Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On my dash above the instruments I have two lights. One (to the left) is red and is the "jacks down" light, but I also have a dark dome shaped light right in the middle that has never come on (probably a good thing). I can't find any reference to it in any of the manuals, or in the Winnie wiring diagrams.

I'm assuming it's some kind of warning light, but can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my dash above the instruments I have two lights. One (to the left) is red and is the "jacks down" light, but I also have a dark dome shaped light right in the middle that has never come on (probably a good thing). I can't find any reference to it in any of the manuals, or in the Winnie wiring diagrams.

I'm assuming it's some kind of warning light, but can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I asked the dealer after staring at mine for 6 months. It's the receiver for steering wheel mounted radio remote control here.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That's really wierd design considering the radio is only an extra foot away. The credit card sized remote doesn't need it, so I can't understand why the steering wheel remote would need its own special receiver.

Anyway, mystery apparently solved. Thanks.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a similar whatever directly below my leveler light on my dash with no mention of it in the manuals. I had a similar thing on my previous rig which was the light that told me my exterior steps were still out. If that is what this one is than it obviously is not working.Will have to ask dealer next time I have unit in for whatever.
jimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so I can't understand why the steering wheel remote would need its own special receiver. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, the transmitters are somewhat directional, and I think that is to accomodate the wheel being "pointed" away from the radio...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:

I'm assuming it's some kind of warning light, but can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it look like this?

When I posted the question, I was told it was for the radio, though I'm surprised the sensor isn't just built into the radio.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
Does it look like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the dark green colored dome-shaped one. I'm suprised as well that the radio couldn't "see" the infrared remote from such a small distance, but I guess it is quite directional as rgrstndgby (I'd love to know what that means) suggests.

When I relooked at the wiring diagrams, it does show a remote IR sensor on a lead.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes, Richard, Thats the same creature as on my 2006 Sightseer. That's weird they would put it there but what the hey!!
jimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess it is quite directional as rgrstndgby (I'd love to know what that means) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mystery, just a holdover from a previous job, flying for a Geophysical Exploration Company, it often occured that I would advise the "back seat tech" to Stand By".. He began to reply with "rogerstandingby".. Soon he began to call me that, and I just sort of (shortened)it as a online handle.. Actually, my name is Jim...
Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Jim is a lot easier to spell.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jim is a lot easier to spell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your'e right, and at my age , easier IS better...j...
Old 07-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I think it might be for the other remote that you can use from the bedroom/rear of the RV. The one built in to the radio is not sensitive enough to "see" the remote.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote