Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mystery leak????

today I noticed a small oil leak under the rear of my coach (2001 Winnie JourneyDL). It is on the drivers side rear. There is a coil with two electric fans on the drivers side, I don't know what that serves, is that for the transmission? Anyway, just behind it there is a cylinder with hoses connected to it. It looks like either the hose is leaking or the connection where the hose is connected to this cylinder. The cylinder is not very big around but it is about 30" in length. Can anyone help me with this? Can someone tell me where I can download service manuals to research what this is?

Best and Happy New Year to all!!!!
Cat 3126 on Freightliner Chassis
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunmech View Post
today I noticed a small oil leak under the rear of my coach (2001 Winnie JourneyDL). It is on the drivers side rear. There is a coil with two electric fans on the drivers side, I don't know what that serves, is that for the transmission? Anyway, just behind it there is a cylinder with hoses connected to it. It looks like either the hose is leaking or the connection where the hose is connected to this cylinder. The cylinder is not very big around but it is about 30" in length. Can anyone help me with this? Can someone tell me where I can download service manuals to research what this is?

Ok, lots of information there, but none specific enough to help. Unless, there’s Somebody with your exact same unit that knows what you’re referring to. But it doesn’t help me. If you can upload some photos, that would really help.

For example, you say you have an “oil leak” at the rear of the coach.
How far to the rear?
What color is the fluid?

These types of elements helps...photos, even more. Thanks! Looking forward to helping you...
Old 12-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for responding to my problem. I said that the device I was speaking of was next to the transmission cooler. I found out that the transmission cooler is actually the dash A/C condenser coil. This device is located directly behind that coil mounted to the frame. I cannot determine the color of the fluid because it seems like a slow leak that has accumulated dirt around it so it is difficult to determine. Today I will clean it off with brake cleaner and see if I can determine what type of fluid it is. I will also send a picture!

Thanks again
Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Found a way to fix it. There were several steel fittings that I tightened and the leak has stopped. Here are the pictures of this device. Still don't know what it is but it looked like red hydraulic fluid. cid:921A2ECA-8EAF-444F-BE63-8DA6157980C2
Old 12-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

How do I post a picture?
Old 12-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The cylinder is presumably part of the HWH hydraulic mechanism for your left rear slideout.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
How do I post a picture?
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3847963
Old 12-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That is exactly what it is. I was under the coach and found another one just beneath the front slide out. Anyway, I was fortunate to tighten all of the fittings and stopped the leak. Thanks to everyone that assisted in this small delima.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you have it figured ---for this round! But then I might throw some info your way for the future cases that are sure to come along.
You asked about manuals and there is a ton of info n the part which Winnebago considers their portion but far less on the chassis or what the truck portion has.
But how to find the info?
If you feel it is a group that would not be found on the normal truck, it may be in the RV part so start here, perhaps?
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

By working your way down through the various sections and sometimes guessing which way to go, you can often get down to drawings of your exact RV and see how things might be put together!

The group built after 2010 has some really great info but on your age group, just drawings that show the parts can be a big help at times.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Tags
leak