Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Running Generator while driving.

Just bought 2002 Adventurer. Has Onan generator and two compressor heat pump heating/cooling. Can the generator be run, as well as heat pump while driving down the road?
willrust2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I do not know your model specifically, but when it is 105-110 outside during travel, I run the generator and roof air conditioner to help cool the cabin down.

I have not heard of this being an issue, but I would guess there are edge cases.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't see why the generator would care either way. It doesn't know it's moving, and assuming it has a carburetor that should be able to handle the bumps.

There was a thread here a while ago that indicated some A/Cs exhaust the hot air forward, which seems like a bad design. I could see that would interfere with A/C operation while moving. If it exhausts to the rear seemingly the A/C would be slightly more efficient than stationary.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We've been running it for years. Never had one problem.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
in a word, yup.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

I do it all the time. Living in south Texas you run the A/C in the driveway while loading up (we have a 30-amp outlet in the garage), and then before taking off I start the genset even before unplugging. I run the genset and A/C all the while I'm setting up and plugging in at the campsite.

If you let the A/C stop even for 20 mins it will take hours to cool the RV back off again.

One thing - I don't know if it's an issue for others, but a sudden hard stop or big bump can make our genset stop. I assume it's a fuel issue. But the restart button is on the dash right near the steering wheel so I can see it flashing and get it restarted quickly.

I should count the number of flashes to get an error number, but usually I'm more interested in restarting right away.

FYI, this doesn't happen very often.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
I do not know your model specifically, but when it is 105-110 outside during travel, I run the generator and roof air conditioner to help cool the cabin down.

I have not heard of this being an issue, but I would guess there are edge cases.
we don’t wait for +100-deg temps. the AC goes on when in our judgement it’s needed. depending on the heat index or dew point temps that could be in the 70’s.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When we first took our RV home on its maiden voyage it was very cool outside in February and the cab heat was just fine. Running the generator never crossed my mind... Until the summer months. Now I cannot imagine NOT using the generator while on the road here in the south, or anywhere else when it's hot outside.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We do it all the time, the dash isn’t enough to cool the coach and with the kids riding on the dinette it’s not fair to let them cook while we drive.
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We take advantage of “exercising” our gen set whenever we hit the road, to get in the recommend two hour time as we drive, which ends up being about once a month as they like to see. Works fine.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Echo the south land observation. These big ol' trailer shacks get HOT!

Do your pre-trip maintenance, do your post-trip maintenance and stay cool.

We leave ours running if we stop and go in for lunch or if we dash into a rest stop or pull over to pick coyote gourds and have never had a problem. Doesn't drink much and has a number of safeties in case of low oil, low coolant, high temp, etc.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

This might be a tad off topic, but are there any opinions out there about putting tips on the exhaust pipes of the chassis and generator to deflect the exhaust down instead of straight out?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, New to big rig

Thank you all for the reply and RV wisdom. In August VA to Colorado.
willrust2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
This might be a tad off topic, but are there any opinions out there about putting tips on the exhaust pipes of the chassis and generator to deflect the exhaust down instead of straight out?

Actually I have an exhaust tip on my engine exhaust to deflect it to the side. Otherwise when you pull into somewhere that has gravel roads the exhaust blows up clouds of dust which when moving slowly can get sucked into the engine air intake.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Actually I have an exhaust tip on my engine exhaust to deflect it to the side. Otherwise when you pull into somewhere that has gravel roads the exhaust blows up clouds of dust which when moving slowly can get sucked into the engine air intake.

Good point. Where did you find the tip for your exhaust. None of the automotive supply stores up here have the right size.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Good point. Where did you find the tip for your exhaust. None of the automotive supply stores up here have the right size.
Try searching for motorcycle exhausts. I found one, to use as an additional exhaust silencer. Problem for me was, the noise isn’t really coming from the exhaust, per se, but rather the whole contraption, which can’t be insulated, since it’s air cooled.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #17
RVCalypso

When we had our Super C we ran the generator and A/C going down the road. With our smaller Minnie Winnie we have not found the need.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I purchased it from a diesel truck parts supplier here in Burnsville, Mn. It wasn't cheap. If I remember correctly it was around a hundred dollars.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
Dives2Little

Once we get past about 95°, outside, the generator goes on. If not, it takes forever to cool the cabin when we park. The dash air is not up to cooling 43'! Also, if we need to stop, the dogs don't risk heat issues.
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Generator exhaust extension

I used a piece of metal electrical conduit to extend mine. Works great.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator