Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Loud Pop near Entry Door when coming to a full stop

Hey everyone,

New to the forums so thanks on advance for any help We have a 2013 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42d and during the last couple trips it has a new issue. When coming to a full stop it makes a really loud cracking or popping noise. The noise is coming from the passenger side or entry door area. I took apart the Air Lock mechanism and it seems fine. I can come to a full stop VERY VERY slowly and it still makes the noise. I mention this because I don't think it's a chassis issue due to flex or anything. It almost sounds like a huge rock hitting the windshield. The deadbolt is functional, the air lock seems to be working. I'm honestly mystified, Does any of the good members of this community have any suggestions? Really really appreciate any help.
seanbrown427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Sean,
This old Thread from 2016 seems to describe the same popping sound that you are hearing:
Winnebago Entry Door auto air lock behavior
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yeah, I read that one and took the Air Lock out and inspected it. It looks fine. So I'm still not sure what the sound is Thanks for the reply
seanbrown427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Sean,
The air lock is most likely hanging up slightly on the hook lock on the door. Check to make sure that hook isn't cracked. The ideal situation is that the lock will release slowly as you come to a stop, but the extra pressure will cause it to drop suddenly, making the snapping noise.
The solution is to slightly losen the air lock roller assembly screws and adjust it by small amounts until it stops hanging up, but to not move it too much or you'll lose the locking effect and introduce a lot of air noise. When I did this, I first marked the starting point, then made a slight adjustment, drove far enough to cause the lock to activate, then stopped to hear the effect of my change. It took several trys before I got it to an acceptabe spot. It will change a little over time, so you'll probably need to do it again in a few years.
Good luck.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door