Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Full Wall Slide LOUD scrapping noise

08 32H Voyage Full Wall Slide. Just started happening. There is a Very noticable metallic scrapping noise as the slide is extended or retracted. I listend as my wife operated he controls. It sounds like a hard object is stuck and is scrapping the outside exterior underbelly of the slide. Can't quite figure it out. I don't feel any gouge marks. The gears are lubed and the support bracket wheels move freely. ??
jwd53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had a similar thing in our Country Coach. Turned out to be a very small plastic piece (about 3 X 3") that had worn off and caused the problem. It started for us with a clunk and a lot of noise, but it went in and out. We didn't do anything until, leaving a park, it never quite went all the way in. They had to open the slide, jack it up a little, replace the small plastic part (I'm sure it has a real name!) and let the slide down. The whole repair took a few hours with two people working. Thankfully, one was my husband and his labor is free.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check the topper cover, especially if it has a metal cover. Just had the same sound and inside sounded like it was coming from the bottom area of the slide. Ended up being the metal topper cover. A few squirts of dry silicone spray fixed it.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

OK so I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the gear and rear housing and the noise went away. Now the full wall slide will not fully seat. It sticks out about an inch. I tried pushing on the front geared housing as my wife pushed the button. this worked, sort of, now the other geared housing sticks out. Do I need another person to push on the geared housing and the slide is being retracted? I operate the system with the engine running. Would it help to up the rpm's while operating the slide mechanism? Stumped here in La Pine, Oregon.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The FWS in our 37F has a center bracket (support) midway between the two "geared" arms that move and support the slide. On the two occasions when the FWS would not fully retract and become completely flush with the remaining coach body, the problem was a broken bolt in the center support. Each of the two bolts in this bracket has broken once. While either bolt was broken, the slide drooped down enough to prevent the water compartment door from opening.

The fix was to weld a nut onto the broken bolt, because there is no way to replace the broken bolt without removing the entire the slide "box". Ed
Old 09-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow. My center support slides in a steel sleeve.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

JWD53,
What make slides do you have? Is there a separate in and out button? On my full wall (different model MH) there is a small hole for a tootpick to push in, hold for 6 seconds and both in and out lights will blink. This is "electronic manual mode." Pushing the "out" button brings in the rear of the slide and the "in" button the front of the slide. One the slide is in and still sticking out, push the "reset" button for 6 seconds and then see if you can move the slide in with those buttons.

I may be way off with your model!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wayne, I have the same style unit. I will try this when we break camp on Wednesday. This may save me from looking for a couple of big guys to help push the slide in while my wife pushes the button.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd53 View Post
Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow. My center support slides in a steel sleeve.
I hope this picture helps. Note they welded the nut to the bracket and NOT to the bolt as I posted.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...0&ppuser=19091
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ed I finally got my similar bracket welded. The slide works excellent. I appreciate you taking the time to post your photos. BIG BIG Help.

Tags
slide