Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coach Seriously Damaged While in the Shop

I'm Seeking Opinion From Other Owners

My coach has been in a CW repair shop for a couple of weeks having some minor body repairs and costly repainting due to sun fading. I was told on the phone a few days ago that my front curb-side slide opened mysteriously during the night in their shop and that a defective control board was responsible. Prior to taking my coach to the shop, the slide was performing perfectly.

Today I have been told that when the slide "opened itself" it was locked closed. As a consequence, the slide's drive motor and its bracket were destroyed. My approved estimates for the work that they're doing is already in the low five-figures. Now it appears that I'm going to be slammed with a huge additional expense.

Does anybody think that this is suspicious and/or that CW should assume responsibility for damage to my coach while it's in their shot and custody?
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post

My coach has been in a CW repair shop for a couple of weeks having some minor body repairs and costly repainting due to sun fading. I was told on the phone a few days ago that my front curb-side slide opened mysteriously during the night in their shop and that a defective control board was responsible. Prior to taking my coach to the shop, the slide was performing perfectly.

Today I have been told that when the slide "opened itself" it was locked closed. As a consequence, the slide's drive motor and its bracket were destroyed. My approved estimates for the work that they're doing is already in the low five-figures. Now it appears that I'm going to be slammed with a huge additional expense.

Does anybody think that this is suspicious and/or that CW should assume responsibility for damage to my coach while it's in their shot and custody?
Sorry to hear that doesn't sound right to me. I would NOT take my wheel barrow to CW to have it worked on for anything!!! Years ago had window awning put on, was so unlevel it was horrible and easily noticed. That was it, never again. Caveat Emptor
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It sounds like they tried to open it when it was locked closed. You should contact with your insurance company asap.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Insurance company, HELL. Contact a lawyer. Initial consultations are usually free. It is surprising what a note with a lawyers letterhead will accomplish.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Also call Winnebago and ask a tech if the slide opening on it's own when nobody is around and the rig is parked is even possible.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
Site Team

I tried searching our forum for:
slide opened by itself
and there are a couple of relevant hits, but the slides only opened by a few inches.
If you are considering contacting your insurance company, I would do that before contacting a lawyer. Once you have contacted a lawyer, your own insurance company might consider you to be representing yourself, and perhaps won't be as helpful. Give your insurance company a chance to help you out first.
Good luck.
Eagle5
Old 07-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Insurance company, HELL. Contact a lawyer. Initial consultations are usually free. It is surprising what a note with a lawyers letterhead will accomplish.
The tough approach sounds great, but, unless you have an existing relationship with a good attorney, or know one, it's not the best option. I recently spent about $1,200 on an attorney recommended by an acquaintance to write a letter and draft a complaint filing (non-RV issue). This was all for nothing, the attorney turned out to be a flake. He seemed great in the free consultation.

CW is going to have either corporate attorneys or attorneys on retainer and, in my opinion, you'll be at a disadvantage. I'm pretty sure attorney's letters are a common occurrence for them. Unlike a private citizen or a small business person, they won't lose any sleep over it, they'll just forward it to their attorney or legal department and launch a delay and obfuscate process that will end up costing you money.

Alternatively, you may be covered by your insurance and, if they determine that CW is at fault, they will "subrogate" and go after them to recover what they paid you, plus your deductible. Why purchase insurance if you're not going to use it?
Old 07-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Your insurance company is probably going to view this as a defective slide-out issue and not an accident. If the slide actually did go out on it's own, it is a defective product and not an accident. CW will be considered an RV expert and their claim that it did it by itself will be justification for the insurance company to call it a defective component and not an insurance issue. If your slide-out damaged some CW property or another camper your insurance company would probably cover that damage. EDIT: Your insurance company will say it is a warranty or extended warranty issue and not covered by collision insurance. If a window stuck in your car and it burned up the window drive motor and broke the motor bracket, I doubt if your collision insurance would cover the repair. This is a very simular situation.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Team

This is a long shot... but on the Good Sam website, at the bottom of the page. There's a photo of Marcus the CEO and it says, "If you're happy, I'm happy." And there is a phone number and email for his office. He own Camping World, too.

