Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2023, 07:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator while driving 2017 Vista 35 LX

In our 2017 Vista 35 LX. Is it ok to have generator running while driving it hiway speeds? We were driving in 99 degree temps and main area of coach was in upper 80s and fridge was going down to upper 30s. This us why I ask!
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Of course. We run the generator and A/C much of the time while driving to keep the RV cool. You have to stay ahead of heat build up as best you can with these high temperatures we’re seeing this year. That’s why there is a generator start switch in the drivers area.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yup; I pre-set my thermostat so it will come on after starting the genset. That way DW doesn't have go get up to set the thermostat. When we stop for lunch or for the night the coach is already cool. That's really great when we both are tired from traveling all day, just eat dinner and relax.
FWIW, all RV appliances are certified by the mfgr as safe to use while moving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35F. We try to use our generator to keep the Coach cool, but it keeps shutting down after we are on the road. We are new to all of this as we have only had it since mid-May. Hubby is extremely handy, but this has him baffled.
baybragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Mine will shut off under two conditions when driving. One if I hit a big bump like a railroad crossing or construction with a drop off. And two, if I slam on the brakes - even when going slowly in traffic.

In either instance, I monitor the green light on the dash generator switch. If it's blinking after one of those events I start it back up right then.

I'm pretty sure it's an oil sensor - I think the bump or the braking slosh the oil at the sensor and the generator shuts down.

These generators are very oil level sensitive. The unit will not run unless there is adequate oil in the unit... and you dare not over fill the oil fill port either.

I haven't checked my oil in a while. We just went on one short weekend trip and the generator stopped once while driving. I hit a bridge transition that bounced the coach pretty well. So, I glanced down and the green light was blinking. So, I restarted the gen and went on my way.

I know that the blinking light is an error message and if I counted the blinks and their order it would yield a numbered error that I could look up. But when it happens I just want it to restart right away and don't want to be bothered determining the error.

Oh... that reminds me... I need to check the generator's oil level.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:51 PM   #6
Site Team

On my 4,000 watt generator, it is not possible to over-fill it (just an FYI for the smaller generators.)
Oil level is checked with the cap unscrewed, and then just dipped-into the crank without threading it in.
Also, don't forget that the generator's fuel pick-up is located at the quarter tank level, so if you're getting low, the generator cannot get fuel.
Thanks, Eagle5.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just let that genny run. We've run the air conditioner, heat pump, washer, dryer and even a crock pot while going down the road. But not at the same time, of course.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes, running the generator and AC keeps peace. Stay comfortable.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi I have a 2017 Mini Winnie and we will be taking our first trip this week. Can I run the generator to keep the fridge and food cold while driving to camp site?
cvodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:56 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvodave View Post
Hi I have a 2017 Mini Winnie and we will be taking our first trip this week. Can I run the generator to keep the fridge and food cold while driving to camp site?
You mean a Minnie Winnie, not a Mini Winnie, correct?

I checked the brochure for your model year and it appears you have a gas absorption AC/LP RV fridge. For that style of fridge most folks would normally just run the fridge on propane when they are driving. But you can run the generator to run the fridge without issue. There isn’t much benefit from doing that, but it is possible.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. Do I turn on the fridge when loading and will it automatically us propane of generator isn’t on?
Old 08-07-2023, 07:47 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvodave View Post
Thank you. Do I turn on the fridge when loading and will it automatically us propane of generator isn’t on?
Your fridge likely has a 3-position control- AC - LP - Auto. If in Auto it should automatically switch between AC and LP. However, if you expect to run it on LP you must have the propane tank valve open and have propane in the tank for this to work properly. If not you will get an error on the fridge.

Seems logical that you need to have propane in the tank and the valve open, but it’s easy to overlook the little things. And suddenly you see an error on the fridge control panel.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

fridge

Thank you very much

Tags
generator