Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrailer View Post
Chevy 1500 has a larger tank only on single cab long bed pickups. The rest is industry standard. You will have a very hard time finding half ton trucks of other makes with the extended tank on dealer lots unless you order it custom. I looked for a toyota tundra with the big tank and it was nowhere.

I agree chevy needs to get a better option. My 02' half ton had a 26 gallon tank and now its smaller? Doesn't make sense. Huge reason why I got a HD truck was fuel range. I can tow for 5 hours comfortably and reduce long term fuel stops drastically.

Another reason for me to get the Suburban - a 31 gallon gas tank. Just could not figure how I was going to run two-lanes in New Mexico, Arizona, and SW Texas on 19 gallons plus a couple of Jerry cans of gas.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Well I started out towing our 1708FB with our Subaru Ascent, and although it got the job done, I wasn’t confident in its long term durability or ability especially in mountainous conditions. I found a very good deal on an Ford F-150 and decided to upgrade. This model has the 5.0 V-8, tow package with backup assist and a 36 gallon gas tank, now we should be confident in long travels with our Micro Minnie !
skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #43
Winnebago Watcher

Started out towing our 210FBS with a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x2, which actually has slightly more towing capacity than the 4x4 Tacoma.
I remember when we picked up the trailer at the dealer and towed it to the storage place, a distance of only about 20 miles. I was not impressed with the Tacoma's towing power, but I loved the truck in all other regards.
2 things I noticed right off:
1) even with a properly installed WDH the Tacoma felt lite on the front axle and the 2106FBS isn't heavy
2) the small gas tank on the Tacoma means far more fuel stops than I like...

We took the camper on its maiden trip a few weeks later from Acworth GA to Gadsden AL. It used almost 3/4 tank of gas to go about 85 miles.

On the way home as we started up a steeper hill in east AL I felt the Tacoma straining and the front felt really light. Keep in mind I had no sag on the back axle when level and hooked up with the WDH.

About half way up the hill I looked at my wife and said "I think we need a bigger truck with a bigger engine and a bigger gas tank" and to my amazement she agreed 100%. By the end of the next week we had a new Tundra XSP Double Cab 5.7 V8 with a gas tank just shy of 40 gallons...

A few weeks later we towed the camper from Acworth GA to Navarre Beach FL, a distance of about 370 miles and approximately 6.5 hours. We only had to stop for gas ONCE. Towing with the Tundra was a completely different experience, enjoyable and stress free. Lots of power, stable, comfortable, with minimal stopping for gas.

I am a firm believer in having more truck than you think you need to tow a travel trailer. It simply makes things easier all around in my mind.
Shepster2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #44
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
When I was shopping I didn't even look at Chevy full size, so I didn't realize they didn't have a large tank option. I'm pretty sure both Ram and Ford do, so I don't know what GM is thinking. Seemingly they could sell more trucks with just that one change.

As to the 3.0, you probably do "need" a smaller tank with a diesel as opposed to a gas engine, but there's also what you should "want." So again I really don't get what they're thinking (and ditto with Ford on the Ranger tank). Vehicles designed to tow need larger tanks!
Been looking at the new Ford Bronco specs. 16.9g fuel tank for the 2-dr (nope), 20.8g for the 4-dr (maybe). 4-dr 21g may be adequate paired with the 2.7l V6 and 10-spd auto.

310hp and 400tq, the 2.7 twin turbo is very torquey at low RPM's so one could grind along at 3k rpm on steep grades AND at high altitude since it's a turbo.

I bet 14-15mpg avg is easily done hauling our light trailers even in the Mountain West, so that's decent tank range. Heck, I get 10mpg avg with a 4.7l 4Runner V8 in the Mountain West, turbo will do better on the same terrain with the same trailer.

I'm intrigued. I like towing with the smallest most nimble 4WD I can find. Ford as of now has a crappy little ClassII hitch on the Bronco rated for 3500lbs. However, the Bronco is based on the Ranger frame so a ClassIV hitch can be installed.
SonofBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepster2Go View Post
1) even with a properly installed WDH the Tacoma felt lite on the front axle and the 2106FBS isn't heavy
2) the small gas tank on the Tacoma means far more fuel stops than I like...
Just out of curiosity, are you measuring the height of the front wheel well before hooking up and then after the WDH is hooked up? The heights should be very close (but no lower) and if so you shouldn't feel light.

As to the second point fuel range is the reason I went with the Chevy Colorado Duramax. I needed a midsize to fit in my garage and the diesel was the only way I saw to get sufficient range. Also, if I do need to carry extra fuel I feel more comfortable carrying diesel than gasoline.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofBert View Post
I bet 14-15mpg avg is easily done hauling our light trailers even in the Mountain West, so that's decent tank range.
If you can get that mileage that would be "decent" range, but I get range anxiety when I get much below a half a tank if I'm in unfamiliar rural areas. So I don't consider the entire tank part of my "range."
Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #47
2019 1706fb

Quote:
If you can get that mileage that would be "decent" range, but I get range anxiety when I get much below a half a tank if I'm in unfamiliar rural areas. So I don't consider the entire tank part of my "range."
I could live with a 21g tank since the tradeoff is a 4WD very capable offroad body-on-frame SUV. Have to make sacrifices sometimes in search of versatility. 5g Rotopax for insurance.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #48
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you measuring the height of the front wheel well before hooking up and then after the WDH is hooked up? The heights should be very close (but no lower) and if so you shouldn't feel light.

