Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
Jim202259KL

Truma Combi Tossing E212 error when on electric

After dewinterizing (and leaving the Truma water heater in bypass mode until sanitization finished), I went to city fill mode, switched the water heater out of bypass mode, and turned on the kitchen faucet. Am I correct that doing this would fill the water heater tank with water? After a few minutes I turned on the Truma Combi at the control panel, selecting water heater, electric, hot. I waited a bit, water coming out of the hot position on the faucet was not hot. Then I noticed the code: E212 H. The code guide in the Truma packet lists several possible causes, all but two related to using propane (which I was not doing). One possibility was bad electronics (the unit was purchased 18 months ago, little use of the Truma). The other possibility was overheating. I don't see a place to set the temperature of the hot water as I can with the hot water heater in my house. Suggestions? Clues? Help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Jim202259KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Perhaps this will help you:
Troubleshooting chart (Truma Combi furnace)
Error code
Cause
Remedy
# 17
Hot water mode with empty water container.
Switch off furnace and allow to cool. Fill boiler with water.
# 18
Warm-air outlet blocked.
Check the individual outlet openings.
Circulated air intake blocked.
Remove blockage from circulated air intake.
# 21
Room temperature sensor/cable defective.
Contact Truma Service.
# 24
Imminent undervoltage, battery voltage too low < 10.4 V.
Charge battery.
# 41
Electronics blocked.
Contact Truma Service.
# 43
Excess voltage > 16.4 V.
Check battery voltage and power sources, such as battery charger.
# 44
Undervoltage, battery voltage too low < 10.0 V.
Charge battery. If necessary, replace old battery.
# 45
Only Truma Combi eco plus or Truma Combi comfort plus models.
No 120 VAC supply voltage.
Restore 120 VAC supply voltage.
Overheating protection has responded.
Contact Truma Service.
#112, #202,
#121, #211
Gas cylinder closed.
Check gas supply.
Gas shut-off valve is closed –
switch position = off.
Open gas shut-off valve –
switch position = on.
Switch off furnace and allow to cool; if necessary, fill the water container with cold water.
Check warm air outlets and circulated air intake and remove blockages.
Switch furnace on again.
#122, #212
Combustion air infeed or exhaust gas outlet closed.
Check for obstructions such as slush, ice or leaves and remove from the openings.
switch position = off.
switch position = on.
Gas pressure regulation system defective.
Contact Truma Service.
Switch off furnace and allow to cool; if necessary, fill the water container with cold water.
Switch furnace on again.
Electronics defective.
Contact Truma Service.
Furnace has no 12 VDC power supply.
Ensure 12 VDC power supply.
No connection between the furnace and the control panel.
Ensure connection between furnace and control panel.
Control panel cable defective.
Contact Truma Service.
If none of the measures in the troubleshooting chart proves successful or fault codes are displayed that cannot be found in the troubleshooting chart, please contact the Truma Service Center at 1-855-558-7862 or one of our authorized service partners.

One think I can say for Trauma, they are one class act and will spend whatever time it takes to resolve your problem. If you end up calling them make sure you have your SN off the tag.
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

New unit that I have no experience with, so I did some looking for info and came across this review which may/may not be important??
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...e-truma-combi/

Reading through I came to this and wonder if it fits you as you may have the propane supply turned OFF?

Click image for larger version

Name:	truma.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	186147

Any propane valves turned off as you did not plan to use it? Possible the tank is empty?

They sound very sure but then there are lots of folks writing that know no more than me about the thing. But they HAVE seen it, so one up on me!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:18 PM   #4
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmaster View Post
Perhaps this will help you:
Troubleshooting chart (Truma Combi furnace)
#122, #212
Combustion air infeed or exhaust gas outlet closed.
Check for obstructions such as slush, ice or leaves and remove from the openings.
switch position = off.
switch position = on.
Gas pressure regulation system defective.
Contact Truma Service.
Switch furnace on again.
Electronics defective.
Contact Truma Service.
If none of the measures in the troubleshooting chart proves successful or fault codes are displayed that cannot be found in the troubleshooting chart, please contact the Truma Service Center at 1-855-558-7862 or one of our authorized service partners.

One think I can say for Trauma, they are one class act and will spend whatever time it takes to resolve your problem. If you end up calling them make sure you have your SN off the tag.
I may end up needing to call them. Because I had turned on only the electric and not the propane, none of the causes other than two are possible. One is overheating (why?) and the other is bad electronics.

