Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

bluetooth transmitter for TV?

Looking for suggestions/ideas on what works for other folks to connect headphones to the TV.
The reason for this is that our TV in the RV is right where my wife preps the meals and that often makes it really too loud for her. I have the bluetooth headphones and they seem fine but I'm not having any luck with finding the right transmitter "dongle" to work with either the home TV or the RV.

I find very limited supply to actual get hands on with to try or ask questions but I ordered on and can return as it fails to work on the TV.

I feel it is working as I can connect with it on the computer and phone but not on either TV. Not knowing any better, I have to assume it involves the coding/decoding, etc. rather than me failing to understand the very poor instructions or simple failure of product.

I have audio out connections for 3.5 mm jack or RCA. Also USB plugs for powering.

Anybody got a suggestion for a transmitter that works for them on TV. I really don't see much potential for using a combined transmit/receive but I would be open to one---if it would work!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

This is the one I use. However, there are a few others on Amazon that also have lots of positive feedback and are cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Dua..._t1_B016NIOOH2

Note: When you plug the mini-phone jack in the TV it automatically will mute the TV-Speakers and this is what you probably want. (Don't use the RCA jacks.)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Richard,
Here is what I use, and I love it!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 01-02-2021, 02:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Richard,
I use the one below. If you connect it with the included optic cable and then connect via Bluetooth, you're provided with separate volume control.

When DW is sleeping, I mute the TV speaker with my remote but still have audio via Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Old 01-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My bluetooth experience has been limited to just setting it for cars, so it sounds like you guys might be better at this. And I certainly am not getting the results I need, so perhaps a few questions?

On setting up phones in the cars we have a screen on both car and phone and match the number that it provides. That seems okay.

Bu how do we go when bluetooth from a transmitter with no screen to a headphones/speakers, etc. with no screen nor keyboard to input any number of we had one?

If setting one up and I have six or more bluetooth sources showing up, how do we force the headphones to connect only to the transmitter, rather than something else like my car or the neighbor's?

With the simple one I have, the LED changes to show the transmitter is now paired but it is not to the headphones, so where?
Old 01-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Hi Richard,

There could be several issues. If it’s showing that it’s already paired with “something”, do you have a cell phone nearby that it may have paired with?

These Bluetooth signals don’t go very far, so I doubt it’s paired with a neighbor’s device.

In my RV TV, I do have to manually go into the Audio settings, and tell the TV what output to use. It doesn’t happen automatically, though I imagine some TV’s do.
I select “auto detect”, which tells the TV that next time there is a mini jack plugged into the TV, it will mute the TV sound, and output it through the jack, where the Bluetooth transmitter dongle is connected.

I pair my TV to the head unit to output the sound through the coach’s speakers, it it has never asked for a code, but I understand that some devices do.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yes, finding what to expect seems to be a major thing with new electronics as we certainly get the bare minimum of instructions!
Pairing phones on cars, one car asks for you to match the number by inputting it on the phone. Trying to see what might work on the RV, when I plug this transmitter in, I get to a point where the radio displays a number but that leaves me dead as the transmitter nor headphones have keypads. In trying to pair the phone to the RV, it seems to do nothing which might/ might not mean the radio has a problem---- or not!
My desktop computer has about four USB on the back and two on the front but they do different things when plugging the transmitter in back versus front. However if I want to download pictures from my camera, both back and front seem to work the same!
Probably somewhere, there is instruction but not shared with us!

So my problem seems to be that I would like to keep the headphones and find a transmitter that works but since they don't want to both work at the same time on the TV, it seems the option that makes sense is to drop it off for free return and just simply keep ordering and trying until I find the magic combo?
Old 01-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Keep in mind that your TV must have an earphone jack and preferably a USB port to power the Bluetooth transmitter. If no USB port, you can use a plug in the wall charging device. When you make your purchase, look for a transmitter that says "low latency". That helps a bit with the lip sync issue. Same with the headphones. Sometimes you can by a set of headphones and the transmitter and they are specified "low latency".
Old 01-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Roku

This probably isn't the solution for you, but I've installed two Roku Ultras in my coach, and with that particular model there is a headphone out jack on the remote, which works great. And as a bonus, in our bedroom, I plug the remote into our built-in Stereo receiver and we get the TV audio on the speakers above our bed. Well, TV audio that is going through the Roku. We use YoutubeTV, so it works for TV with that. If you're using the TV tuner for TV, the Roku audio out won't work.
lonekazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

try this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Looking for suggestions/ideas on what works for other folks to connect headphones to the TV.
The reason for this is that our TV in the RV is right where my wife preps the meals and that often makes it really too loud for her. I have the bluetooth headphones and they seem fine but I'm not having any luck with finding the right transmitter "dongle" to work with either the home TV or the RV.