As to the second point fuel range is the reason I went with the Chevy Colorado Duramax. I needed a midsize to fit in my garage and the diesel was the only way I saw to get sufficient range. Also, if I do need to carry extra fuel I feel more comfortable carrying diesel than gasoline.
Hmm, saw this Ike Gauntlet test towing with the GMC Canyon 2.8l turbodiesel

6.7mpg uphill on Ike is very good. I saw an F150 Ike Gauntlet towing test with the 2.7l gas turbo, 4.5mpg. 2.2mpg difference towing with a 21g fuel tank isn't enough of a difference to me to go for a diesel in a midsize truck or SUV like the new Bronco with the 2.7l gas turbo.

I think that new Bronco will be very popular. Looks like it has a reasonable cost, $37k for a mid-grade trim with the 2.7l 4-dr.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofBert View Post
6.7mpg uphill on Ike is very good. I saw an F150 Ike Gauntlet towing test with the 2.7l gas turbo, 4.5mpg. 2.2mpg difference towing with a 21g fuel tank isn't enough of a difference to me to go for a diesel in a midsize truck or SUV like the new Bronco with the 2.7l gas turbo.
I was limited to a midsize by the size of my garage. My preference would have been an f-150 or F-250. But since I was limited the comparison would need to be to other midsize trucks.

Also, I wouldn't use the IKE test for MPG and range because going down the other side you'll be getting 80 mpg! (I do have to reset my 25, 50 and sometimes even 250 MPG best mileage counters after going down a pass.)

I'm not a fan of Fast Lane Truck's MPG towing procedures, but they have the Duramax Canyon getting 12.7 and the V6 Colorado getting 8.7 That's a significant difference, and ignoring the Ridgeline the other midsize would be similar. FLT used to have more data on this page, but the 2.8 Duramax gets the best mileage ignoring a cheater engine, and back when I bought those high scoring 3.0s didn't exist.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/06/mpg...-listed-specs/
Old 07-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #50
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

Yes, when they installed the WDH I watched the entire process and we measured before and after hitching up. There was about 3/8inch difference in the front wheel wells compared to the rear when hitched.

In saying the front end felt light I mean it felt sluggish in steering response, if that makes sense. Like the tires didn't have enough grip on the road.

I get the issue with getting a truck the size of the Tundra if you intend to keep it in the garage. My Tundra is @19.5 feet long. It fits in my garage (barely) but I do have an older house with bigger garage space than what you find on newer houses.
Shepster2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepster2Go View Post
Yes, when they installed the WDH I watched the entire process and we measured before and after hitching up. There was about 3/8inch difference in the front wheel wells compared to the rear when hitched..
You don't measure the rear at all. You measure the front without being hooked up and then the front after being hooked up. The rear will be what the rear will be, and if that is similar to the front that would be mere coincidence.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Got the new truck hooked up with WDH today and hooked the Minnie up to it, boy what a difference from our Subaru SUV. Now I have total confidence towing !
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D6E6285-542A-4580-AB02-91C5DC0EF00F.jpeg
Views:	466
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	174312
Old 07-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetman View Post
Looks Fantastic!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #54
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Got the new truck hooked up with WDH today and hooked the Minnie up to it, boy what a difference from our Subaru SUV. Now I have total confidence towing !
Attachment 174312
Nice truck/trailer combo, I'm jealous. Use the truck brakes gently for the first 500 miles, there is a bedding procedure for disc brakes https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=85

I often see new truck owners don't bed the brakes properly, then complain the rotors are warped and have premature pad wear.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Attachment 174312
I like the truck-to-trailer ratio. That should transform the experience. Congratulations!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #56
MicroMinnie 2018DS

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. We started with a 2015 Highlander XLE (I think) with the tow package, which is mostly more transmission cooling. We moved to a 2016 F-150 last year and it is night and day in terms of comfort and confidence when towing.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #57
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
I know exactly what you mean. We started with a 2015 Highlander XLE (I think) with the tow package, which is mostly more transmission cooling. We moved to a 2016 F-150 last year and it is night and day in terms of comfort and confidence when towing.
Part of it is just that a relatively small V6 is not going to give a good towing experience, unless you can tolerate a lot of revs for hours on end. Yes the engines are designed to do that, but it can be unnerving.

That's the appeal of the Colorado/Canyon Duramax in the midsize segment. Sure it won't be able to maintain speed at well on extreme climbs, but it also won't be screaming all day just trying to go 65 on the flats.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordichawk View Post
I'm curious on what is your tow vehicle for towing your Micro Minnie 1706FB/1708FB and how it performs in various traffic conditions and elevations.
We tow our 2018 1706FB with a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan with the optional OEM Class 3 tow package, with auto-trim self-leveling air bag rear suspension (part of the O.E.M) tow package..and we use a WDH hitch set to 4 chain links on the stress bars. We get 12-15 mpg towing at 60 mph on flat highway, with a moderate head wind. The Grand Caravan handles the trailer like a dream. I never travel over 60 mph in any of my past tow vehicles and past owned T.T.'s.

We are on vacation...so, relaxing...60 mph tops, is fast enough! For myself and family, anyways!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

If we didn’t have plans for bigger trips with longer hauls, including heading out west next year, I would have been content continuing to tow with our Ascent. But now knowing the capabilities of our truck, it gives me more confidence and peace of mind I won’t be pushing my tow vehicles limits.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #60
Winnebago Camper

We tow our 2020 2106FBS with 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7 Ecoboost. Only disappointment with our F150 is the 26 gallon tank(220 miles range), should got the 36 gallon tank instead. We also have Equalizer WDH. Never issue with power or stability at HWY speed.
ttnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow