Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2023, 02:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Angry Living area slide will not retract

We have a 2014 Vista 35F and the living area slide started making horrible noises opening and closing, worse when retracting. The other day it finally went bonkers and started to retract but was crooked (top out, bottom in). Hubby and son were able to push it out with a lot of strength but when they tried to retract, the same thing happened. We are at our home (thank goodness) and have a mobile tech coming on Tuesday. In the meantime, has anyone else had this problem and what can we do to get the slide back in? Get it in and take it somewhere to have the schwintek system replaced with another brand! Attached is a picture of how it looks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	185323
Old 03-04-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

on the slimrack system you would remove the motors at the top and move slide in with a socket and wrench. Not sure on the schwintek, but I believe it is similiar.
Old 03-04-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is one of those times when we might be better to let the pros do the fix as it can get kind of tricky simply getting to the right parts.
I see two tracks on the top and bottom of the slide and there is likely a matching set on the far side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	185325

There are usually two small motors one on each end with shafts that go up and down to hold smallish gears on the track. Those motors and gears turn forward or back to move the slide.
What can happen is there is some small twist in the slide or some reason for one gear to get somewhat off track and begin to bind and make noise. A some point that dragging/misalignment gets too much and some part in the linkage from top or bottom gear breaks. When one breaks it puts more strain on the other one on that motor and it then often breaks as well. A lot of times we wind up one side moving but not the other but in your case is sounds like the top two may have broken and not moving to get it crooked top to bottom instead of left to right.

I've never been bold enough to try to find a way into those motors but videos of doing it make it seem the motor is just pretty easy to swap out but getting the slide to thr right position and taking the correct trim off to find the motor is not something I've tried.
If you pull the inside rubber flap back, you may be able to spot the motor inside a channel when inside with the slide partly extended.

Lots of videos of folks doing the job, but I'm one to pass on this job!

But to move it when needed, this may work.
As somebody presses the switch a couple strong folks on the outside may be able to "walk" each end until they get the whole unit moved in. Kind of like pushing a cork into a bottle when it is tight? The motors may still be trying to move one part, so if you push at the right time and place to move the other part, it may work out?
Hit switch as you push, wiggle, push switch again?
At some point this can overheat the breaker or fuse on the slide, so knowing where this is and replacing it may be helpfull.

But then you may get lucky and it slides like greased!! I will wish you luck on that.

Once in, there is often a way to lay 2X4 on top of the slide to press against the trim and wall to make sure it can't go back out suddenly.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Replied to other post!
A check of the owners manual may turn up emergency action solutions for getting different type slides in??

On the picture question, it is that you are taking the picture with a phone rather than a true camera. The phone adds info to the digital picture telling which way is up and when we turn the phone over on the wrong side it still thinks up is the way you had the camera. A point where smart phones re not too smart?
But the solution is to use the camera with it upright, giving a mor enarrow field of view OR turn the phone so the other side is up and it may understand better!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mobile tech came today. He and hubby were able to get the slide retracted. I wasn't home so not sure how it was done; I do know they had a couple of jacks under the slide to begin with. Now we will get it to a repair shop for ordering what is needed and replaced. At least we can use it with the slide in and no need to cancel this weekends plans.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

FWIW, very few RV technicians are proficient at repairing slide mechanisms. I took our 5er back to the factory repair shop so the slide mechanism was repaired correctly the first time.
I would at a minimum inquire about the repair shop technicians qualifications before commissioning the job..
It is your money and property.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You need to disengage the motor to move the slide manually.

This is from my user manual not sure it is the same for yours so make sure you get a manual for your model.

Syncing will not fix a top to bottom alignment. You will probably have to get it into a shop. If you broke some teeth you will be upgrading to a slim rack system since the schwintec is no longer available. Maybe you can get them use but not sure that is worth it.

After you disengage the motors and get it pused in a few inches four reversible clamps on the inside might help you get it back in all the way and hold it in place while you drive.

Disengage Motors, Manually Retract Room and Travel Lock
1. Bend back wipe seal. Visually locate motor and motor retention screw. Remove the screw (Figs. 4, 5
and 7).
2. Pull the motor up until disengaged. Replace the motor retention screw to hold the motor in this
position (Fig. 6).
3. Repeat this process for both sides of the slide room.
4. Push or pull room back in to the opening while keeping the sides relatively even.
5. The room must be travel locked to keep room in place for road travel.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You need to disengage the motor to move the slide manually.

This is from my user manual not sure it is the same for yours so make sure you get a manual for your model. Moving it with out disengaging the motor will probably cause damage.

Syncing will not fix a top to bottom alignment. You will probably have to get it into a shop. If you broke some teeth you will be upgrading to a slim rack system since the schwintec is no longer available. Maybe you can get them use but not sure that is worth it.

After you disengage the motors and get it pused in a few inches four reversible clamps on the inside might help you get it back in all the way and hold it in place while you drive.

Disengage Motors, Manually Retract Room and Travel Lock
1. Bend back wipe seal. Visually locate motor and motor retention screw. Remove the screw (Figs. 4, 5
and 7).
2. Pull the motor up until disengaged. Replace the motor retention screw to hold the motor in this
position (Fig. 6).
3. Repeat this process for both sides of the slide room.
4. Push or pull room back in to the opening while keeping the sides relatively even.
5. The room must be travel locked to keep room in place for road travel.

Tags
slide