Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy 2022 Minnie shower leaks into main living area

We originally thought shower was leaking under retractable door, so calked the frame. But water is coming from under the wall below the shower onto the bathroom floor and also under the pantry cabinet into the main living area.
Dealer will let us bring in for inspection in two weeks but won't be able to look at it for 3-4 weeks (So. California).
I have been so disappointed with quality of workmanship in this travel trailer. So much for "made in America" if it even was. My husband and I joke that it was built as a movie prop that didn't need to be functional!

Anybody else have this problem?
ReluctantRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So, without a bit more info, I'm guessing here... Have you removed the access panel on the floor underneath the shower door and inspected the underside for clues?

The shower valves are on the common wall with the pantry, so it's possible you have an issue with the plumbing in that wall. It's also possible the access to the shower valves is your problem if that is not sealed correctly. That is the panel with 4 screws that the shower control valve is mounted to... Both that panel, and the shower valve itself, should be completely sealed up so that water can't get behind that wall... Again, open the floor access panel under the shower and take a look around.

If everything is dry underneath the shower, it's possible water is still getting past the shower frame as you already suspect. It sounds like you caulked the gaps on the outside of the shower frame.... I have a 2529RG and we were getting water past the frame at the base. I caulked the INSIDE of the frame where it meets the shower pan because I wanted the water to stay IN the shower - not start pooling under the frame. If you are using DAP or a similar product, there is essentially no risk in doing this.

PM me if you have any questions....
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your suggestions IOS 3. I feel like since our trailer is only two months old, we should not have to fix this problem ourselves. 😊😊

P.S. The reason I caulked only on the outside of the door track is that the retractable door drains into the track and I wanted that water to drain into the shower.
ReluctantRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can we assume this is a trailer?
Lack of good info can cripple any search for clues, so giving specifics can speed things along.

But there are some common items which can help to sort it out.
My first step would be to do some thinking/testing to begin to isolate the cause as there are two potential sources for the water. The fresh water from the shower or from the drain as it runs out?

One way to go is by putting water down the drain without it spraying all over. Lay the shower wand down near the drain , put some form of "stopper over the drain and let the water build up a couple inches before draining as a way to fully stress the connections.
When we have more water suddenly going to the drain, it can cause leaks to show more as there is a bit more pressure on things like the seal between the floor and the drain or the connections underneath like any trap, etc.
Does this unit have some form of access to open at the floor and look at the drain underneath?
If you have an opening, I find it handy to use some form of tissue as a tester. Common bath tissue will show any time it is wet or has been wet as it tends to change the shape and color. That makes it handy to wipe around any suspect joints or tie a piece around a pipe if you want to leave it there as you use the plumbing.

Sounds like the track is not going to be the problem, so if not the drain, the next place I would check is the area where the tubing connects to the back of the faucet. Semi-famous for these to either be not screwed on tight enough or there are several reports of the tubing not matched to the correct clamps to keep the tubing and fittings water tight. PEX clamps on tubing other than PEX?
Do some thinking about WHEN it leaks. Does the water show if you hook to pressure water and leave the pressure on without using the shower? Or does it only show after using the shower? That can help sort if it is the fresh water connections, spray leaking in behind the faucets or door or if it is the drain itself.
Rather than starting with taking things apart, I like to sort out things which I find are NOT involved!
If you leave it set for a day or so with water pressure on and no leaks seen, move away from the water lines as the cause!

If it is a motorized Minnie, there are super good drawings to see what is behind that wall here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Something like this if it is not a trailer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	186419

We need more specific info on what you have?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK. Understand. For what it is worth, our retractable door when closed drains to the inside (interior) of the track at the bottom. That is why we were getting water traveling under the track to the outside of the shower. Your alignment is different based on your description, and maybe the track design has changed as well. Ours is a closed track, so water can't drain into it. Hope the dealer can successfully tackle this for you. Again, PM me if you need / want any further details.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Our Minnie Flx did the same, dealer repaired under warranty and replaced water damaged door molding. Unfortunately I don’t know what they did, so many things had to be repaired under warranty
VineVixen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, shower