Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Good looking rig! However, the front end of the truck looks a little high from this photo. Perhaps you need to clamp down a bit more on the bars of your WD Hitch?
What photo?

As to your comment, the truck's suspension is apparently modified and that could also entail changing the attitude of the truck. Ignoring the possible aftermarket changes, I really don't understand why truck manufacturers these days tend to have their beds high relative to the rest of the truck. I find it annoying because it reduces driver visibility on the back and sides, and because it makes it more difficult to load things into the truck. Ignoring the fact that my Colorado has a T-cover, my 89 4x4 Ranger is much better suited for hauling a refrigerator, and it's a model that came from the factory with a 1" lift compared to other trim levels of the same year. I should measure sometime, but I suspect the tailgate is over 6" lower on the older Ranger.

GM even offers a kit to "level" the Colorado/Canyon somewhat.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/05...now-available/
Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Just finished a 3780 mile trip from Ohio to Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado. 2016 4WD Canyon V6 Gasser CCLB truck hitched to a 2108FBS Micro Mini. I already had the truck for a couple of years before I bought the Micro Mini, and took GM at their word that it would haul a 3,780LB Dry Weight trailer which is well within the 7,000lb towing limit.

Found that the truck tows very poorly with the Cruise Control engaged on the highway. On an uphill grade, the Transmission routinely was shifting into 2nd gear at 6000+ RPM to maintain 65MPH speed even with the Tow/Haul mode on. Once I eliminated the use of the cruise control, and managed the speed of the truck/transmission manually at a wider range (+/- 10MPH), things went much better.

I also had trouble with the 6 speed Trans overheating in the mountains on steeper uphill grades due to the high RPM's (4,000+) required to pull the load uphill. I had to pull over a couple times when I got above 7500ft elevation to allow the trans to cool down before proceeding.

Overall, I would give the V6 Canyon/Mini combination a C+ as the truck pulled well at lower elevations with relatively flat grades. In Higher elevations/grades I would have to give it a D-. For the entire trip, I averaged 12.7MPG on the trip computer, with about 3,100 miles towing and the rest touring the area without the trailer.

Suggest if you plan to Travel east of the Rockies, you will be OK with the Canyon - otherwise pony up for the 1500 truck. That is what I am going to do before my next long distance trip.
mcginna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginna View Post
I also had trouble with the 6 speed Trans overheating in the mountains on steeper uphill grades due to the high RPM's (4,000+) required to pull the load uphill. I had to pull over a couple times when I got above 7500ft elevation to allow the trans to cool down before proceeding.
What temperatures did it get up to?
Old 07-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
What temperatures did it get up to?
I stopped whenever I saw the transmission exceed 200F - one time on a long uphill slog, it got up to 205F

Normally it runs below 190
Old 07-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I stopped whenever I saw the transmission exceed 200F - one time on a long uphill slog, it got up to 205F

Normally it runs below 190
That is not overheating by any means. Even 225 would be okay with that transmission.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
That is not overheating by any means. Even 225 would be okay with that transmission.
205 was what the temp gauge said, but my nose was telling me something was way too hot. Safer to pull over and let it idle until it cooled off.

At any rate, running 5-6000 RPM all the way up a mountain at 7500 feet near Taos, NM taxed the little engine too much.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
205 was what the temp gauge said, but my nose was telling me something was way too hot. Safer to pull over and let it idle until it cooled off.

At any rate, running 5-6000 RPM all the way up a mountain at 7500 feet near Taos, NM taxed the little engine too much.
I don't think you could possibly smell the transmission if you were moving, nor would it smell at 205.

But yes, these small gas engines really need to rev to get the HP to go up hills. You should watch the Jeep Gladiator IKE Gauntlet test--it's like engine torture. It's not the reason I went with the diesel, but it is nice to not have to rev over 3,500. Also they tend to be quieter in those situations. People claim the engines are designed for that, but I would only do that to a rental. Start at about the 13:30 mark of the video and continue for about 3 minutes.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I don't think you could possibly smell the transmission if you were moving, nor would it smell at 205.

But yes, these small gas engines really need to rev to get the HP to go up hills. You should watch the Jeep Gladiator IKE Gauntlet test--it's like engine torture. It's not the reason I went with the diesel, but it is nice to not have to rev over 3,500. Also they tend to be quieter in those situations. People claim the engines are designed for that, but I would only do that to a rental. Start at about the 13:30 mark of the video and continue for about 3 minutes.

