Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2023, 06:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question 2002 Itasca Sunrise-access to rear of hot water tank

We are needing to replace the hotwater check valve on our 2002 Itasca Sunrise. How can we gain access the back of the hot water tank to replace the valve?
ohmygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know that RV but one of the first questions will be WHICH Sunrise you have as there are lots ofdifferent models!

Name:   sunrise.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  26.2 KB
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Question 2002 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I don't know that RV but one of the first questions will be WHICH Sunrise you have as there are lots ofdifferent models!
Attachment 186667

it is a
IPF32V
Old 07-18-2023, 12:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

IPF32V
Old 07-18-2023, 01:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay! got it here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...v_wh_plumb.pdf

Looks like the heater is in the driver's side rear corner?

I've not done that but maybe somebody who has will be along to give better ideas?
Looks like a bear to sort how to get to the back without pulling the whole unit and that is iffy due to pipe connections?

Front view
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	186674

And back where all the fun begins?
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	186675
Old 07-19-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

the hot water tank is on the passenger side behind the passenger seat on the outside. There is an access panel on the outside but can not see anywhere to access the back of the hot water tank. was hoping not to have to take the hotwater tank completely out to replace the check valve......
Old 07-19-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sorry about that ! I had the drawing backwards in my mind as I'm more used to them posting with front to right!
Careless looking got me!
Old 07-23-2023, 10:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On our 2005 Adventurer 33V access to back of water heater is through a pop off oval plastic panel underneath the motor home directly under the area of the water heater. At first it was hard to see because of so much road grime. Hopefully you have the same set up.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've done it!

I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer, 32v. (currently for sale)
I removed the water pump and all piping from the board they are mounted on. I know at some point I removed the board also, but may not have been necessary to access the rear of the water heater. Using a flashlight and hand held mirror, I was able to get a wrench back there to get at the check valve. Very tedious.

I'll have to check for that pop-off panel underneath. That would have been great.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2000 Suncruiser 32V. Our check valve is indeed at the back toward the middle of the tank. It is where the outlet line is. I too did not want to pull the entire tank assembly. Who was the unthoughtful person who designed that installation?

I was able to squeeze far enough into the very small compartment to the point where with a mirror and flashlight I could see the valve; I could also feel it by grasping the outlet line and following it back to the valve. I attempted to get a wrench on it (by feel) but just couldn't get enough leverage to do anything. So, I enlisted the assistance of a lady friend who is very much smaller than me and who has some mechanical abilities - as well as hand/arm strength. Thankfully, she was able to get the old one out and the replacement in. All has been well since. It was still a difficult task. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

It does seem logical to put some type of access to get to things but then a little thought may help.
If they put a hole to get to every piece which may fail after 20-25 years, how many holes would it take?
While it does make a problem when the check valve fails, I don't see it as a thing they should change and add expense to all the RV they build as I have had lots of RV for lots of years and never needed to get to the check valve, so I'm glad my RV were just a touch cheaper!
We had a problem with a washer this week and it would have been handy if they had put a hole in the thing so I didn't have to take it apart. But my wife would not have bought a washer with a hole in the front or side, so I had to do it the hard way!

Sorry to disagree but life is just not that simple!

Tags
itasca, tank, water