Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2023, 02:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leveling Systems for a 2019 Navion 24D

2019 Navion 24D. I just spent all day today searching the three different forums to which I belong seeking answers. Didn't learn much except everyone favors hydraulic over electric. Other than that I read a lot of worthless gobbledygook i.e., opinions that had little to do with the gentleman's question. Geez, some folks obviously love to rack up posts. LOL
OK, here's my dilemma. You see what rig I have. I am an old time RVer, started in 1967, almost 83 years old and have been a DP fellow since 2002, but as you see we have severely downsized. Made a few short shakedown trips to get accustomed to this new (to us) rig. It has levelmate, which is fine for seeing how off-level I am. But playing with those yellow Lego blocks under the tires is not good for my worn out body. I want to pull in, hit a button, and let the RV do its thing while I getup a ready for Happy Hour. Sorry, call me lazy, but I am there to enjoy myself, not work up a sweat.
So, here is my question, and I'd really like it answered by guys who have a Winnie V/N on a Sprinter chassis, and either bought it with or had levelers installed aftermarket. Basically, I want to hear from actual experience, not baseless opinions. Been to all the websites, realize they are expensive $5-6+K, but for me they are worth it. I refuse to to crawl around on the ground playing with Lego blocks. Thanks Guys and Semper Fi, Jim
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Addendum

Update.
Am currently looking at the Bigfoot . Locally installed $6,500, says it adds 200# to the rig
HWH Installed at factory in Moscow, IA fr $6,000, says it weighs 138#
Old 07-15-2023, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I know you've said not wanting info from folks who have not done it on that RV, but there may be a couple points that are common for all RV that you overlook?
When adding aftermarket jacks, one of the big issues is how and where to put the jacks and each type will have different needs on that.
Ground clearance is a big issue as well as where or how to get room for them to retract or go up into some open space above.
A jack that is 8 inches long when retracted will need that 8 inches to be stored, so a big question can become where to put that 8 inches of space and still get enough ground clearance. And that has to be a combo of which jacks to buy as well as where it has to come up into the floor at times!
It needs to be solid to frame but also have space to go down as well as UP!
When looking at hydraulic types, the pump space can be a killer as well!
On class A we get lots more options because both height off ground and interior compartments are bigger.
We can't put a 14 inch tube under a 12 inch ground clearance RV if we can't find a place to let it stick up through the floor into some unused space.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 08:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Semper Fi!
1960-1984
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 08:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I know you've said not wanting info from folks who have not done it on that RV, but there may be a couple points that are common for all RV that you overlook?
When adding aftermarket jacks, one of the big issues is how and where to put the jacks and each type will have different needs on that.
Ground clearance is a big issue as well as where or how to get room for them to retract or go up into some open space above.
A jack that is 8 inches long when retracted will need that 8 inches to be stored, so a big question can become where to put that 8 inches of space and still get enough ground clearance. And that has to be a combo of which jacks to buy as well as where it has to come up into the floor at times!
It needs to be solid to frame but also have space to go down as well as UP!
When looking at hydraulic types, the pump space can be a killer as well!
On class A we get lots more options because both height off ground and interior compartments are bigger.
We can't put a 14 inch tube under a 12 inch ground clearance RV if we can't find a place to let it stick up through the floor into some unused space.
Richard I read all that Gobbledygook in my research in fact I am almost certain it was one of your posts that I read that explained that. I understand it and will consider that prior to making a decisions which will be an "informed" decision if I can hear from those who has "been there, done that."
Anyway, thank you for your reply. Semper Fi, Jim
Old 07-15-2023, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Semper Fi!
1960-1984
And a hearty Semper Fi to you as well my brother.
1958-1993
Old 07-15-2023, 09:56 AM   #7
Site Team

At the risk of upsetting you more than the other posts and posters you've encountered previously... have you looked for this info on the Sprinter Forum?

Here's a direct link to their Sprint RV forums and threads
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...-conversions.4

Always a good place to get nothing but Sprinter Van info.

FYI - You have to register to perform a search. I did and there were many posts about the install of specific systems: Equilizer, BigFoot, HWH etc.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Jim -

We have a 2023 View 24D with the Equalizer hydraulic system (from the factory). While the system works very well, the front jacks sit VERY low. We have to be very careful on our driveway, as they tend to scrape. Otherwise, very happy with them.

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
At the risk of upsetting you more than the other posts and posters you've encountered previously... have you looked for this info on the Sprinter Forum?

Here's a direct link to their Sprint RV forums and threads
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...-conversions.4

Always a good place to get nothing but Sprinter Van info.

FYI - You have to register to perform a search. I did and there were many posts about the install of specific systems: Equilizer, BigFoot, HWH etc.
Thank you sir, Hmm, how come I dd not know bout this forum; it's great!!
Old 07-15-2023, 10:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Jim -

We have a 2023 View 24D with the Equalizer hydraulic system (from the factory). While the system works very well, the front jacks sit VERY low. We have to be very careful on our driveway, as they tend to scrape. Otherwise, very happy with them.

