Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Navion iQ view 24V-Crunched while at Mercedes shop!

took my 2014 Navion iQ View 24V in to Mercedes Benz, and while it was waiting in line to be washed after the wheel speed sensors were replaced, somebody raked the left side with a car and took out two of the storage cabinets-one in front of the left rear wheel well and one behind, crumpled the left rear wheel well and put a small nick in the lower frame of the slide out.

So, the first time I took the vehicle to M Benz the steps stopped working and this second time they destroyed the left side!

Here is the question: 1. how do I "assist" M. Benz in finding a shop that can actually repair this RV? and , 2. how do I find a neutral surveyor (is what the boat industry calls them) who can assess what damage if any has occured to the operating systems BEHIND the dented panels? (Like the slide out, the holding tanks, the propane system, the black and grey valves, etc etc.) Anybody with "crunched RV" experience??
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello Pooolboy,

Sorry to here about your coach. I used to work in the body shop industry. You have the right to get your RV repaired at a facility of your choice. Please make sure it is repaired to your satisfaction and test everything before you leave the facility after it is repaired. If they give you any problems get your insurance company involved.

Bill
Old 09-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks very much. Good advice. I knew that intuitively but must admit I am still in shock and running on adrenaline....Appreciate that as my thought processes are just beginning to process this. I called Geico last night but did not ask the right questions.
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
HFA
Winnebago Camper

RV Body Shops

You need to find a body shop that can service large vehicles. Most body shops cannot do it because their paint shop is not big enough. Do a search for RV body shops or collision repair. Here's one:
https://www.northtrailrv.com/content/collision
I don't know anything about them, just found them on the web. Same for this one:
https://www.facebook.com/Prestige-Au...4466573018953/

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have you received admission of Liability from the Benz dealer??

Unless they have assumed liability.....your insurance is primary, meaning, that in the absence of knowing who did the damage or MB saying "We'll take care of it" it's your fix
Old 09-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooolboy View Post
took my 2014 Navion iQ View 24V in to Mercedes Benz, and while it was waiting in line to be washed after the wheel speed sensors were replaced, somebody raked the left side with a car and took out two of the storage cabinets-one in front of the left rear wheel well and one behind, crumpled the left rear wheel well and put a small nick in the lower frame of the slide out.

So, the first time I took the vehicle to M Benz the steps stopped working and this second time they destroyed the left side!

Here is the question: 1. how do I "assist" M. Benz in finding a shop that can actually repair this RV? and , 2. how do I find a neutral surveyor (is what the boat industry calls them) who can assess what damage if any has occured to the operating systems BEHIND the dented panels? (Like the slide out, the holding tanks, the propane system, the black and grey valves, etc etc.) Anybody with "crunched RV" experience??
"On the speed sensor issue , I just posted 2 horrible experiences we had with our speed sensor mishaps . all to common for a company like Mercedes Winnebago and the news media not reporting on . these little inexpensive parts are in most cases ,I would presume turn out to be very costly . in our case with the brakes going out completely frightening and very dangerous . I would imagine there has been people hurt
and do not understand why this is not a class action , because of no recall .
It would be interesting if the winnebago site could poll members on #1, how many had ABS sensors go out #2 how expensive #3was anybody hurt #4 did the sensors go out on more than one occasion
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Florida is an RV Meca so there should be plenty of shops that specialize in RV collision repair many of which will be Winnebago Dealers.

What is the Mercedes Dealer saying about the issue? Was it one of their employees or another customer who was driving the vehicle that hit yours? If it was another customer then its between your insurance company and the other customers with the dealer out of the picture except as a witness.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'd get an appointment at Winnebago customer service, and go back to the factory where they can get it right the first time. Their paint shop is right there, and parts are also there for whatever they need. Great people, and worth the trip.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
I'd get an appointment at Winnebago customer service, and go back to the factory where they can get it right the first time. Their paint shop is right there, and parts are also there for whatever they need. Great people, and worth the trip.

I agree
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote