Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Since we owned our Journey most of the trips we have taken were only a few hours away from home max. We are on our first longer trip (Florida to South Carolina). The rig drove like a dream up here. Absolutely love every second behind the wheel. Just one strange thing happened.

We filled up with Diesel before we left - topped it off completely. About 450 miles into the trip, the Diesel was at about 1/2 tank per the guage. The generator just cut off on its own. I know this is supposed to happen at 1/4 tank to save fuel, but the guage said 1/2 tank. Anyways, we stopped and re-fueled. After a bunch of attempts, the gen finally cranked. It took about 10 tries for it to turn over - but since its working fine.

Question is, do you think I ran too low on Diesel even so my guage said 1/2? Or perhaps was this un-related? Any feedback on this topic is appreciated.

Thanks All - and happy Thanksgiving!!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Since we owned our Journey most of the trips we have taken were only a few hours away from home max. We are on our first longer trip (Florida to South Carolina). The rig drove like a dream up here. Absolutely love every second behind the wheel. Just one strange thing happened.

We filled up with Diesel before we left - topped it off completely. About 450 miles into the trip, the Diesel was at about 1/2 tank per the guage. The generator just cut off on its own. I know this is supposed to happen at 1/4 tank to save fuel, but the guage said 1/2 tank. Anyways, we stopped and re-fueled. After a bunch of attempts, the gen finally cranked. It took about 10 tries for it to turn over - but since its working fine.

Question is, do you think I ran too low on Diesel even so my guage said 1/2? Or perhaps was this un-related? Any feedback on this topic is appreciated.

Thanks All - and happy Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It sounds to me that you discovered the level where the fuel feed to the genset is located in your fuel tank ... either the feed is higher than you thought ... or the calibration on the fuel gauge is not as accurate as you imagined ...

We have a 2004 Journey ... my fuel gauge always drops faster on the bottom half of the tank than on the top half ...

When I am running the genset when going down the road I always fill up at the 3/8 to half tank mark ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

How many gallons of fuel did it take to fill the tank? Did the tank show full when you were done fueling?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As the other posters indicate, if twere me I would check the fuel put into the tank against the guage reading and the size of the tank. Possibly the guage is out of adjustment. Also consider that there is 'some slop' in the fuel tank while under way and if the system sensed a low fuel situation it might have shut down. Based on your having a problem getting the Genny running I would venture a guess that the Genny caught a gulp of air, became airbound and shut down.
Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Probably run out of fuel and it quit. If I remember correctly, my book says to hold the starter switch down in the "OFF" position for several seconds, then start it. Primes the generator fuel pump, I think.

I think the fuel guages are way out of whack. Mine seems to stay on full for a long time, then gets to 1/2 tank pretty quick. I always start looking for a truck stop at 1/2 tank.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I don't suppose you checked the code when it shut off? When the genset quits on it's own, the switch will blink two times or three times indicating whether it was some sort of normal or abnormal shut down (check your manual for which means which), then if you press down once on the off side of the switch, it will give you the fault code, it will blink for the first digit, and then the second digit, and then you can look it up in your manual. If it was due to running out of fuel, it will indicate that by the codes. Next time it shuts down, check the code and see what's up, may or may not help, but if it's a simple problem, like fuel level, at least you'll know for sure. Good luck!
Alan
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I think you all are correct. When we stopped, it took 67 gallons to fill up. At a 95 gallon tank, it sounds pretty darn close to the 1/4 gen cut-off rule. A little off topic here, but we did drive 455 miles on the 67 gallons of fuel - so runing the gen and pushing 65ish MPH with a Toad, we did "ok" on fuel mileage.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

flashajt,

I'm pretty sure Journey's only have a 90 gal tank, so that puts you at almost exactly 1/4 tank when the genset shut off.

I think you have your answer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

James, I think you found the low spot for gen. As others have said my guage registers above half for a long time then drops quickly so that makes sense as to what might have happened. You have a 90 gal. tank. Hope your travels are going well and enjoy that great looking coach.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well I do have my answer. Just threw me off with the fuel guage at 1/2 tank - will mention that to our tech the next time we have her in for service. Perhaps they can calibrate or replace the fuel guage, or, perhaps, we will leave it alone and just pay more attention to miles driven.

Fun Time - we are really enjoying our trip. Heading back to Florida on Wed morning. Our son is having a blast here in Myrtle Beach too. Some folks were hovered outside our rig this morning admiring our new Alcoa wheels. I need to put a new thumbnail online.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

You should be able to display the last fault code by pressing the stop button 3 times within 5 seconds. I'm not sure if this is true for all Onan gens, if not your manual should tell you how.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

That's a nice tidbit DancinCampers, I am currently having some issues with my Onan and find it difficult to catch the generator in time when it quits. That's good to know how to get the last fault code, thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Doug's reply above about the priming was correct. If you do run out, go out front where the "start / stop" switch is located and hold it down in the stop position for 30 - 45 seconds. This will reprime the genny and will help you with the starting. If after doing it once, you still don't get a quick start, repeat the procedure again -- maybe did not fully reprime the first time. This is according to the ONAN manual.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Why were you running the generator while driving? Was it that warm that you needed the A/C's?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote