factory. Mighty Mini All-In-One System AC/DC Power Distribution Panel and Inteli-Power Converter
You could upgrade the electronics here. 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics
My two group 24 batteries are now more than 3 years old, I mostly keep the trailer plugged into shore power, and I never have to add water.
So far, so good!