You might try that:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 3.45.49 PM.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	183493  
Old 07-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

^^^^^^ THIS . Might get a finger print off the slide switch if it comes to he said , he said . Wouldn't the motor stall out first ? Before tearing the whole assembly . Had CW say I needed a whole " Rack system " . Took it to Lichtsinn in Iowa , while at Grand Rally , ,they " CW " had put different motor in and that's why the slide would come out crooked and not close flush . That was last straw for me . Use a mobil guy now .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The manufacturer of your slide is going to be the best source of information regarding the possibility of what CW maintains, not CW.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I don't know the age or model of the OP's RV but 10 year old Winnebago products are known to have slide lock issues. There are a large number of "full in" and "full out" limit switches involved. The failure or miss adjustment of any of the switches can result in expensive slide motor and lock motor and gear failures. After a $4k extended warranty repair, I quit using the slide locks. I cut 2X4s to length and lay them on top of the slides, when retracted. They have long red 2" wide red ribbon flags attached to remind me that they are there.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I take it slide locks are only for hydraulic slides? My slides are gear driven and I didn't get any slide locks but I bought used so maybe they're supposed to be there? So far 2 years and 10,000 miles they haven't moved by themselves.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I take it slide locks are only for hydraulic slides? My slides are gear driven and I didn't get any slide locks but I bought used so maybe they're supposed to be there? So far 2 years and 10,000 miles they haven't moved by themselves.
I have a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F that has electronic slides with slide locks. The driver's side slide runs from just behind the drivers seat to about 5-6 feet from the back bumper. Probably overr 25 feet long.includes a large screen TV, dining table, sink, stove, dual door refrigerator, washer/dryer and ALL the clothing storage closets/drawers. It is a monster. It is something that you want to move even inches, while driving.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:59 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I have a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F that has electronic slides with slide locks.
I have the same coach, only the Winnebago version, mine is a 2017 model. It has 3-slides, two are electric and one hydraulic. Only the hydraulic slide has a slide lock.

The full-wall slide on the driver’s side has no lock and neither does the bedroom slide. Only the passenger side (hydraulic) couch slide has a slide lock.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

What makes you think it is going to be a huge additional expense?

Did they provide estimate to replace slide motor and bracket?

I am still trying to absorb the fact that a slide is locked and that it opens itself at the same time? I would think that even if control board failed and was trying to open slide, if locked, it would trip a breaker.

If you are clever, you might try to get CW Service policy with regard units they keep overnight. I would think they have rule to turnoff the power sources and disconnect switches. If they have such policy, you might be able to show negligence on their part. It would be akin to if they left windows or the door opened and severe rain damage was incurred.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

A lot of good advice especially contacting Marcus. Have you authorized repair yet if not don't go up there tell them to show you this so-called defective controller tell them you want this "defective controller" after repair but go one step further tale several pictures of it and marked down any pertinent info like serial number of it. If they repaired it already that would be an unauthorized repair and that's on them. I bet if they did that and you ask for this so-called "defective controller " it mysteriously disappear or was tossed and no longer available. It's sad since there's no real way to prove those didn't happen though most RV dealers like LaMesa and others have cameras in their shops recording 24/7 I bet this place is no exception so if you do go there take a look see if there's cameras ask to see this mystery bet that time it was broken. Chances are someone screwed up put it out without unlocking or checking clearance. This could be a no win situation so IMHO contacting Marcus might be your best solution even if they killed the power to the coach you still have batteries. Also do some checking first, if they didn't swap it but pressure you I'd get up there asap . Let us know what becomes of this please. Always good to know what places to stay clear of...
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2011 Journey and the full wall drivers slide did exactly what CW described. I store at an off site storage and about 18 months ago I went to chack on it and the full wall slide was angled out and cocked in it's opening. I contacted Winnebago and they talked me through getting the slide back in. I had to bypass the slide lock interlocks as they prevented power from getting to the drive mechanism. This is a power gear slide mechanism with two slide locks. Amazingly after getting the slide driven back in, everything has worked ok since then. One change since this happened, I always turn the keyed power switch off after moving the slides in or out. I do not want to go through this again.
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Most Winnebago slide outs have a key lock, plus several other conditions, as well as the "in and out" switch. I always make sure the key is in the off position after using the slide. At a repair shop, if they are not using the slide, the key is taken out, and on the Key ring.

Forget contacting "Marcus". I tried that with multiple complaints about CW. No joy! The irony is that there is a recall --and I took my RV purchased at a CW twice to get that recall repair done, and each the CW said that Winnebago had sent the "wrong parts". Now Winnebago tells me that there was no contact ever from CW about my coach. But the only nearby agents allowed to do the warrantee work is CW... My private RV guy who is excellent, will not work on a warrantee based on what he was told by Winnebago--they would only accept CW's repair to be "satisfactory.

Something smells here--and with your claim. Our sympathy--I would consider it CW respomnsibility--but then I would not trust CW to do a proper repair.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post

Thanks to those who commented on this post. CW submitted a damage claim to my insurance company. My insurance adjuster has agreed to cover the cost of repairing the damage 100%.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote