Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Victron 500A Smart Shunt Review - Will Prowse

Will Prowse has reviewed the Victron 500A Smart Shunt. I have no experience with it but like its functionality and price as compared to other Victron monitoring products:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Team

I have one and outside of the Bluetooth being too weak to be useable on the phone app inside my RV think it’s a good option. I have a Victron solar controller and the Bluetooth is strong enough to reach my phone anywhere inside the RV.

I added a Victron Bluetooth dongle to the SmartShunt and this fixed that shortcoming completely.

Maybe it’s just my device or just my RV but that’s been my experience.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Another great video from him. Victron does have some nice options, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I have one and outside of the Bluetooth being too weak to be useable on the phone app inside my RV think it’s a good option. I have a Victron solar controller and the Bluetooth is strong enough to reach my phone anywhere inside the RV.

I added a Victron Bluetooth dongle to the SmartShunt and this fixed that shortcoming completely.

Maybe it’s just my device or just my RV but that’s been my experience.
The built in bluetooth in the shunt is weak, the bluetooth in the Victron SmartSolar controllers are even worse. One site said that the external dongles work much better, and use a different, more powerful bluetooth standard. How do you deal with "dueling" bluetooths, after adding it to the shunt?
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
The built in bluetooth in the shunt is weak, the bluetooth in the Victron SmartSolar controllers are even worse. One site said that the external dongles work much better, and use a different, more powerful bluetooth standard. How do you deal with "dueling" bluetooths, after adding it to the shunt?
The SmartSolar is super strong Bluetooth. No issues.

As for dualing BTs... it's not a problem. When I open the app I see 3-devices. The SmartSolar, the Dongle and the SmartShunt. I just don't choose the SmartShunt. If I do it will try to load and not make it or take a long time. The SmartSolar and the Dongle load from anywhere inside the RV or outside in proximity.

Tags
view