I find very limited supply to actual get hands on with to try or ask questions but I ordered on and can return as it fails to work on the TV.

I feel it is working as I can connect with it on the computer and phone but not on either TV. Not knowing any better, I have to assume it involves the coding/decoding, etc. rather than me failing to understand the very poor instructions or simple failure of product.

I have audio out connections for 3.5 mm jack or RCA. Also USB plugs for powering.

Anybody got a suggestion for a transmitter that works for them on TV. I really don't see much potential for using a combined transmit/receive but I would be open to one---if it would work!
Unless there's something really weird about your TV, this should work:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Here is my beef with Bluetooth: There is enough lag (latency) in the sound to be distracting when the moving lips on the TV screen are out of sync with the sound of the words.

I use headphones for a different reason. If my wife want to sleep while I watch TV I just use a long stereo headphone extension wire between the TV and my headphones. My coach has slides on both sides but the distance between the TV and my seated position is not too great. Most modern TVs have a 1/8" stereo headphone jack which mutes the internal speakers. When I'm not using headphones I use the jack for a sound bar under the TV which gives me far better sound than the TV's internal speakers.

If the convenience of wireless headphones is more important than having the sound slightly out-of-sync with the lips then I can recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GFL4ZHK which I have connected to my home stereo. It transmits a high-quality Bluetooth signal, works with my Sony noise-canceling headphones and produces a signal that covers both floors of my house, so it should certainly cover your movements in an RV.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post

Are you sure that your TV doesn't already have Bluetooth sound output capability built in? Go into it's menu under sound settings and see if you can choose Bluetooth for sound output instead of it's speakers.

I received Bluetooth headphones as a Christmas gift. I checked our home TV's sound settings and found out it offered Bluetooth output. I turned this feature on in the TV settings, put the headphones into pairing mode. The headphones paired with the TV and the TV speakers quit and the headphones immediately picked up the TV sound. It works real well ... i.e. so I can watch a movie in the room while the wife reads.

I
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Most smart TV's (and a few that are not smart) do have Bluetooth transmit capability, but there are still a lot that don't.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

There are many small 1/8” stereo jack to Bluetooth transmitter devices (Amazon, less than $20). But lip sync is a factor... be sure to read the tech specs and reviews. There is a nomenclature that indicates it has minimum digital processing delay/ meets lip sync standards.

Obviously a bit more expensive, but I took the opportunity to change out my 9 yr heavy old TVs (main & bedroom) with new (lite weight!) Roku TVs $200-300 depending on screen size.. More and more programming is available through streaming and not only are more and more RV parks upping their WiFi capacity, but we’ve encountered two so far that have decommissioned their aging cable distribution and ALL what was cable channels have been converted/ put on only WiFi to TVs. RVers without WiFi capable TVs have to rent a ‘WiFi’ box... which then requires you to get behind your TV (not easy!) to find/ plug in the ‘WiFi converter box output to the TV.
Seemingly got a tad off your question/ topic describing these new RV ‘All WiFi ‘ TV distribution systems... but back to why I selected specifically Roku TVs... Roku TVs have built-in Bluetooth that links to any smartphone. The Roku app allows you to use your smartphone to turn tv on/off, adjust volume, change ‘channel’/ search for streaming... pretty much everything a normal remote does... indeed your phone screen looks like a simplified tv remote. Finally, to your specific question... on Roku TVs the TV audio is also sent to your smartphone and you can plug in your normal phone wired or Bluetooth earbuds the listen to the TV, audio, change thei volume, mute,... do everything you would normally do on a phone call/ streaming music... plus walk around the RV, even outside the RV! DW usually goes to bed earlier than I and with the Roku app I watch the other TV or come to bed later and watch the bedroom TV in bed with ear buds w/o any issues!
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
There are many small 1/8” stereo jack to Bluetooth transmitter devices (Amazon, less than $20). But lip sync is a factor... be sure to read the tech specs and reviews. There is a nomenclature that indicates it has minimum digital processing delay/ meets lip sync standards.