Mickey
Thanks Mickey, that's the kind of replies I like.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:30 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Jim, I had the factory Equalizers on my 2020 View 24D as well. Equalizer, Bigfoot, and HWH are the 3 main players for the 2019 View. Equalizer has the option of a bluetooth controller so you can control from your phone as well. That is a nice touch. The only bad part of the levelers is that the automatic leveling works poorly. I know HWH and Equalizer has a problem with the levelers raising the front wheels off the ground (when it is not necessary. I don't know about bigfoot). So I always leveled them manually which was fine. I couldn't imagine having a View/Navion without the levelers as they were a must have with us.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Jim, I had the factory Equalizers on my 2020 View 24D as well. Equalizer, Bigfoot, and HWH are the 3 main players for the 2019 View. Equalizer has the option of a bluetooth controller so you can control from your phone as well. That is a nice touch. The only bad part of the levelers is that the automatic leveling works poorly. I know HWH and Equalizer has a problem with the levelers raising the front wheels off the ground (when it is not necessary. I don't know about bigfoot). So I always leveled them manually which was fine. I couldn't imagine having a View/Navion without the levelers as they were a must have with us.
Thank you sir, that's the kind of experience I like to read. Have not researched Equalizer as detailed as HWH and Big Foot. Will do so,and again thank you!!
Jim
Old 07-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Jim -

One other item I didn't mention is the factory tech support for Equalizer. I had a problem on our previous coach with the same system and they were Johnny-on-the-spot. They have my loyalty.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
I went through the same research process as you for our 2020 D plan View. My thoughts below.

For the Sprinter RV’s I think the Bigfoot or Equalizers are the best options, and I would have been happy with either. The Equalizers are what the factory installs when you get that option and they have the Bluetooth you can use with your phone.

I went with the Bigfoots and they have performed well. Also when I’ve had to reach out to their parts or tech support department a real person answers the phone and post sale customer service has been outstanding.

As mentioned in a post above, ground clearance on these Sprinter’s can be an issue no matter which brand you pick. I haven’t scraped them yet, but you have to be selective on slopes when getting gas and groceries.

Also an issue that seems prevalent on all brands, and it was this way on my prior RV with another system, the computer often over compensates when getting you level and you end up higher than necessary. Most the time I use the manual buttons, and get their quicker and lower to the ground.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd22 View Post
Jim,

Also an issue that seems prevalent on all brands, and it was this way on my prior RV with another system, the computer often over compensates when getting you level and you end up higher than necessary. Most the time I use the manual buttons, and get their quicker and lower to the ground.
Ditto the above, and what's nice about the Equalizer system is its bluetooth capability. With the app installed on your phone, you can stand outside and watch and control everything, making whatever adjustments you might want. Pretty neat!
Old 07-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Update

Spoke at length today with HWH, and I think I will go with them. Am planning a month long trip to get out of the SWFL heat index during August. So our planned route will take us to Moscow and have them do the install. Have owned several DP with HWH and never ever had an issue, Stopped there in 2017 so decided to have them do a check, all was good and charged me zip. What I did like is their jacks are 32# lighter than Bg foot. As we all know too well N/V's do not have a lot of OCC weight.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

EQ, Big Foot, HWH, and LTI all seem to do the jobase on everyone's input. So choices are based on personal things. In my case, my bride has a family reunion on 8/5 in Tipton IA, which happens to be 9 miles from Moscow. Called and have an appt at HWH for 8/7. As I have said earlier my experience of driving DPs for years with HWH and dealing with the company had them at the top of my research list. Second was Big Foot since there is a dealer 100 miles from here in SWFL. Cost is always important, but for a guy who is an Economist by education and hobby, I know all too well "you get what you pay for." HWH is less expensive than Big Foot for my model. Things like bluetooth do not interest someone who is of the age where he still has problems with his iPhone and has to call his grandson. LOL Anyway, I will post results when they are installed. Happy Motoring gang! Semper Fi, Jim
Old 07-19-2023, 04:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2020 chassis Navion. Love my equalizer levelers. They’ve been flawless. Came on the rig. No issues, level checked many times, always right on.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #19
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

SgtB
In post#16 you bring up the problem of limited OCC. How much OCC capacity are you expecting to loose once the HWH system is installed?
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtB View Post
Spoke at length today with HWH, and I think I will go with them. Am planning a month long trip to get out of the SWFL heat index during August. So our planned route will take us to Moscow and have them do the install. Have owned several DP with HWH and never ever had an issue, Stopped there in 2017 so decided to have them do a check, all was good and charged me zip. What I did like is their jacks are 32# lighter than Bg foot. As we all know too well N/V's do not have a lot of OCC weight.
I have a 2016 24J I want Hyd Jacks. I owned a very successful hydraulic. Company many years ago. My questions for them is why single acting spring return? This gives no lubrication on the extended rods, springs break, bulky. Double acting cannot cost that much more I for one would pay. What is the rod diameter, stroke, material, Tank capacity. I think I would prefer manual over automatic and remote if possible. Yes I’m going to add hyd leveling have not started a search yet. Problems are I’m in Canada BC where, who to install.

Tags
leveling, ems