Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
jgh
Winnebago Camper

Add picture to a post?

how do i add picture to a new thread?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Team

How to add photos to a post

The photo should reside on your computer, tablet or phone. If you have a photo at Google or Dropbox or similar cloud location download it (Right click Save Photo As) to your computer, tablet or phone FIRST.

Here's how to post a photo inside an existing thread that you are replying to:

Click scroll down to bottom of a thread to the Quick Reply editor box.
  • At the bottom of the Quick Reply box, click "go advanced" and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded from your computer, tablet or phone's photo gallery. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

IF you are starting a new thread then you can skip the whole "Go Advanced" instruction because when starting a new thread you are already in the Advanced Editor. So, in this case you just scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button in the Advanced Editor.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
how do i add picture to a new thread?
I’ll also add that adding a photo that you’ve taken often ends up sideways, or disoriented.

The work around is it take a screen shot of your photo, and then upload the screenshot, not the original photo...
Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Actually Wyatt, without realizing it, it is you that is taking the photo sideways or upside down.

See, your phone or tablet has a gyro inside and knows what is right side up. When you take a photo upside down your device’s camera marks the true orientation EXIF data on the photo denoting it’s actual orientation when you take the photo. But, then your device displays your upside down photo as right side up. It’s still upside down, just being shown to you as right side up.

Desktop computers and forum software don’t have gyros and they read the EXIF data on the photo to display the actual orientation just as you took the picture.

All you need do is learn how to use your phone or tablet to take a photo with the correct orientation OR load photos from your devices onto a desktop computer and then correct the image in photo editing software.

If you edit the photo’s orientation On a computer and save that edit it will now have the correct EXIF data to be displayed correctly everywhere.

For most phones right side up is the home button on the phone down or when taking side shots put the home button on the right. On an iPhone you can also always take side shots correctly if the volume buttons are down at the bottom.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Ah, now I know why so many of us are (were) having issues. Thank you! The screenshot upload works I guess as it doesn’t contain that information as to the orientation of which one took the photo. It’s hard sometimes taking a photo in all the places, like underneath your RV so on and so forth requires want to use a different hand I can imagine why these photos being taken upside down or sideways.
So at least we can put that want to rest, easy enough.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Actually Wyatt, without realizing it, it is you that is taking the photo sideways or upside down.

See, your phone or tablet has a gyro inside and knows what is right side up. When you take a photo upside down your device’s camera marks the true orientation EXIF data on the photo denoting it’s actual orientation when you take the photo. But, then your device displays your upside down photo as right side up. It’s still upside down, just being shown to you as right side up.

Desktop computers and forum software don’t have gyros and they read the EXIF data on the photo to display the actual orientation just as you took the picture.

All you need do is learn how to use your phone or tablet to take a photo with the correct orientation OR load photos from your devices onto a desktop computer and then correct the image in photo editing software.

If you edit the photo’s orientation On a computer and save that edit it will now have the correct EXIF data to be displayed correctly everywhere.

For most phones right side up is the home button on the phone down or when taking side shots put the home button on the right. On an iPhone you can also always take side shots correctly if the volume buttons are down at the bottom.
Thanks much. Was wondering why I was having upside down pics.

I just looked on my Android Samsung phone, and know know that side shots with home button on right, puts the volume buttons on the bottom. That isn't the way I was using it as with the buttons on top I use the volume UP button to take the picture, rather than tapping the screen. Little did I know I have been taking upside down side pic's ....
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My computer shows them in the direction the gyro says they should be oriented. To fix it, I have been opening each picture I want to upload in "MS Photos", rotating them 360 degrees, and saving a copy.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Little did I know I have been taking upside down side pic's ....
People tend to think it's a forum software problem. A Google search shows thousands of answers and many people think that since the volume buttons will take the photo that they must go at the top like a camera shutter.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
My computer shows them in the direction the gyro says they should be oriented. To fix it, I have been opening each picture I want to upload in "MS Photos", rotating them 360 degrees, and saving a copy.
It's a couple of steps easier to just take them in the correct orientation to begin with. Once learned it's an easy operation.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It's a couple of steps easier to just take them in the correct orientation to begin with. Once learned it's an easy operation.
If I am holding something open, or out of the way, and operating the camera one-handed, it is often easier for me to fix the orientation later. I generally need to edit the picture and resize the it downward anyway as the 5mb size is too big for uploading.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
People tend to think it's a forum software problem. A Google search shows thousands of answers and many people think that since the volume buttons will take the photo that they must go at the top like a camera shutter.
Ha ha, yes guessing a lot of us think that way. Would make sense, but we didn't engineer the shudder button placement.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Ha ha, yes guessing a lot of us think that way. Would make sense, but we didn't engineer the shudder button placement.
Not to argue with you, but as an FYI the volume controls were not initially shutter buttons. They were turned into auxiliary shutter buttons about 5 years after cameras on phones started being a thing. But it wasn't always that way. There should be a large button on the screen that is the "official" shutter button.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

And yes there is a large button on the screen. But well I kinda got used to the Vol button! What can I say....
Old 05-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Not to argue with you, but as an FYI the volume controls were not initially shutter buttons. They were turned into auxiliary shutter buttons about 5 years after cameras on phones started being a thing. But it wasn't always that way. There should be a large button on the screen that is the "official" shutter button.
Guys, this is easy. You can do the work around the Creativepart mentioned, or you can just take a screen shot of whatever photo you took and upload that. That removes the orientation “tags” and the photo will always be in the orientation of the screen shot you took.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
MISSION CONTROL HERE, We have a problem....

I just took a side pic with the S9 making sure the volume buttons were facing down. Went to view the pic and guess what? It was "Upside Down".

So what's the deal here? Samsung not conforming?

Denny
Old 05-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ - Turn Screen Rotation On / Off

Swipe down on the Status bar (at the top). The image below is an example.
Swipe down from the top of the display to expand the quick settings menu.
Tap 'Auto rotate' or 'Portrait'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower_window_shade-01.gif
Views:	101
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	173405  
Old 05-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ - Turn Screen Rotation On / Off

Swipe down on the Status bar (at the top). The image below is an example.
Swipe down from the top of the display to expand the quick settings menu.
Tap 'Auto rotate' or 'Portrait'.
Ok see what you mean. See what your getting at. Thanks.

But I do like Auto-Rotate on for some of my APPs. Thanks again