Though it should take 30 minutes for the water to heat, the error gets thrown within a couple of minutes. That makes me think if it's overheating perhaps there is no water in the Truma. But I took the valve off of bypass and then ran the hot water faucet, which I think should fill the Truma. Am i doing something wrong?
Old 05-27-2023, 10:20 PM   #5
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
New unit that I have no experience with, so I did some looking for info and came across this review which may/may not be important??
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...e-truma-combi/

Reading through I came to this and wonder if it fits you as you may have the propane supply turned OFF?

Attachment 186147

Any propane valves turned off as you did not plan to use it? Possible the tank is empty?

They sound very sure but then there are lots of folks writing that know no more than me about the thing. But they HAVE seen it, so one up on me!!
Had it on electric only, not propane. That's why I'm confused I'm getting an error that is (but for overheating or bad electronics) applicable to propane use. Strange.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Truma

I have called the customer support before and as previously mentioned they are very helpful. You said you turned on the propane. Probably necessary in this case with that error code. Also make sure propane is actually working by making sure at stove top. On my Travato I have two switches to activate propane. One inside and one outside. Both have to have 12 volts supplying each in order to work. Sometimes the outside switch corrodes so as not to allow propane to flow. Just an fyi as this happened to me once. Fore sure contact Truma. Very knowledgeable.
Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There are times when what we "think" a machine wants may not actually be what it thinks!
In this case,there are two different referrences saying the code indicates propane not turned on. To me that would mean that my understainding of the machine may not be correct.
As a new user, I try to keep an onpen mind on what the machine wants until I have some experience with it. You will never convince a machine to shange it's thinking, so when I find a cnoflict with what I think, I often try doing it the way the machine seems to want, just as a test.
Waiting for the machine to change it's mind may take too long!
I would try turning the porpane on to see if that clears the alarm that says propane is off!
Old 05-28-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The protection circuit in a Truma Combi is top end and is just about goof proof but it monitors everything in the unit and won't make hot water unless everything is perfect.

I know you have probably checked this and I don't want to be insulting but are you positively sure the unit is not in bypass. Considering mine has a combination of 5 valves, 3 waterline drains, 1 unit drain and a bypass it can be confusing. All 5 must be set correctly or the unit will just not function.

If you do need to call Truma have a smart phone handy to be able to text pictures to their tech support. I promise they are very thorough and will ask for pictures of your setup as they trouble shoot your issue.

I would try the following first:

1. Verify Propane is turned on and has correct operation, ie: make sure you can light your stove or other gas appliance.
2. Hook up to city water and double check your heater bypass and drain water valve settings,
3. Make sure water heater if full of water, open a hot water source to make sure all air is bleed.
4. Remove top plastic cover on Truma unit, remove glass fuse, wait 30 seconds and replace. This will clear any codes in the unit and allow you to start fresh.
5. Go to control panel and set water heater control to gas only (bottle indicated no lighting bolts)
6. Green led should be illuminated the Truma unit next to where the glass fuse was and it should light and it begin to heat water.
7. Check outside vent to make sure hot air is coming out of the vent.
8. Unit should begin to make hot water, as long as no triangle with exclamation is not indicated on the control panel the unit should be working.
9. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes and you should have hot water, if so you can switch the unit to electric instead of Propane (Bottle indication to lightning bolts) to maintain hot water and not use your propane. The unit has a number of heating modes, Propane, electric, with various degrees of heat.

Hopefully this will work for you.
Dan
Old 05-28-2023, 10:21 AM   #9
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
I have called the customer support before and as previously mentioned they are very helpful. You said you turned on the propane. Probably necessary in this case with that error code. Also make sure propane is actually working by making sure at stove top. On my Travato I have two switches to activate propane. One inside and one outside. Both have to have 12 volts supplying each in order to work. Sometimes the outside switch corrodes so as not to allow propane to flow. Just an fyi as this happened to me once. Fore sure contact Truma. Very knowledgeable.
Travato John
The propane is off. I wanted the heater to use electricity (in part to see if it was working). On electric selection, I am getting propane errors.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmaster View Post
The protection circuit in a Truma Combi is top end and is just about goof proof but it monitors everything in the unit and won't make hot water unless everything is perfect.

I know you have probably checked this and I don't want to be insulting but are you positively sure the unit is not in bypass. Considering mine has a combination of 5 valves, 3 waterline drains, 1 unit drain and a bypass it can be confusing. All 5 must be set correctly or the unit will just not function.

If you do need to call Truma have a smart phone handy to be able to text pictures to their tech support. I promise they are very thorough and will ask for pictures of your setup as they trouble shoot your issue.