Obviously a bit more expensive, but I took the opportunity to change out my 9 yr heavy old TVs (main & bedroom) with new (lite weight!) Roku TVs $200-300 depending on screen size.. More and more programming is available through streaming and not only are more and more RV parks upping their WiFi capacity, but we’ve encountered two so far that have decommissioned their aging cable distribution and ALL what was cable channels have been converted/ put on only WiFi to TVs. RVers without WiFi capable TVs have to rent a ‘WiFi’ box... which then requires you to get behind your TV (not easy!) to find/ plug in the ‘WiFi converter box output to the TV.
Seemingly got a tad off your question/ topic describing these new RV ‘All WiFi ‘ TV distribution systems... but back to why I selected specifically Roku TVs... Roku TVs have built-in Bluetooth that links to any smartphone. The Roku app allows you to use your smartphone to turn tv on/off, adjust volume, change ‘channel’/ search for streaming... pretty much everything a normal remote does... indeed your phone screen looks like a simplified tv remote. Finally, to your specific question... on Roku TVs the TV audio is also sent to your smartphone and you can plug in your normal phone wired or Bluetooth earbuds the listen to the TV, audio, change thei volume, mute,... do everything you would normally do on a phone call/ streaming music... plus walk around the RV, even outside the RV! DW usually goes to bed earlier than I and with the Roku app I watch the other TV or come to bed later and watch the bedroom TV in bed with ear buds w/o any issues!
I certainly don't mind you filling in some details as things are moving way too fast for anybody to keep it all in mind but that's where things get funny!
We did "upgrade" to a Roku TV but than it turned out so bad that when we replaced it, we went to a TV which was not "smart" but did work while the smart one quit after nineteen days!!! It was nineteen days of constant tech support that mostly insists I check the cables until finally the noise got fatal and the screen no longer lit up!

Now that I have been looking at the bluetooth transmitter and headphones and playing with the various places where I can plug the transmitter in, I find it works in almost all the places, I had not really meant to use them!

I find it reasonably easy to set for use with the TV in the RV, so will keep both items at the price. I can "think" I will finally work out how to use them on the dash radio in the RV---maybe (with more head scratching!)
But the place where I wanted them is for the house TV and they don't work there at all!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Final report? YEAH!
I finally got the right combo plugged into the right locations. I'm glad you folks all threw in the info, even though I did not get around to ordering any of the suggested items, it did prompt me to keep trying different ways to set up the two items I had on hand.
Digging through "the Box" I found a cord to plug the 3.5 mm plug into and convert to RCA jacks. I have neither 3.5mm jack or RCA on the TV in the house but I do have RCA jacks on the back of the Dish box and when I finally got it set right, it works great and very easy as well as flexible.
I can leave the transmitter plugged into USB with the small cord run to the adapter to RCA, pair them by pushing the button on the headset for about 7 seconds and then we have all the options for different volumes, muting , etc. that we can think we might ever use.
I guess I was just supposed to know that???
I really do wish they had mentioned a few more small points in the directions, though.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Glad you got that sorted out!

Couple of things came to mind for others wishing to doing this sort of thing.
My OEM TV’s have a sync function in the audio settings, that enables some adjustment to the lip syncing issues when using Bluetooth.

Also, our OEM Pioneer head unit, can pick up the TV’s signal by using a Bluetooth transmitter at the TV, plugged into the mini jack.

When I upgraded to another Pioneer head unit that provides Apple CarPlay, I lost that ability, so I had to add a Bluetooth receiver at the head unit, plugged into the Auxiliary input in order to once again listen to the TV through the built-in overhead speakers.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Well dang Richard, I wish I had thought of that. I have been plugged into the Dish box for 10 years or more. I have the TV Link by Phonax and my hearing aids pair to the TV Link connected to Dish.

My only problem is that the 3.5 mm on the tv will mute the speaker sound if anything is plugged into it, and the Blue Ray Dvd only has HDMI or COAX out and COAX out will also mute the speaker function on the HDMI line.

Some how I missed you were using DISH. Oh, now I know, you didn't mention it before. For shame for shame!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote