Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help! Mystery Leak

We are preparing to seal our roof cap with Eteranbond tape. However I have developed a leak that I can not identify the source. The carpet in front of the passenger seat is wet, all the way up under the dash. Not so much further back than half way the seat, so I am guessing the source is toward the front. Threre are no obvious leaks down the side walls by the window or above the dash, so I am looking for suggestions.
Thanks for your thoughts.
SeaRay
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Are you stationary or is it leaking when traveling?
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It is stationary.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had a leak that was similar, It was on the drivers side. It ended up being the front cap, I had no noticeable traces of water I could follow to find the leak. I took it to the dealer and they found it, they did a pressure test, re-sealed the front cap and no more leaks

Mattpro
Mattpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It may be your windshield seal around the metal frame. The frames tend to rust around the windshield mount. The only way to fix is to have the windshield removed, have the metal frame repaired, and then reinstall the windshield. The repair is not as bad as it sounds.

Look for any bulges around the windshield gasket. May be a telltale sign.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had a leaking windshield fan. Seriously. The left WS fan leaked water from the motor housing and it dripped down the fan blades to the instrument panel covering. The cause was a roof or windshield/window seam leak (static and moving) during rain. I had already Eternabonded the fwd roof cap seam (and the side edges). So I caulked (self-leveling) every protrusion/screw/hole on the fwd part of the roof. Also used clear caulk (good grade) along the windshield seam and the fwd side window seams.

But the residual water remained in the fan motor housing and continued to slowly drip, so I unscrewed the fan housing and let the fan hang by its wires. I tilted and shook the fan to get the water out & was amazed at how much was in the housing. Yes the fan works (for now). The water is visible on the pic below, on the lower rite fan blade.

Anyway, water leak origins are tough to find. I think (& hope) I stopped my leaks. But I recommend Eternabond.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the screw caulking. If possible I will back the screw out a few threads and squirt caulk down in then retighten then a bead over it. Not sure if it is the best practice but it worked on my old 77 winnie.
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Ray, I would check the front cap clearance lights. One of mine leaked and the water path ended a few feet from the source. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Gary CA about the clearance lights. Mine leaked pretty badly 'til I caulked them. The rubber backing got really dried out & I had to replace those gaskets, which I got from Lichtsinn.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 12-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Well, it rained today, outside & inside. So I'll have to recheck my clearance lights as well as all other protrusions & seams. The leaks are at the left fan (again) and the right overhead speaker. Of course determining the leak source(s) will be the key. To be continued.........

Thudman

Old 12-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Don't know where you are or the weather conditions, but I had a similar problem with a 1999 adventurer, turned out to be a clogged drain tube from A/C

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to gordons1
I would be suspicious of the mounting area of your air horn or any roof lights..make sure they are adequately caulked.
gordons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

FWIW If you are parked in very cold weather and the inside of the Cap is not properly insulated, condensation can build on the inside of the Cap. I have had this condensation freeze and continuously accumulate until the outside weather warms up and allow thawing, maybe days later! Obviously you would need outside temperatures low enough to cool the Cap and humidity inside the coach. It presents as a leak from the outside of the Cap.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Another thing to check is the rubber ducky radio antenna on the roof. I has a pesky leak (dripped in behind the TV enclosure) and finally stopped it by caulking the antenna. It is a two part device which unscrews from the base. Mine was loose so I caulked the seam between the radial and the base and stopped that leak.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I had a similar leak and the way I found it was to take a piece of plastic and tape and seal off a section at a time starting just lower than where the leak shows up. In my case it was where the trim covering the joining of the roof to the sidewall right at where the trim makes a downward curve at the front was leaking. It took a lot of time and effort to methodicaly eliminate each and every section all the way up and on the roof. Good luck. I forgot to say once you get a section taped off, use the water hose to hose everything else good.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I have basement air, so no plugged lines from roof air. As stated previously, EVERY item on fwd roof was caulked generously with self leveling caulk, and I sealed (w/clear caulk) W/S & window seams. Guess I'll have to look at all those items one more time.

Thudman

Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Hooray!!!
We finished the eternabond job and I caulked around the front cap clearance lights. Hope that clears most of the leaks. Still not sure about the front passenger area but will continue to look.
We found the best way to apply the eternabond tape was to lay it in the u track first and slowly pull away the protective cover while using a putty knife to lay the tape flat against the back fo the u track, then follow with a seam roller to smooth out the upper part of the tape that went on the cap.
Thanks for all the input. As always you guys are a great resource.
SeaRay
Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Hooray X 2 !!!

Looks like I may have found my leak(s).....the fwd cap clearance lights. I resealed two suspicious spots on two lights in between rain storms. Looks like it's holding so far. No rain inside.

SeaRay, you're correct in placing the Eternabond in the U channel & peeling from the back. Worked for me. Good stuff, which I also learned from this forum.

Thudman

Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

SeaRay,
Go to Wally World in the hardware dept, buy a couple of rolls of 3M "Blue" 1/2 inch masking tape. Tape both sides of the windshield rubber, inside on glass, and outside on body, you will probably find your leak. If that stops your leak, have a mobile glass company seal the windshiels weatherstrip inside and outside all way around, problem solved. Let me know what you find out, Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote