Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Itasca 2003 Entry Door Check/stop kit

My entry door was having issues, basically didn't work. Pulled it apart and found it worn out and useless. I seached our site, got some significant information and especially pictures. Seached the internet and finally came up with a source to purchase the 491109 door check kit.
https://www.store.alfateersrvservice...it-G5A34CK.htm
So happy
Thanks for the leads!
Bart
2003 Itacsca Horizon 34HD
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thanks,
Its always good to have another place to get parts.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just installed the door stop kit this afternoon. Unfortunately the door doesn't quite open 90 degrees from the opening. I also now understand the popping noise many people have mentioned as the door begins to reach the full open position. I'm thinking of some ideas to get the door to open at least a full 90 degrees. I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 02-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well,
I've had the infamous "Popping" for both in and out for several years. Winne doesn't have an answer, other than BUY A NEW DOOR STAY! Well, that ain't gonna happen 'cause, it's gonna do the same thing in a couple of years. There's a company here in town in Lake Havasu City AZ that invented (and supposedly has Winnebago's blessing ) a mechanism that is a form of a door stop. Well, I've seen that thing in action and, yes, it's a door stop alright but, based on the weight of that door, and, where that new "door stop" is mounted, the wind can over power that little unit in a heartbeat!

So, I came up with my own. In reality, it's pretty simple. All I did was sew some Nylon Webbing as limiting straps. In the pics below, you see how they're attached and, at what points. They are secured in between the door skin you see when the door is open, and, the structure of the door itself. The other end is secured in the door jamb, close to one of the hinges.

I had one on it when I first set this idea up and, it worked but, again, that door is HEAVY and, the wind can influence it quite easily. So, I took the skin back off and, sewed up two more straps. So, now I have THREE on there. So, three of those straps plus, the original *almost useless* door stay, keeps that door pretty darn secure at 90 degrees.
Scott

P.S. On edit: Sorry about the blue masking tape, not sure why I had it on there. Must have been a reason at the time of install. When the door skin is on, all you see is a small pig tail, *three of them*, emanating from the edge of that door skin, close to the hinge side of the jamb. They just sort of self-fold when the door closes. But, when the door is opened, they, along with the rest of each webbing, just tighten up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	172830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	172831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	172832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	172833  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Very interesting solution, just a couple of questions:
1. How close to 90 degrees did you install it?
2. What kind of brackets did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I bought the replacement parts from the initial thread link. The doors are made of aluminum yet it's still pretty heavy. I'm trying to get my Photobucket account up and running again so I can post some pictures
The new latch assembly didn't allow the door to open a full 90 degrees. I took the assembly back out and welded up the slot and redrilled the hole out a little further allowing the door to go just past the 90 degree angle. I you replace yours I hope it will fit properly.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingchop View Post
Very interesting solution, just a couple of questions:
1. How close to 90 degrees did you install it?
2. What kind of brackets did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks
Well,
It wasn't too hard of a project. All I created was a form of *limiting straps* so to speak. Knowing that the interior skin, the plastic one that covers the entire door, sits pretty much right up against the structural part of the door, my remedy had to be low profile. So, I just opened the door so just shy of 90 degrees and basically propped it in that position with whatever was on hand.

Then, I got out my supply of webbing. I have a commercial machine and sew stuff every once in a while. It's a hobby type thing. Anyway, I selected some 1" wide, semi-thick webbing and measured out what it would take to span the distance you see in the pics, and, form a couple of loops to sew, one at each end. As for the brackets, they're about as simple as one can get. A couple of pieces aluminum 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick x 2" long. Then, drill a hole in each end to use for securing. The brackets would go inside the loops as you see in the pics.

I cut all three straps the exact same length. Then, I sewed the loops in the end of them so in the end, when stretched out, all three straps were all identical. I know the inside door jamb, where the hinges are located, has some clearance between that edge of the door and, the jamb so, I could install the end of the straps and brackets, without interfering with anything when the door's closed.

As for the other end, as stated, the door is propped to just shy of 90 degrees. So, I'd stretch by hand, one of straps as best I could, and, at that point, I'd mark where the holes in the door should be drilled. I knew the door, being a bit stronger than I am, would tax those straps more than I could stretch them so, I compensated for that by not opening the door to a full 90 degrees.

I installed that single strap. Then, I did the same for the other two straps. This has been a pretty good experiment. So far, three of those straps are doing the job fairly well of retaining the weight of that door, for most situations. We've had a stout wind gust up every now and then from out of no where and, yep, it stretched them a bit but, it only opened a few degrees past 90 degrees. That was tolerable. If you'd want even more strength, add a fourth or fifth strap. The loop or, slack in the strap when the door is closed, seems to not interfere with any door components. So, you could add as many straps as you'd like, within reason and what fits.

Obviously, the more straps you add, the stronger the retention to 90 degrees you'll make it. And, the good part about this fix is, you can't see anything unless the door is open and, all you do see then is, the short, stretched sections that emerge from beneath the door skin, and head over to the inside door jamb.
Scott

P.S. I had ONE strap on it to begin with. I put it all together and, opened the door to 90 degrees. Well, a single strap, 1" wide, works but, due to the leverage of the weight of that door and the fact that it can become a large SAIL in a matter of a heartbeat if a gust of wind pops up, it will stretch a lot farther than one would think. So, THREE was my next test. So far, so good.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, itasca