Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Via Owners are you level?

My 2011 does not sit level, while parked on level concrete the front is approximately 3" low, is this how yours is to? This is not fully loaded but very close, within 300 lbs of GVW. Whenever we camp at a level spot we always need to raise the front, just wondering how normal this is.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

yes. Somewhere I read that the sprinter chassis was built that way.
banjoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Level

We had a 2011 Itasca Reyo and yes, the nose is a bit lower. Not a big deal as most pads are not level anyway so you’ve got to roll up onto leveling blocks.
SpudNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

2013 Via 25T. I put bubble levels on the door and dash to indicate when the floor of the refrigerator is level; This is what is important. We also tend to put heavier items in the back (under the twin bunks). Often we are towing a small boat, so that adds some weight to the very rear when driving.

Our home pad has a very slight downward slope toward the front of the RV, and a more pronounced slope toward the driver's side. We put a 1 1/2 set of boards under the driver's side tires, but the same front to back and still have the refrigerator bubble level within the circle.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Roman engineers were the first to incorporate a 1/4" per foot slope rate to help shed rain or volunteer water (overflowing creeks) from roads, roofs, drainage, water pipes, and/or channels. Rule of thumb still used to this day. Even though an RV has a slightly domed roof in most cases, this is still sort of necessary (in my limited experience living full time in two different Class A's) and most of us slope down at the front a bit anyway to help to help shed water quickly. If it's raining a lot, might even jog the jacks so it's tilted more to one side or the other to try to hide large exposures with potential gaps in the caulking like the big windows on one side or the other. Depending on wind.

Using the rule of thumb, a 36' RV would have a 9" slope back to front, if it were a road. I think you're good with a 3" slope. BTW, newer RV refers would be fine with a 3" slope.

One other thing, with a Winnie Class A, those running lights over the window are potential leak spots so wouldn't hurt to caulk around them. I use clear Silicone. Then the front windows...wouldn't hurt to have stick on gutters over them.

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the 3" is normal. I do try and park uphill when possible, Bob I tried to put a level on the door sill but couldn't really find a spot that was good so for now the wife just stands by the counter and watches the bubble.
One thing I will share, after years of using 2x8 boards, plastic levelers that crush or those wedges that you drive up on I hit upon a better leveling pad that is cheap, easy, indestructible and the way they stack and grip they don't shift or slide and the tires just climb right up onto them. What are they you ask?

They are 16x16 rubber pavers from Lowe's ($5.49ea), cut in half so $2.75 each piece. 3/4" increments. I love them. Only takes seconds to lay them or stack them. You can use one for a kneeling pad when reaching for the inside dual. Dirt just falls off them when you smack them together to put away. I love them. They are just the right size for LT sizes of tires, both length and width. When you stack them they form a stair step against the curve of the tire and the tire just walks up with very little accelerator pedal. Did I say I love them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220623_145750.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	183748   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_091334.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	183749  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220629_061128.jpg