I would try the following first:

1. Verify Propane is turned on and has correct operation, ie: make sure you can light your stove or other gas appliance.
2. Hook up to city water and double check your heater bypass and drain water valve settings,
3. Make sure water heater if full of water, open a hot water source to make sure all air is bleed.
4. Remove top plastic cover on Truma unit, remove glass fuse, wait 30 seconds and replace. This will clear any codes in the unit and allow you to start fresh.
5. Go to control panel and set water heater control to gas only (bottle indicated no lighting bolts)
6. Green led should be illuminated the Truma unit next to where the glass fuse was and it should light and it begin to heat water.
7. Check outside vent to make sure hot air is coming out of the vent.
8. Unit should begin to make hot water, as long as no triangle with exclamation is not indicated on the control panel the unit should be working.
9. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes and you should have hot water, if so you can switch the unit to electric instead of Propane (Bottle indication to lightning bolts) to maintain hot water and not use your propane. The unit has a number of heating modes, Propane, electric, with various degrees of heat.

Hopefully this will work for you.
Dan
I will try that. The Truma is the only thing on propane (the stove is electric induction).
Old 05-28-2023, 11:02 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim202259KL View Post
The propane is off. I wanted the heater to use electricity (in part to see if it was working). On electric selection, I am getting propane errors.
I am totally not a Truma expert, but I think the Combi using propane to quickly heat the water and then electricity to keep it hot.

Trust me, this could be completely wrong info. And I got it from the Internet which just means I could have searched for the wrong thing. Here's what I found:

Quote:
When the Truma senses the temperature desired for air and/or water are far from the present temperatures and you’re in MIX1 or MIX2, it’ll use propane to do some heating. Once it’s at or close to the desired temperatures, it’ll switch to electric and save your propane supply. The point here is that gas gets you to temperature a lot faster than electric. This will be important in the next section.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I am totally not a Truma expert, but I think the Combi using propane to quickly heat the water and then electricity to keep it hot.

Trust me, this could be completely wrong info. And I got it from the Internet which just means I could have searched for the wrong thing. Here's what I found:
The choices include electric only, propane only, and mix (a combination of the two, with two variants MIX1 and MIX2). To get error 212 using propane or mix makes sense but to get that code when using electric only suggests something is wrong (either something I did wrong or something wrong with the electronics (e.g., perhaps telling it to use electric only is being "interpreted" by the heater as use propane or mix)). Didn't have this problem last spring when I de-winterized and I followed the same steps. It's very strange.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:18 PM   #13
Travato 59K

Truma on propane

While this may not be exactly apropos to your issue, I also had an E212 error code on my Truma Combi last year which turned out to be a defective propane regulator, so the propane pressure to the Truma was not high enough for the unit to work. Replacing the regulator solved the problem. However, my unit still worked on just electric.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #14
Jim202259KL

Well, I figured it out. Somehow the control panel told the Truma that it was supposed to run on propane (even though I am sure I have never touched that setting; perhaps it was changed during a maintenance appointment but I have no idea why). At least fixing this was inexpensive. :-)
Old 06-18-2023, 09:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim202259KL View Post
Well, I figured it out. Somehow the control panel told the Truma that it was supposed to run on propane (even though I am sure I have never touched that setting; perhaps it was changed during a maintenance appointment but I have no idea why). At least fixing this was inexpensive. :-)
Sounds like the sort of thing that I find my computer and phone doing. Lots of the electronic marvels we use seem to have a way of changing settings at times, even when nobody has been in the settings!
My GPS suddenly stopped speaking to me tonight and the sound was totally down when i finally got around to checking!

I hate the first use of my desktop after the updates are done on Wednesday!
Old 06-18-2023, 09:34 PM   #16
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing that I find my computer and phone doing. Lots of the electronic marvels we use seem to have a way of changing settings at times, even when nobody has been in the settings!
My GPS suddenly stopped speaking to me tonight and the sound was totally down when i finally got around to checking!

I hate the first use of my desktop after the updates are done on Wednesday!
I'm with you. Little gremlins inside the desktop, inside the laptop, inside the phone, and now inside the RV. I guess they think we like surprises. Not those kind, no thank you.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The way to reset the Truma Combi is to have it powered on like normal, then remove the unit plastic cover then remove the fuse for 30 seconds and re-install. I have been told that this will reset the unit. Just removing coach power doesn't seem to get it to reset properly and having the unit powered and removing the fuse seems to get the unit and control panel synced back up again.

And by the way, I did go an check mine and even with the propane complete shut off and the unit in the eco mode and electric selected it did make hot water (took some time though). When camping I usually just select electric and gas heat up quickly then just uses the electric to maintain water temp. These units are really stingy when it comes to using gas, wish I could say the same for the Onan LP Gen.
Cheers, glad you got it solved!