I have heard really good things about the 2.8 Duramax in the Colorado/Canyon, is that what you run?

I am contemplating the 3.0 Duramax in the 2020 Silverado, it has a ton of torque, and the reviews have been pretty good. Any experience with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Not sure why the picture didn’t show up. I see it. Hope you can too.

With regards to the hitch set up. . .

I’m using the equalizer four point with sway. The suspension is actually within 1/4 inch of the measurement prior to installing the WD hitch. Within limits. I’m going to rework everything after I get the trailer lifted.

I think I went over at least 4 passes in excess of 11k feet. The highest trans temps I had were 240 and it touched it briefly. Actually those temps were seen at lower altitudes in the desert between Las Vegas and Barstow with 100+ degree temps. No unusual odors. Truck performed flawlessly. Truck has 85k miles on it. More is better. But the MiniMax will get the job done.
Captain_RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #30
MicroMinnie 2018DS

Quote:
For me it wasn't so much what I could afford, but instead what I could fit in my garage.

I didn't consider that, though I should have. Our F-150 barely fits in the garage with the other car and all the other accumulated stuff. Our garage is plenty tall, but not so wide or long with all the shelving and benches.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have heard really good things about the 2.8 Duramax in the Colorado/Canyon, is that what you run?

I am contemplating the 3.0 Duramax in the 2020 Silverado, it has a ton of torque, and the reviews have been pretty good. Any experience with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance
Yes, that's what I have, but I haven't gone on any really steep runs with it yet. Washington has mountains but the passes are relatively moderate. I've been able to maintain speed most places with the RPMs at only 2,800, only sometimes needing to go to about 3,500.

The main reason I went with the diesel was range. The tanks on the gas mid-size trucks are too small for towing, IMHO, at least if you're like me and worry about where the next station is when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

The 3.0s from all three manufacturers have a lot more torque and HP than the 2.8 Duramax, so they would be much better towing, but they are all new engines so of unproven reliability. The Chevy 3.0 is the only one with an exhaust brake, which is a very nice feature, but it's also I think the only one that doesn't have the option for a larger fuel tank. Still it reportedly gets pretty good MPG towing.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
I didn't consider that, though I should have. Our F-150 barely fits in the garage with the other car and all the other accumulated stuff. Our garage is plenty tall, but not so wide or long with all the shelving and benches.
Barely fits is good enough! I had to change out the stubby antenna on the top of the Colorado cab. We even brought the truck home during the test drive to make sure it would fit.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #33
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Yes, that's what I have, but I haven't gone on any really steep runs with it yet. Washington has mountains but the passes are relatively moderate. I've been able to maintain speed most places with the RPMs at only 2,800, only sometimes needing to go to about 3,500.

The main reason I went with the diesel was range. The tanks on the gas mid-size trucks are too small for towing, IMHO, at least if you're like me and worry about where the next station is when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

The 3.0s from all three manufacturers have a lot more torque and HP than the 2.8 Duramax, so they would be much better towing, but they are all new engines so of unproven reliability. The Chevy 3.0 is the only one with an exhaust brake, which is a very nice feature, but it's also I think the only one that doesn't have the option for a larger fuel tank. Still it reportedly gets pretty good MPG towing.
Yep, tank range is a big deal, don't know why mid-size truck manufactures only slap a 21g fuel tank in. My '05 Tundra with the 4.7l V8 had a 26.5g fuel tank and it was the same dimensions as a 2019 Tacoma or your Colorado. Heck, even the short 4Runner has a 23g tank.

Go through Utah on I70 towing with a gas midsize you make sure you top up in Green River or Salina. 110 miles between fuel stations.

I like midsize 4WD trucks because of the versatility, you can tow a small trailer decently, then when you unhook, the midsize truck with a tight turning circle you can go offroading to your heart's desire, and use it as a daily driver and Home Depot runs also.
SonofBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofBert View Post
Yep, tank range is a big deal, don't know why mid-size truck manufactures only slap a 21g fuel tank in. .
I was waiting a couple of years for the Ranger to come out again, and then discovered it only had something like an 18 gallon tank!

BTW, I just read that the Gladiator will come with the 3.0 diesel in 2021. That should be a nice tow vehicle.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #35
2019 1706fb

Quote:
I was waiting a couple of years for the Ranger to come out again, and then discovered it only had something like an 18 gallon tank!

BTW, I just read that the Gladiator will come with the 3.0 diesel in 2021. That should be a nice tow vehicle.
I was also surprised to see the new Ranger had that tiny fuel tank, that's an immediate red flag. I wouldn't mind owning a Gladiator but those are some capital E expensive trucks!
SonofBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Note that for reasons that truly baffled me when looking for my tow vehicle.. Chevy/GM have a max fuel tank on their 1/2 ton trucks of just 24G.

It would appear they felt that if you go with 3.0 engine, you need even less tank size and only get a 22G.

The 36G tank on the F150 is possibly the best feature when it comes to towing. This past holiday weekend being able to get to/from campground w/o the need to stop at a gas station full of every wahoo on the front range and their camper+boat+ATV setups taking up 50% of the pumps was very very nice.
COSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSCamper View Post
Note that for reasons that truly baffled me when looking for my tow vehicle.. Chevy/GM have a max fuel tank on their 1/2 ton trucks of just 24G.

It would appear they felt that if you go with 3.0 engine, you need even less tank size and only get a 22G.

The 36G tank on the F150 is possibly the best feature when it comes to towing. e.
When I was shopping I didn't even look at Chevy full size, so I didn't realize they didn't have a large tank option. I'm pretty sure both Ram and Ford do, so I don't know what GM is thinking. Seemingly they could sell more trucks with just that one change.

As to the 3.0, you probably do "need" a smaller tank with a diesel as opposed to a gas engine, but there's also what you should "want." So again I really don't get what they're thinking (and ditto with Ford on the Ranger tank). Vehicles designed to tow need larger tanks!
Old 07-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Good looking rig! However, the front end of the truck looks a little high from this photo. Perhaps you need to clamp down a bit more on the bars of your WD Hitch?
Looks like an e2 fastway/equalizer? . With that much front end up I would say adjustment of the washers is necessary. The setup manual has clear instructions about how to get everything level. The problem with a high front end is the truck will have a lack of front end steering control and weight at the road. Probably only an issue during an emergency manuevre since clearly truck is handling well for thousands of miles. The trailer itself appears level so hitch height is good.

This is back squat heavily affects modified trucks with a lift or leveling kit.

I would love to have the baby dmax! It is a super cool new engine and setup.

As far as fastway products, I let my dealer install it and drove it for two years and just checked torque. When I read the manual to adjust setup to my new truck I realized they had it installed wrong and could have been a problem.
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
When I was shopping I didn't even look at Chevy full size, so I didn't realize they didn't have a large tank option. I'm pretty sure both Ram and Ford do, so I don't know what GM is thinking. Seemingly they could sell more trucks with just that one change.

As to the 3.0, you probably do "need" a smaller tank with a diesel as opposed to a gas engine, but there's also what you should "want." So again I really don't get what they're thinking (and ditto with Ford on the Ranger tank). Vehicles designed to tow need larger tanks!
Chevy 1500 has a larger tank only on single cab long bed pickups. The rest is industry standard. You will have a very hard time finding half ton trucks of other makes with the extended tank on dealer lots unless you order it custom. I looked for a toyota tundra with the big tank and it was nowhere.

I agree chevy needs to get a better option. My 02' half ton had a 26 gallon tank and now its smaller? Doesn't make sense. Huge reason why I got a HD truck was fuel range. I can tow for 5 hours comfortably and reduce long term fuel stops drastically.
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Just finished a 3780 mile trip from Ohio to Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado. 2016 4WD Canyon V6 Gasser CCLB truck hitched to a 2108FBS Micro Mini...

Bought my 1500 Suburban knowing there was a small radiator leak. Knew where I was headed - a Cold Case 3" all aluminum radiator with the integral transmission cooler that gives me two transmission coolers with the external cooler that was part of the HD Towing package that came on the truck. My mechanic and I checked for max allowable temperatures in the service specs; they indicated the warning lights came on at 270 degrees.

Just saw 205 degrees on a very steep 7 mile pull off of Parksville Lake on the Ocoee River here in SE Tennessee, so I'm well within limits. The bigger truck pulls much easier and much more safely than the little ZR2. Can't wait to see how the Z71-spec Moog springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks do as a replacement for the blown-out air ride suspension they just replaced but it's too hot to head out for a weekend. Planning a three day, three campground loop in October to test our ability to travel for several days in a row to get to a destination and make sure the Suburban is ready for cross-country trips.

Tags
tow